Red Sea max 130/130D rimless mod

Eyehateyou

Has anyone one done this mod???

8e8363e248dee349d10a4df0cff34f3d.jpg
da2d82cf23b8b9e97e26f32bd3045002.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whip

"If" I do it, I am going to roll with the InTank filtration cover...

image.jpg

I am thinking about going with Kessil LEDs for lighting.

I am still on the fence.

Eyehateyou

My only concern is does the rim have anything to do with the strength of the tank?
I emailed Red Sea to ask. And got a unhelpful answer.

Eyehateyou

No, but I am thinking about doing it. I think during my research into it, I ran across the same photo.

Are you debating it too?

Yeah I'm very tempted to do this. Looks so much better!!!!
The reply from Red Sea -
Unfortunately we cannot comment on the suitability of this modification as the aquarium has not been designed or tested for operation this way, I can however say that I have seen this performed on a number of aquariums on many different forums

whip

Their response was a good one... and a typical one when asked about modifying their product. They don't want to take on the liability if things go bad. Makes sense.

So, like any mod, just do your research a pull the trigger when you feel confident.

I CAN tell you that during my research, I found nothing happened structurally to anyone's tank that did this. I even heard that the glass was rounded beneath the top trim. That's a big bonus. I was worried that I'd remove the top trim and that glass would be razor sharp.

whip

From what I have read, you make a cut where the top trim meets the filter chamber trim and peel the top trim off. It is held on to the glass with the same silicone that they used for the rest of the tank.

Big Pete

I would like to try it but i dont think i have the bottle , i would never forgive myself if it went wrong and i damaged the tank

Eyehateyou

Same here... I've even got to having my dremal in my hand ready to go! And bottled it... But really, what can go wrong?

whip

The rim is beveled isn't it???

Is anyone going to have a go???

I will undoubted end up doing it, but I have to buy the lighting I want to go with (and ultimately decide what lighting to go with). If I go Kessil, it is going to run me around $700. I need to buy the lights before I pop the hood and rim. It'll take me a while to save up the cash to do it. I am guessing I'll do it in the winter.

You should start a tank thread and share your build for those of us thinking about doing it. I'll be a good read.

whip

Same here... I've even got to having my dremal in my hand ready to go! And bottled it... But really, what can go wrong?

I think the guy who's photos you posted did it with a hack saw. It was slower and more controlled.

whip

The rim is beveled isn't it???

Is anyone going to have a go???

I have "heard" it is beveled. That is a huge bonus because if you had to hand-bevel the glass on an existing tank full of water, not getting glass in the tank would be impossible.

Big Pete

please don't use a dremel, the vibration alone is enough to crack the glass, use a hack saw with a fine blade and go slow, really slow.
does everyone involved in this have rsm 130's or are there any 250 owners interested in this as my tank is a 250.

whip

please don't use a dremel, the vibration alone is enough to crack the glass, use a hack saw with a fine blade and go slow, really slow.
does everyone involved in this have rsm 130's or are there any 250 owners interested in this as my tank is a 250.

Haha. And the truth comes out!

Nice tank! Looks like your mod made it big on the web.

Do you have any updated photos?

Eyehateyou

But it wouldn't touch the acutal glass...

Big Pete

Hi Guys

i have found this response from Red Sea Kev, it was in response from a member who had bought a tank and the bottom trim was damaged, i hope this helps.

Ok Folks, as has been suggested over in the Max owners forum the trim is cosmetic, the glassware is formed and the trim added later so the split in the trim should not be an issue.

Just to air on the side of caution and in case there has been some impact to the glass if possible I would simply fill it on a firm flat level surface and leave it for a few days.

Ideally not next to your finest art works or a $1,000,000.00 rug:fingerx:

Red Sea Kev

Red Sea Group Technical Support Manager.