65G tank

Adam Black

Hello everyone. I just finished setting up my Aga 65G and was wondering how many members here have the same tank?I would like to no what lights your using, pumps,skimmers,fish,corals.If you have pics that would be great too. I'm running 2-250W aquamedic pendents over it. I have a 29g Diy sump. It has 3 chambers(skimmer,return and fuge). I'm using a recirc 110 octo for a skimmer. I have 2 1100 seios on a seio controller. My return pump is a mag7. I plan on keeping a achilles tang and 3 anthias(1 male and 2 female). This tank is going to be nothing but Sps. Right now I'm dosing 2 part alk and calc. B-ionic. Do you think this will be ok once i have more corals? Anyways would love to hear more feed back about my setup and plans as well as your setup and plans.Thanks.

Adam

BarbMazz

Hi, Adam.. Welcome to RS! I have a 65g aga that I'll be setting up shortly.. hopefully in the next couple weeks. I can tell you what equipment I have and what I'm planning, but I don't know if it will help you at all or not!

I have an upstairs/downstairs system with the equipment room in the basement and the dt upstairs in the living room. My sump is a 100g rubbermaid tub, ASM G2 skimmer, 20g refugium, Sunlight Tek 6x39w diy lights with Neptune lunar led sims, Reeflo Barracuda return pump. I have a couple Hydor Koralia 3's for water movement that I'll randomly control with a Neptune Aquacontroller Jr. I'll add other ph's if I need to once I'm setup and see how the flow is. I have some dry rock from Marco Rocks, and my LR will be from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I'm getting The Package from them.

My tank plan is SPS, clams (eventually), just a few fishies (shrimp goby pair and a symbiont shrimp..maybe a few cardinalfish), and (maybe, again) an anemone and a clownfish pair. The clams and anemone/clowns all depend on how my tank is in a years time stability-wise and health-wise.

SPS-wise I like Porites Cylindrica, Stylophora, Monti's and some different types of Acropora's. We'll see what I can find when the tank is ready for some inhabitants in a few months time.

Adam Black

Sounds nice Barb! What's your total Water Volume? I bet 2 koralia's will do enough water movement for you. I want to get a Ac Jr. also. Anyone else?

TangMang232

i have a 65 gallon. So far i have an ASM g-2 skimmer, 3 hydor koralia 2's, a canister thats going bye bye in June and a PC light thats also going bye bye in june.

The two are being replaced with a 4 chamber custom sump by truvu, and the lights that i ordered is a DIY t-5 VHO kit.

Total water volume will be about 100 gallons including sump and fuge.

BarbMazz

Sounds nice Barb! What's your total Water Volume? I bet 2 koralia's will do enough water movement for you. I want to get a Ac Jr. also. Anyone else?

As far as I can tell, my total water volume will be around 110-120g. Won't know for sure until I start to fill 'er up!

Adam Black

i have a 65 gallon. So far i have an ASM g-2 skimmer, 3 hydor koralia 2's, a canister thats going bye bye in June and a PC light thats also going bye bye in june.

The two are being replaced with a 4 chamber custom sump by truvu, and the lights that i ordered is a DIY t-5 VHO kit.

Total water volume will be about 100 gallons including sump and fuge.

Sound good Tang, That T-5 kit will look sweet over a 65g. Just one question, Why do you need a 4 chamber sump? That Asm should be great for this size tank,But if I were you I would go with bigger Koralia's!

Adam Black

Wow Barb that's alot of water for a 65g Display tank! There's nothing wrong with that though. Only problem that I would have would be walking up and down those stairs for maintenance and setting things up to your prefference.

Depending on how much SPS you have will decide if you need a cal reactor or not. Some of the SPS 65g tanks I've seen have looked awesome but with so much SPS that a reactor was a must.

BarbMazz

Wow Barb that's alot of water for a 65g Display tank! There's nothing wrong with that though. Only problem that I would have would be walking up and down those stairs for maintenance and setting things up to your prefference.

I figure the added water volume can only make things easier on the system. I was going to go with the more traditional under-the-stand sump/fuge tank, but my husband thought it sounded like a disaster waiting to happen. So, the basement thing is his idea of minimizing flood risk I guess.

I'm going to look at it as an opportunity to get some exercise. :p I'll have everything I can automated; water changes, ATO, and any supplementation I'll need to do. Everything maintenance-wise will be done in the basement, so I can get a weekly routine going.

I really like that Balling Method that's popular in Europe for chemistry balance, so I may do that when my tank needs Ca/Mg/ etc supplementing. Plus, that ACJr makes things easy, it sounds like. I'll have my lights on there, a feeding schedule pump shut-down, water movement/wave-making... once I get the kinks out of everything it *should be not too bad to maintain.

BarbMazz

Depending on how much SPS you have will decide if you need a cal reactor or not. Some of the SPS 65g tanks I've seen have looked awesome but with so much SPS that a reactor was a must.

Have you read about the Balling Method? It's very popular in Europe. It's a dosing system that hma (Heinz) here on RS uses. I'm thinking of going that route as opposed to a Ca reactor.

TangMang232

i decided to go with multiple smaller sized ones so i can get more cross current action in the tank, while being able to keep the sand and rock clean as well. Works really well, coral love it and im cleaning the sand every 3 days lol.

The lights will be pretty nice, im pretty excited lol.

The reason for the 4 chamber is to have a fuge in one, return pump in one, skimmer in the other, while the water will be coming in form the first. A chamber for each function will reduce the amount of micro bubbles being produced which for me means less in the tank.

TangMang232

when the VHO setup is in ill be able to keep most all corals. Even clams. Right now i have frogspawn, zoanthids, a huge leather thats about 15" probably, brain, plate, sun coral, cauliflower coral, mushrooms, a small anemone thats been growing since i got him lol.