█▀▀▀▀ The Final Reef ▀▀▀▀█ Tn's S650 Adventure.

Choff

Are you running reef spec bulbs? How old are they?

Sounds like a ballast issue though.

...stupid auto correct

Joeys Tank

Hmmm

It could be a ballast. The typical lifespan of a ballast is 50,000 hrs of operation but like all electrical devices you may be seeing an infant mortality on the component (i.e. some electrical parts just burn out very early). I believe you have had this tank up and running for 4 months. Not sure if you purchased the tank new or used. But, if new and you run your lights for about 12 hours a day, you most likely have only 1,500 hrs tops on the ballast. It may be the bulbs running out as well, but typically you see it affect one bulb and not the whole set in the front fixture.

Not sure how you have the power hooked up for your light fixtures (direct to the wall or through a controller). Some controllers limit the amperage draw (Apex has 15 amps on its powerbus). It may be possible you are close to the 15amp limit and are therefore being somewhat restricted in your power draw.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the RSM 650 light system since I disassembled it fore LEDs.

salty23

It's definitely the ballast. I switched the bulbs around and they work fine.

I purchased the tank new and it's been running 5 months max. At least the lights. The middle and rear lights are fine however the front unit keeps dimming on its on. I'll have to contact red sea to see if they will do something about it......

Otherwise leds here I come? :O

Joeys Tank

Given the tank is only 5 months old, I am confident Red Sea will send a replacement ballast. Replacing one is fairly straightforward, the hardest part is pulling all of the screws for the reflector shield and if they used any heat sink adhesive for the bottom of the ballast or not. Keep in mind that while switching the bulbs around eliminates the bulb quality from the equation, your front and rear hoods are on two different power cords. Very unlikely there is an issue with them, but a nice look over may turn up something before you go down the ballast route.

salty23

Got the light fixed. Something was wrong with the ballast. Apparently it's a common issue with alot of these lights?

Hopefully nothing happens to my other 2 panels.

Here's an updated fts for September. Seems like I'm getting some good growth now that things have stabilized.

Enjoy.
2813f5171ab2fc87b9d6ab44ebec2357.jpg

salty23

Very glad to hear it was a ballast issue and not something with amp draw.

Tank looks awesome!
Thx Joey. I have it all hooked up to the Apex so it's relatively easy to monitor my amp draw.

By the way my orp finally stabilized sits around 431 permanently.

Choff

Ever since I switched to the ceremeco rock my ORP has been significantly lower. I now sit in the low 300s where I was in the 430s like you guys. Not sure what to make of it, but the ceramic structures have less oxidizing power than real rock.

...stupid auto correct

salty23

Ever since I switched to the ceremeco rock my ORP has been significantly lower. I now sit in the low 300s where I was in the 430s like you guys. Not sure what to make of it, but the ceramic structures have less oxidizing power than real rock.

...stupid auto correct
Choff does that mean in the future we should avoid using ceramic? Do you notice any other changes? I really love the structure you have going thought. :eek:

Choff

Re: The Final Reef Tn's S650 Adventure.

I don't know what it means and apparently neither does Randy Farley. I posted on his chemistry forum on another site and he says he wasn't sure the 2 were related and if they were had no idea why. To many unknown variables.

...stupid auto correct

salty23

Thanks guys.

It's a giant mirror :eek:.
Works really well when adding new fish. Takes the aggression off them while they get use to their new home.