2 120w Maxspect Razors on Red Sea Max250 questions

Wmacintosh

So I have a Red sea max 250 and two 120w maxspect razors that I plan on suspending from the ceiling since ive removed the top of my aquarium. My question is will I get better light distribution with the lights side by side right to left or should i have them both facing top to bottom on each side? The tank is 38" long X 21" wide. I have both 120 and 90 degree optics but would like to know suggestions before drilling into my ceiling. Thanks!

Attachments

• Left to Right.png
    Left to Right.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Top to Bottom.png
    Top to Bottom.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 13

Uncle99

I’m side to side.
I use a hanging kit which allows each light to be easily moved upwards/downwards.

I’m up 14” off the water, this, in my case gave the best coverage.

I used a par meter to find the optimal height.
75E1A772-C00B-4458-8DAC-4031D0D9344C.jpeg

Not sure if that helps any

Wmacintosh

I’m side to side.
I use a hanging kit which allows each light to be easily moved upwards/downwards.

I’m up 14” off the water, this, in my case gave the best coverage.

I used a par meter to find the optimal height.
View attachment 49270

Not sure if that helps any
My problem is if they are flush side by side then the lights are really off centre and they still hang over a bit causing more light to be outed the edges than inside the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle99

Ok, I hear ya.
I agree, you don't want to light the outside of the tank.

It seems these lights are 20.5", so 2 is 41" ans your tank is only 38".

You will have turn them, if you google it, someone has already done this except with 4

Last edited:

Wmacintosh

well I have it end to end at first and definitely wasn't getting the distribution I wanted and it just didn't look good. Rehung them with the displays of the lights facing forward and split the tank in half (visually)and then centered the lights in both of those halves so there is space in the center. The light distrubution is 10x better and I'm def happy with them now!!