A couple RSM 130D questions

JoeCanada11

So been doing some more reading and I keep reading about the "chamber of death". What do most of you recommend for media in this chamber and how did you raise it?

Secondly I'm monitoring my temp before light go on and right when they are about to go out and I'm getting a swing of about 1.5 F. Is this an acceptable difference throughout the day?

Ours was at least that much. Some days it was 2 degrees. We had to use a fan in the summer to keep it from swinging more than 2 degrees. I had a fan setup on a timer to come on when the lights come on and go off about 10 minutes after the lights went out. Now that we have the rsm 650 we have a chiller. The only way to go.

Matt

JoeCanada11

Thanks. In the summer the air conditioning will take care of things. One decent thing about Canada is that it usually doesn't get so hot that AC can't handle things.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Joe I highly suggest you invest in an inTank Media basket for the "Chamber of Death". It will make life so much easier especially if you ever change out the stock skimmer. I'm sure others will offer more suggestions :)

JoeCanada11

Hey Al. I have been thinking about the media basket. But that only works if I remove the skimmer and switch it to a smaller one like tunze or fluval etc correct?

Joe we had to keep our house at 72 to maintain 79-81 in the tank. That was with a fan. What's wired is that our electric bill was no more this past summer than when I kept the ac 78 day and 74 night

JoeCanada11

Thanks for the heads up. Ill be keeping an eye on temp as things warm up. Ok here's another question. Right now my SG and salinit is low because as a noob I didn't calibrate my refractometer before filling be tank up. So right now I'm sitting at 1.022. Can I add some salt to my top off a little at a time to bump it to 1.025? Would that be the best solution. My tank is still cycling for a few more weeks so apparently water changes are off limits.

If our salinity ever got off we just topped it off with saltwater until it was where we wanted it. Might take a day or two to get it here you want it we id not have an ato. Not sure about putting it in an ato. I'd never put it in our 650 reservoir.

JoeCanada11

I don't have an ago yet. I won't bother setting one up until I go on vacation. That scares me a bit. I'm sure it's not as hard as it looks but some of this stuff seems a bit complicated.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Joe it has been brought to my attention that the true "Chamber Of Death" is considered to be ONLY the return chamber where we have our return pumps. I thought it was the entire back chamber area but I "thought wrong" LOL! (Thank you Glenn).

I don't keep ANY media in the return pump area and don't know if others do or not.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The term COD/Chamber of death... was started by some RSM Club member back when the 1st RSM 130 came out back in 2008, as it was time consuming to pull the two pumps on a RSM 130/130D to get to Red Sea stock setup where they suggest one runs carbon.

Here a direct link to my $5 COD rack... if interested http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44439-glenns-rsm-130d-24.html#post782512

In my RSM 130D I ran cpe & purigen... only RSM 130/130D's have the infamous cod - chamber of death ;) back left side

JoeCanada11

Thanks Al and Glenn. I may do a little mod like yours Glenn for now. Would it also work if I tied then to a fishing line and used a magnet to suspend it?

JoeCanada11

Will do Glenn. That was a nice little mod. I also like the idea of running the sponge after maintenance and trapping all the stuff that gets dislodged.

a16xso

hi ive just modded my tank, i removed my carbon and bio filter and now run with chemi pure eltie and purigen. i also brought a new sponge filter as i wanted to change all my filters the same time so there all fresh and the sponge filter is only like £10.

i used a plant pot to rasie my new chemipure and purigen filters. went to my local garden shop and brought a pack off small plant pots. (10 for £1 lol) i then just drill loads off wholes in it and turned it upside down and put it in, then just sat my new filters on top :)