12g AquaNano Tank

Trio91

it will pass....we all have gone through the waiting stage. Each tank is different, i know that my old bowfront tank took about 4 months to cycle (but that's another story)....so i wouldn't go nuts over it. having patience is the worst part of this hobby.

Lochinvar

Week 8 of cycling, photos will tell the story

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I guess i just have to wait for nitrites to drop. Any way how to speed it up? Should have the lights off now to help settle the algae bloom or it doesn't matter? Thanks for any comments.

Lochinvar

End of week 9 of cycling

Gee its been a while, so here is another test.

Ammonia still 0, nitrites top of the scale still 5ppm, nitrates are 40ppm today.

Tank is green, algae taking over.

Return pump, circ pump , heater and skimmer running, lights of and tank is covered to for extra darkness.

No living soul in the tank, so no feeding, no wc.

Even after 9 weeks nitrites does not want to DROP :-(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 3

Lochinvar

Hi Reefers, here is an update on my Nano tank

4 month since setup, everything looks good. There were some mortalities during journey, 2 hermits and yellow goby (lasted 8 hours) did not make it. However there is very happy Percula Clown, Six Line Wrasse, coral banded shrimp, blue amd green legged hermit crabs, turbo and astrea snails. There is one and only coral so far, toadstool mushroom. All parameters are in check.
There were bloom of hair algae, and i have seen one aiptasia which was taken care of. There is also one visible feather duster. Photos attached and comments and suggestions welcome.IMG_0377.JPGIMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPGIMG_0380.JPG IMG_0382.JPGIMG_0383.JPG

yungreefer2410

Tank looks quite nice! Great job being patient and letting nature run its course. I would say you are maxed out fish wise, but have plenty of room for corals! Do you have any snails in there? I would recommend adding some if not. Reefcleaners.org probably doesn't ship to NZ but it can give you a good idea of what creatures make up clean up crews (CUC). Personally, I am a no hermit all snail kind of guy. I do like crabs, such as Pom Pom and sps crabs, but none of those mean hermits get to go in my tanks.

Lochinvar

Hi, i have 5 Astrea and 1 turbo snail. I do not think you can buy crabs in NZ , only hermit crabs. I have 2 there and they seems to ignore each other. I think too that 4 fish is max for this aquarium. I would like also a mandarin fish at later stage or a little anemone.
I am getting some more corals today so hopefully it will start look more colourful. The coraline algae is browing nicely on back wall but hardly any on the coral rocks. This is a test little tank for me to learn the basics, in 2-3 years i might upgrade to 350-500l so i can have tangs and some other fish, and this will become my quarantine or frag tank.