250 Max Planning

Hello all. I'm an Australian recently converted aquarist. I currently have an 80 Litre (20 Gallon) Orca tank and will be upgrading to the 250 Max once I have the money to do so. I would like to seriously take my time to make the tank perfect before adding any corals, anemones and fish. To do this i'm wondering a few things if anyone can help me.

What are good methods of aquascaping to avoid deadspots without compromising its appearance? I'm keen to do something original and highly functional.

How should I transfer my current smaller tank to this much larger tank? (My current tank is about 7 months old with a Chromis and an Occelaris with maybe 10 kilograms of liverock. Are there any techniques of speeding up the tank stablisation via using old tanks filter media/water and what not?)

My third and final question. I've followed many threads on this tank and have noticed that many people sport extra pumps, have modded the protein skimmer, have a chiller and generally have required extra equipment to make tank work better. So as i've said earlier i'm keen to take my time and make the tank as close to perfect as possible, so what extras do you think are truly needed to do this? Keep in mind my budget is not large.

Thank you!

ma77301985

Welcome to RS SydneyReefer!

The RSM250 will be your best purchase ever I guarantee it.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and I am sure they will point you in the right direction.

My tank has never been modded other than an extra fan on the top right corner facing left. I noticed buildup of matter on the right side generally.

Have fun!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hello all. I'm an Australian recently converted aquarist. I currently have an 80 Litre (20 Gallon) Orca tank and will be upgrading to the 250 Max once I have the money to do so. I would like to seriously take my time to make the tank perfect before adding any corals, anemones and fish. To do this i'm wondering a few things if anyone can help me.

What are good methods of aquascaping to avoid deadspots without compromising its appearance? I'm keen to do something original and highly functional. It is a sort of art form, so take your time. Avoid having any rock up against the back wall and keeps the sides open as well so that you can get a algae magnet to the sides. Stack your rock loosely and try to have swim throughs and caves, this will allow not only swimming areas for the fish but it will allow water flow. Patience and practice will help!

How should I transfer my current smaller tank to this much larger tank? (My current tank is about 7 months old with a Chromis and an Occelaris with maybe 10 kilograms of liverock. Are there any techniques of speeding up the tank stablisation via using old tanks filter media/water and what not?) Putting in some live rock from your old tank will certainly help speed the cycle, you can also add about a cup of sand from your old tank as well. Cycling is not something you want to rush, being that you have everything setup in your old tank this is especially true. Get the rock in (using some of your live rock), sand in (with a cup of sand from your old tank) and water in, add a raw deli shrimp and start testing.

My third and final question. I've followed many threads on this tank and have noticed that many people sport extra pumps, have modded the protein skimmer, have a chiller and generally have required extra equipment to make tank work better. So as i've said earlier i'm keen to take my time and make the tank as close to perfect as possible, so what extras do you think are truly needed to do this? Keep in mind my budget is not large. Many folks here run their RSM 250 completely stock so many mods are not necessary. Many run and chiller and some do not, this will really depend on the ambient temperature in your house. Best to wait and see what the temps are before buying a chiller. The protein skimmer works just fine and does not need to be replaced. As for extra power heads, again many run one or two MP-10s but they are not a necessity.

Thank you!

Thanks a lot mate. That really helps. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback! I look forward to posting my progress once I have the tank up and running.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

+1 Greg advise ^

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi SydneyReefer! :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Of course, I L:heart:VE your choice of tank ;) and You are in the perfect forum to get all the :help: and advice you'll need to get it going with grand SW style :D
So glad you joined us...We will be excited with you as your start your RSM 250 Dream come true!
Very BEST WISHES from the heartland of the USA :biker

I've decided to pre-order a 250 RED SEA MAX C series before it arrives in Sydney. I'll keep you all updated. Hopefully some of the reported problems such as the protein skimmer are solved.

Irene

Hi Sydney :hallo: and welcome to UR,

I have the new RSM 250C got it in January, you're going to love it and I think Red Sea have solved any problems the old one had.

Irene

Unfortunately Red Sea Max 250C is due to arrive in August. I don't see that much of a difference than the corners, skimmer and powerboard extra sockets for accessories. So perhaps i'll just stick to the 250 which will be fine! :) Two weeks and it arrives in the warehouse!