36" Sump with dual 7" filter socks

DaveK

That's kind of asking a lot. Not too many sumps use 7" filter socks nowadays.

Could you give us some additional information about what your trying to do, and the tank size we are talking about? Does it really need to be 7 inch filter socks?

reefrookie513

That's kind of asking a lot. Not too many sumps use 7" filter socks nowadays.

Could you give us some additional information about what your trying to do, and the tank size we are talking about? Does it really need to be 7 inch filter socks?
180 gallon + sump so about 210. I can barely keep up with my 55 gallon running 2 4 inch socks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DaveK

I have found filter socks clog quickly. I can only get a few days use out of one before it's clogged. What I did was to simply remove the filter socks. This does mean my skimmer picks up a lot more glob and needs more frequent cleaning. I found it worth it.

Most of the particulate matter being picked up was very fine. If I had larger pieces of material, something that could cause a problem for the skimmer, I'd make some DIY filter screens using plastic window screen in the same basic size as the filter socks.

You may want to try removing the filter socks in your existing tank, and see how you make out. If you find that you don't need the filter socks, then your sump problem is solved right there.