20g nano. coral only. Advice and pointers needed. Planning stages.

Squatch XXL

If you never read anything I wrote, strap in. I am all over the place tonight.

going to be downgrading to most likely a 20g...possibly a 29. This is a "travel companion" type of tank. Depending on success, I may just stick with small specialized systems. Its possible it will be set-up for 6 months to a year.

I am looking at doing nothing but hard easy corals. Weekly water changes 50-75% or more. LOTS of water motion.....by "Lots" I am going to try an mp40 or 2 on low mode/else mode....possibly a pair. I estimate at lowest setting the do 1200gpm.....so alternating 1200gpm. rockwork will be limited to a pair of small piles....Possibly just stacked in the 2 corners.

This is going in front of a window and will get lots of indirect sunlight. Plants grow good in the window. I can always black the back out if I don't like the effect. I know I have adequate lights to supplement. Either a quad 24" or 36" will do for the intended victims. Probally will stick to actinic + blue supplemental lights. I have had ciclid tanks in front of this window and not had terrible issues with algae.

I have never done "bare-bottom" and frankly I don't like the look. I understand the idea that I don't want my substrate to be fluidized and so detritus gets filtered out...but can I use rubble that won't float around to the same effect? I have hundreds of diy frag plugs that won't move in water, and could cover the bottom nicely. What about covering the bottom in travertine tile if NO on the rubble? Will use a mechanical HOB filter to catch large particles.

What fish would work in a high flow 20g with no substrate? Is that even fair to the fish? My coral collection is dwindling as I have started giving away stuff for people to hold on to for when I get a larger setup again. I plan on keeping my poccilipora only in this nano. It would be neat to have a specific tank, and I think it would appreciate the sunlight with intense actinic. They certainly love blended meaty foods, and it shows.

It is also no big issue for me to add an overflow box. Drilling glass and crafting stuff like this is simple. However it complicates it a bit because now I need a return pump, with more noise and more gpm. Sump etc...It is stuff I have, and am not abject to use...just trying to avoid.

Expert nano opinions wanted:

Sump or none. What are your thoughts after doing it one way or another.
Barebottom/high flow. Fish or not? Feeding of coral for health? What do you use?
Mechanical filter HOB? Waste of time with large water changes?

Id like to try something new while I still have cured and cultured rock and substrate.

DaveK

What your planning seems OK, but here are a few things to consider.

What corals do you plan to keep that are going to need that kind of flow? Also, having that massive flow will eliminate some corals that don't like that much flow. The poccilipora coral only requires a moderate flow.

I don't see an issue with the HOB filter. Since this is a SW tank I'd recommend one much larger that what you'd typically use on a 20 or 29 gal tank. Choose one that uses a sponge for filtration. Be sure the carbon filtration is optional and don't bother using it. The quality of carbon used in HOB filter cartridges is often of very low quality and can throw off stuff you don't want in a reef. I would also avoid the biowheel HOB filters. That doesn't do much in SW and often stops working.

I'm not sure about using rubble for the substrata. It would tend to become a dirt trap, but this is also a small tank, so cleaning it wouldn't be too bad. I'd be inclined to use a fine aragonite sand, just enough to cover the bottom. You would only need to put the sand or rubble where the bottom shows.

If at all possible a few small fish would be a nice addition. If nothing else, the keep non-reef keepers from asking "stupid" questions about why you have a "fish tank" with no fish in it.

Squatch XXL

If at all possible a few small fish would be a nice addition. If nothing else, the keep non-reef keepers from asking "stupid" questions about why you have a "fish tank" with no fish in it.
No lie, about a year ago The reef club meeting happened at my house. I felt that "Where are all your fish" was a programmed question. I literally only have fish now because I feel guilty from that day. They have grown on me. I love the tang, and am very sad about loosing it. It grazes all day. Always Fat. Perfect pet.

I may be down-grading my hobby for a long time. The family was not as into it as I thought and for now I have a bit on my plate. I have a strong desire to keep the cultures alive that I have, only because I know they are pest free and hearty.

As for water flow, I certainly trust you. These pocci have survived no flow all the way up to the massive flow it gets now. I have various other powerheads that are just as good, just not as expensive. Id hate to see the mp40 go to waste, but I don't dare sell them at a loss either as they are nearly new. I still have this nifty "wavemaker" controller that will run 1-2 power heads. I may just hook that up instead of the mp40s. I am afraid that if I reduce the flow, I might as well get another mantis......See how expensive this is getting lol....A small one would be a nice touch.

Ahhhh, first world problems.

The thing I like about fish tanks is that there is no correct answer....only suggestions....Obviously no ammonia but after the cycle your tank grows on its own. They are similar, but certainly vary.

Thanks again for everything @DaveK

DaveK

No lie, about a year ago The reef club meeting happened at my house. I felt that "Where are all your fish" was a programmed question. ...[

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. What makes this especially bad in your case is that the reef club members should have been a bit more knowledgeable about this sort of thing.

In the same vein, except for reef keepers, few are going to notice that extremely expensive fish over a lower price fish. I noticed that quite a few years ago, so nowadays I only get somewhat moderately priced fish. I also tend to get small size ones, because they will grow, and smaller ones adapt to tank life better.

Squatch XXL

In the same vein, except for reef keepers, few are going to notice that extremely expensive fish over a lower price fish.
This is the real fact. I will never buy a fish again UNLESS there is a work-related need. Wrasses are good, some tangs...etc. I won't spend more than a few bucks on a generic dither fish, and seeing how I have a 33% chance of survival it keeps it cheap.