28G JBJ Nano Stock Lights & Coral Growth

Ceejai777

Hi everyone, I just replaced the blue moon lights in the hood of my 28g JBJ Nano with the same bulbs because the others were very dim.

I have always wondered if the stock lights in these tanks is adequate enough to keep and grow coral. I have only had one of these tanks set up for a longer length of time but it had upgraded lights in the hood so I've never kept coral for longer period under the stock lights.

I had just gotten my tank up down in California and was stocking it before I decided to move back to WA. It had been set up for about 7 months but I didn't use the hood and light (had a dimmable light that hung above the tank).

I would like to keep the hood, no matter what, so even if I do upgrade, it would need to be something that can be modded in the hood. Is there any SIMPLE upgrades I can do? I know nothing about doing electrical anything. This tank has the 105w quad lighting.

iteach2wheels

I just replaced the stock CFL's with A RapidLED.com retro kit and a Storm controller in my BC8. Such a huge difference I would almost say night and day.

I liked it so much when a NanoCube with the same mod came up for sale I decoded to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Ceejai777

I just replaced the stock CFL's with A RapidLED.com retro kit and a Storm controller in my BC8. Such a huge difference I would almost say night and day.

I liked it so much when a NanoCube with the same mod came up for sale I decoded to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info...how hard was it to install the kit and controller and how much did it cost?

iteach2wheels

Also, as far as future expanding lift goes. I will be using my storm controller and power supply to run my NanoCube when I get it running. It will easily power the LEDs on both tanks at once. Quite a deal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ceejai777

I depends on your skill level. I bought this kit.

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-8-dimmable-retrofit-kit/

But I added the Storm Controller and required drivers.

I also upgraded the power supply.

I had no trouble at all soldering and heat shrinking everything.

Call Rapid and talk to them. They were very helpful and really didn't mind answering all my stupid questions. ;-)

I don't have any skills (Napoleon Dynamite voice). I believe that is the company that will do all the soldering and everything for you, correct? They seem to be the best option out there for people like me (no skills). Thank you very much for the info!

iteach2wheels

Actually buy the solder less kit. As far as soldering the other stuff. It's a very easy skill to learn. The supplies are pretty cheap and it's worth learning

Ceejai777

Actually buy the solder less kit. As far as soldering the other stuff. It's a very easy skill to learn. The supplies are pretty cheap and it's worth learning

I'll do my research but also need to take into consideration that I can't just get up and go get what I need when I need it because my car is out of commission at the moment and I have no idea when or if it will be fixed (transmission issue) so I have been buying everything online, which, I guess I could get soldering stuff online, too. I just feel like a fish out of water as far as that type of stuff goes. Will look into doing it myself, though

iteach2wheels

de1a88763ca725fd2387caf5ff96f4a2.jpg
08a570f3de76ae0e9fc2d1e4c9d999ed.jpg

These are the LEDs in my BC8. Notice the wires and solder on the chips.

156b5526ad482903cfedffea3aed580f.jpg

b96d1e2a229fb152203ea68b811d8406.jpg

This is my Nano Cube. I haven't checked out the internal wiring in the Nano yet.

As far as the supplies goes. You shouldn't need anything more than a small soldering iron, rosin core solder and small heat sharing tubing. All of that should be available on Amazon.

Ceejai777

de1a88763ca725fd2387caf5ff96f4a2.jpg
08a570f3de76ae0e9fc2d1e4c9d999ed.jpg

These are the LEDs in my BC8. Notice the wires and solder on the chips.

156b5526ad482903cfedffea3aed580f.jpg

b96d1e2a229fb152203ea68b811d8406.jpg

This is my Nano Cube. I haven't checked out the internal wiring in the Nano yet.

As far as the supplies goes. You shouldn't need anything more than a small soldering iron, rosin core solder and small heat sharing tubing. All of that should be available on Amazon.

Awesome...thank you so much for taking the time to post these pictures! You should start up a Reef Chronicle if you haven't already

iteach2wheels

That looks like a pretty awesome setup!! I love the dedicated fan and plug and play design.

I went with LED's after my stock lighting crashed. Rapid showed up on a Google search. They had a good rep so I took a shot. (I probably would have been to cheap to buy something like this... ;-) ). However, if you have limited experience and supplies this would be an ideal solution.