Nascar99

I have a 75g Fowlr

My stockists:
Aurigas butterfly
Raccoon butterfly
Occ clown
Firefish
Cleaner shrimp

Anyways, I have no skimmer or filter. I have a refuge in a 15g sump with chaeto as export, along with 10g a week water changes.

Will this be o.k long term? I want a dirty system for pods and things. And I don't have any algae issues or Cyrano. This tank has been running 1.2 years. I plan to add more fish

frisbee

That sounds fine to me.. What are your nitrates at? This is usually an indication of how hard your tank is working to process all the crap that's in it. The lower the number the better, but with a FOWLR tank elevated Nitrate levels are not as detrimental as they would be in a reef tank. GL.

DaveK

.... I plan to add more fish

That's the key, isn't it? Right now your likely OK, however long term you should consider adding a skimmer. You water quality will be much higher.

As for refugiums, they do tend to trap a lot of dirt, so you'll have a dirty tank. In fact, I would recommend that you clean that out from time to time. You'll still get plenty of pods and such.

Squatch XXL

That's the key, isn't it? Right now your likely OK, however long term you should consider adding a skimmer. You water quality will be much higher.
I cannot agree any more. From my experience, a skimmer is the only necessary filter. Any other filters can be helpful depending on livestocking....but a FOWLR with plenty of live rock can and does act as a filter, I just had much better luck with parameters in my 75g after getting a skimmer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

some great advise from all ^

Nascar99

My nitrates are almost always at 0

I have a few macro algae in my display as well

I know a skimmer would help, but I want tons of bugs for my butterflyfish to eat

Can I have 8 to 9 fish, appropriately sized.. And just live with what I have got filtration wise?

Squatch XXL

Can I have 8 to 9 fish, appropriately sized.. And just live with what I have got filtration wise?
Take your time on introduction of the livestock, and its possible. Id wait no less than 14 days in between adding of fish. Look at your livestock list, and their aggression and tendencies, then stock with the least territorial/aggressive first.

Keep up with water changes, and monitor conditions before each animal introduction. Your tank will tell you if/when it cannot keep up....however you must be diligent with water changes, and it may require changing less more often, or even the same amount more often....

Example:
If I have a 75g, I will change 7 gallon per week. However you may need to change 4+ gallon twice a week. Your test kits should be a great indicator of what the tank needs.

DaveK

My nitrates are almost always at 0

I have a few macro algae in my display as well

I know a skimmer would help, but I want tons of bugs for my butterflyfish to eat

A skimmer and good pod production are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

If you figure 8 fish at 3 inches each, you have 24 inches of fish, and your tank would be fully stocked, Your going to get a lot more waste products from the fish. Bottom line is that I would upgrade the existing filtration system and include a skimmer.

In my opinion, the existing filtration system with only macro algae will not cut it with that many fish.

Nascar99

Thx for all your help guys

I think I'll keep up what I have. Add slow, and watch my nitrates.

If I find my water quality going down I'll add more macro, and or increase water changes. Or consider just adding a skimmer.

I'm gonna watch my ph like a hawk too. A dropping ph usually means the tank needs more help

I know it might sound dumb but to me water changes just seem more natural, and if I can have a healthy system with bio filtration and water changes(what I have) I'd like that best.

Thx reef sanctuary, I love this site

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

Thx for all your help guys

If I find my water quality going down I'll add more macro, and or increase water changes. Or consider just adding a skimmer.

I'm gonna watch my ph like a hawk too. A dropping ph usually means the tank needs more help

I know it might sound dumb but to me water changes just seem more natural, and if I can have a healthy system with bio filtration and water changes(what I have) I'd like that best.
I am in the same boat as you for thought process. I have only ever run a "Berlin" style saltwater tank for simplicity reasons. The reason why we use skimmers (they are usually expensive) is that they actually save money over a short period of time. Water changes in saltwater are expensive, and a skimmer can reduce the frequency of water changes. A 5 gallon bucket of salt for 160 gallons of water cost $40-$60, and a skimmer for a 75g may cost $150ish +/-.....A 160 gallon bucket of salt is good for 22 water changes @ 7 gallons each....compounded at twice a week means that you will change out an entire 5 gallon bucket of salt every 11 weeks. A skimmer will most likely reduce that number back to a weekly water change. It sucks to pay up front that amount, but it will certainly save you money over the long haul, and your livestock will appreciate it.

A skimmer is IMHO the first and most important filter. It can be the only one needed as well based on individual parameters and stocking.

A skimmer and good pod production are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

If you figure 8 fish at 3 inches each, you have 24 inches of fish, and your tank would be fully stocked, Your going to get a lot more waste products from the fish. Bottom line is that I would upgrade the existing filtration system and include a skimmer.

In my opinion, the existing filtration system with only macro algae will not cut it with that many fish.
This is very sound advice. Though "possible" I think that it would simply be a stretch on your resources to have that many fish without a skimmer....It is "possible" but with more frequent water changes....

How many pounds of rock do you have, and of what type?

Last edited:

Nascar99

I have probably around 100 lbs of lr. 80 of a tukani/totoka mix, and 20 from a lfs and they just had It labeled as premium lol

60lb of live sand

I have some rubble in my sump too which I know some people don't like but I like it

The rest of the fish I plan on adding are dwarf angel, anthias... nothing super dirty like a tang. My tank is gonna be centered around my butterflyfish

Squatch XXL