40 Gallon Stocking List, Opinions Needed

Damselino

Gold Band Maroon Clownfish
Six Line Wrasse
Royal Gramma

Is this a good stocking list for my 40 Gallon tank? I want to keep territorial issues at a minimum so hopefully I can keep these fish cause I really like them. Thanks for all ur help guys, u guys make this hobby so much easier.

blue_eyes53813

Seems good... But maroon clowns do get fiesty as they get older,, but ya can always take it out and exchange..Also they will never/ or hardly ever except any other clowns in the same tank... Just wanted you to know... They bully other clowns to death..

kyle1284

also keep in mind the 5 gal=1inch of grown fish rule.... good rule to keep in mind when it comes to worrying about territorial issues

Charlie97L

i think with the sixline and the maroon, you'll never see the gramma. they are very shy if around aggressive fish.

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
I disagree, a Maroon clown can grow to 6 inches by itself, unless you trade it in when it matures you will be overstocked with ANY other fish in the tank. The 5 gal - 1" of fish is the minimum it really shoud be 7 to 1 to be safe. the clown would require 30-35 gal itself and with a 40 when you take away volume by adding substrate and rock you will prob. be around 25-30 true gallons. I would suggest a percula or one of the smaller clows, that would allow for the others....until they start to mature.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Clownfish are not open water swimmers and don't need large tanks to thrive as to stocking rule it really depends on many factors but the rule was originally developed so that in the unfortunate event you would have a power failure your dissolved oxygen levels would quickly be depleted and have a total tank wipeout. Although I don't like to see tanks over-populated and the accompanying problems, IMHO a 7-1 rule is excessive.

aquaman3680

I would say forget the royal gramma and get some type of hawk fish they are very pretty and active fish with that the six line and the maroon clown you would be fine as far as stocking goes. WIll you be running a protein skimmer?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Hawkfish have a great personality and are fun to watch but can make a quick meal of your shrimp. If you do like them then go with the longnose hawkfish.