1 Hydra 52s vs 2 Hydra 26s

Seagull_F

Hi to all,

Options
just setting up a new Tank, got a Red Sea Reefer 250 (90 x50 x53) and debating on the lighting. Light of choice is AI Hydra and I reached the point of debating between the lower cost and less crowded set-up with just 1 Hydra 52HD compared to two(2) Hydra 26HDs with double the Power Supplies, double the mounting Arms (will only use mounting Arm not hangin kit). I know, I know I have read all threads and Suppliers suggestions regarding that spacing out 2 Hydra 26 HD gives you better coverage than 1 Hydra 52 HD.

Coverage Loophole
However, analysing carefully the official Data I found inconsistencies. Can someone explain me howcome by having 4 identical led clusters ( identical in a way by having two hydra 26s HD next two each other without the extra spacing which is essentially the 52 HD, results only to 25% spread increase in the length? I could understand that there is an overlap between the middle clusters and their angle of 80 degrees but dropping any spread increase to just 25% sounds more than a marketing trick. Having paid premium in a numerous number of gadgets, computers, smartphones etc. etc., realized as many of you probably, that paying premium for top of the line feature never paid off.....So, despite my confidence in the aforementioned analysis, still have the doubt....would 1 Hydra 52HD be adequate for that Tank size or will it be heavily inferior in lighting support? I know that by having 2 Hydras 26HD would be completely covered but this is what a Red Sea Reefer 425 would be as well (120cm length)(see below). So, I am trying to avoid overpaying for light coverage I don't need ....

Supporting facts, Red Sea suggests:
a) 1 Hydra 26HD for Reefer 170 (60cm x 50 x 53) (below the official 26HD spread)
b) 2 Hydra 26HD for Reefer 425 (120 cm x 57,5 x 55)

Any thought from experienced folks highly appreciated.