8G BioCube (25G Downsized)

Tru2nr

Hey everyone.... So background story on this tank. It originally started as a Mr. Aqua 25G, I then drilled the rear panel and added an external overflow that goes to a 10g 3 baffle sump with a Reef Octopus HOB 100 skimmer a TLF Phosban 150 running a quarter of the recommended amount of Biopellets. I have two digital dosing pumps for when needed and a bubble magnus return pump. For flow I'm running one Tunze 6045(740gph) and may be adding and additional 6025(425gph) once the tanks stocked. I have my return also split off to help with the common flow issues in Cubes. My lighting for now is a 24x3W DIY Bridgelux LED running at 50/50 but just ordered a Reef Radiance Lumentek Pro 120 for the tank. This will be an high end SPS dominated tank.

Now for what you all are waiting for....pictures

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Tru2nr

Sump area

pyru9aza.jpg

Left side view

6ejaheqe.jpg

Right side view

amegyzaj.jpg

Front view

5eje4ehu.jpg

Filled up and lit

usuty3uj.jpg

Tru2nr

So as of yesterday my trItes were sitting at around .5 so hopefully by Friday it'll be at 0 so I'll be able to transfer corals over if not I'm gonna have to risk it being out of town for a week and my holding tank essentially on life support will not make it a week without me lol

Here's a video of the system running so you have a better idea of the overflow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL4GKyCxLRo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tru2nr

Thanks it is hard going from a 180G total system to 35g but that maintenance was a bear when I'm out of town every other week for work.

DaveK

.. so I'll be able to transfer corals over ...

What you want to do here is transfer only 1 or 2 corals over. If you have something really wrong, you only risk a small part of what you have. After they do well for a week or two, then move the rest.

The rest of the tank looks good. I don't think I've ever seen that much equipment on a 25 gal tank. Usually that's not really justified, but I can see that you need the tank to run unattended for long periods of time.

Good luck.

Tru2nr

What you want to do here is transfer only 1 or 2 corals over. If you have something really wrong, you only risk a small part of what you have. After they do well for a week or two, then move the rest.

The rest of the tank looks good. I don't think I've ever seen that much equipment on a 25 gal tank. Usually that's not really justified, but I can see that you need the tank to run unattended for long periods of time.

Good luck.

Yeah the equip is cuz I could be gone anywhere from 5-10 days at a time...I have a 15g ATO container. Also I don't have a choice on the corals and it really is only 1 colony and a handful of frags. I leave Sat. Morning for Hawaii and the tank the corals are in was a frag tank and the filtration/overflow system is shot on it right now(broke a few days ago). I have frags of what I have around town and I have more of a personal attachment to them versus what I actually want in my tank so as horrible as it sounds if they don't survive it won't be as if I'm loosing anything that I can't replace immediately. Its a horrible situation and the trItes are almost gone and my trAtes in the frag tank are near pretty high so I think it'll be a breath of freshwater for them.

Tru2nr

Glad to have you along!

Update we are at 0 trItes and around 20 trAtes...tmr is transfer day! Among many other things

Tru2nr

Transfer done...

FTS

ne5e8uda.jpg

Hawkins Blue

5utuvy6a.jpg

Cali Tort

a2ehu8un.jpg

Birds of Paradise

ume4ybyd.jpg

Unknown Green Table

vehegupe.jpg

Unknown Acro(purple flesh cyan polyps)

e3ene9en.jpg

Acan Lord(maybe ultra won't know until it colors up)

a3ezesu8.jpg

Tru2nr

Ever wonder how nervous you can get when you set up a tank transfer everything and leave for 8 days the very next day? Let me tell you its freaking nerve wrecking. My buddy checked in on Weds and no water on floor n no death smell(he's experienced the smell of rotten coral once) but I hadn't thought too much about it( too distracted by Tahitian dancers and Hawaiian weather) until now when I'm sitting in an airport waiting to go home

Tru2nr

Well everything is just fine...the usual cycle of algae is in full swing. My Cali tort is already coloring back up too

yqeqehut.jpg

y4ypyqa9.jpg

pusereza.jpg

Tru2nr

So I added a Red Planet from MRTY that me and a buddy had split as well as some snails

quty7uhu.jpg

Tru2nr

Ok guys ill post some pics soon....had an algae breakout thats just about gone...im seeing growth n colors on the corals thankfully...oh and ive added a black ice clown from a buddy. This is great because she was the female in her tank begore mine and ill have about a month or two before my next fish which will be a buckshot clown

Sent from a magical tablet

Tru2nr

OK I promised pics so here you go!

myby7yzu.jpg

y2a7e2us.jpg

ahu8ydeb.jpg

zerejupy.jpg

buga5e2y.jpg

neba8ave.jpg

te9upe7a.jpg

Tru2nr

So....,its been a while, was supposed to be moving but now im not....needless to say the tank was in a state of concern...spent all day cleaning up, put a hob on to help grab up some of the gunk. Making water to do a 20% change tomorrow also put in peppermint shrimps to help the aiptasia and 2 turbos for the HA

Before

20141226_105731_zpswkmgarcw.jpg

After

20141226_192528_zpstppgya0p.jpg

Tru2nr

So just did first water change in god knows how long....pulled the filter off the HOB....new one in this is from 1 day of rock blowing and manual algae removal

20141227_202752_zps0qau7fkf.jpg

Tru2nr

So after all that work no headway was being made on the algae on the rocks. I went with the assumption that the rocks were leaching something and yesterday i pulled the rocks n power head replaced the rocks with dry rock plus a cpl small peices to seed and put in a new power head while the old one is in a vinegar soak before it goes back in....when lights come up ill post a pic

Sent from my SM-T310 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
WOW that is quite the transformation. Keep in mind since it was in that state, it may take some time and good husbandry to get everything back in shape. Just keep up with weekly water changes using zero TDS RO/DI water and good things will start happening.

Tru2nr

WOW that is quite the transformation. Keep in mind since it was in that state, it may take some time and good husbandry to get everything back in shape. Just keep up with weekly water changes using zero TDS RO/DI water and good things will start happening.

Thanks, i had to change out rocks cuz i think that was the issue when i had my 120 everything was fine, i added a 40g inline n added these rocks i picked up on craigslist. I rinsed n soaked in rodi but never acid bathed them. The minute those rocks were added the hair algae became crazy only on those rocks until it spead...i used the same rocks when i started this cube forgetting the issues i had

Sent from my SM-T310 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2