85 Gallon.....3 Foot Pile of rocks.

Squatch XXL

For you green hair algea have a look at Vibrant
I will check it out. At this point, I am just lazy. IF I get in there with a toothbrush, it just vanishes and does not grow back. I am in the process of making some sort of diy wet filter just for a few days while I scrub and agitate.

*Livestock update*

I have this single lonely Cardinal. I got him 2 more buddies and a sea hare. My cardinal took to instantly scaring them into hiding. Much like any other fish I owned, they vanished. The sea hare died too.

I am officially done buying livestock for a long time. I just think that the tank is at its max. There is never any fights but, every fish I have added after the current stock has been harassed. Thankfully, I am able to set up a 29g at brothers house. He will be the owner of a single blue damsel. I have basically been keeping a 40breeder running just for this fish. This weekend it should be taken over.

Squatch XXL

At this point, I am just lazy. IF I get in there with a toothbrush, it just vanishes and does not grow back.
I skipped the diy wet-filter. I did a 35 gallon water change after a good scrub. I moved the final rock over from my 40....it only took about 15 months. Pictures when the water clears. Things are re-adjusting. I beat it up basically.

There is never any fights but, every fish I have added after the current stock has been harassed.
Well, now that everyone got situated...One cardinal vanished, and the sea hare died quickly. The other cardinal has grown quite a bit, and is less afraid of the big/old one. I like watching them eat...they remind me of pac-man.

Squatch XXL

Wow. It was a late night fueled by coffee and some other diy projects. This post is a continuation of my previous one. It makes no sense why I posted that stuff in the morning, but it could have waited.

Here are some pictures. Id have taken them at 4 this morning, but they would just be big black squares.

This is the "color" of the tank with all 6 bulbs blasting out. I haven't made a big deal about these lights yet because all they were good for was growing my algae. Its a set of hamilton 6 bulb 36" t5 units. I have a mixed bundle of daylight, actinic and purple accenting bulbs. I like the transition of color from morning to night. Late nights are just actinic for a bit. This unit has lots of potential for diy. It has no switches. No timers. nothing. I have already replaced a ballast, and this thing is nothing more than a really nice reflector in a nice case. I prefer it over the leds any day.

All bulbs on:

Earlier in the day, without the actinics on.

This little guy is the reason I moved the large rock to the front of the tank. This was a gift from a local club member, and I can't stand to see any coral die.

The rock fits nice.

The tank is still a "mess". I have dead or recovering frag plugs all in the front from a disaster in my other tank. They need moved out.

I did enough ecological damage this week however. let everyone relax and recover. The fish seem to like the new rock. I made this years ago with leftover crushed coral, bio balls and sand. It has 3 legs and 3 "openings". One back into the cave of the rocks and the other as a passthrough. The fish seem quite a bit more happy to swim near the front of the glass now.

I have always called it the elephant rock because it somewhat looks like an elephant head if you see it from the right angle. I know you all have rocks you have nicknames for. It has a very un-organic look to it from one side, but I set a piece of frogskin near it, and it somewhat hides it.

Something else to address in a few weeks. I have to reach in right now to move a small frag I would like to live. I hate reaching in more than once or twice a month if I can help it.

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

Its shut down. All the livestock has been moved. Good times....We will try to revisit this. My 40g Breeder tank chronicle will be the official one. There was LOTS of growth. Things doubled or more in size....Including the rare treat of finding out that I didn't have an anemone, I had 3.