Search results

1. Varga

One year aniversary

2. Varga

OK reefers, check this out

WOW
  3. Varga

HELP! Algae problem, corals may be dying.

If water changes are fueling the bloom then u may want to look into dinoflagellates
  4. Varga

ISO used LED

You may want to visit the LED box group on face book. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=603511806434292&tsid=0.33925012359395623&source=typeahead
  5. Varga

Tank cycled in 2 weeks?

Assuming don't have fish/corals, one way to test it is to dose pure ammonia; up to 3 ppm. You tank should be able to bring it down to zero within 24 hours.
  6. Varga

Usually a tank has not completed they cycle until nitrites are zero. Are you sure of those numbers?
  7. Varga

Sorry for your troubles...hopefully temporary..... Nitrites must be zero. How long has your tank been set up?
  8. Varga

Zebra Hermit outside the tank!

Found a dry hermit shell under my dining table, about 15 feet from the tank, then he poked his claw out. Throw him back in and he just went his merry way. Never happened before
  9. Varga

Zebra Hermit outside the tank!

Found a dry hermit shell under my dining table, about 15 feet from the tank, then he poked his claw out. Throw him back in and he just went his merry way. Never happened before
  10. Varga

HELP! Algae ID please

This annoying algae is difficult blow off, comes back within 48 hours or so. Only on SPS; mostly on birdsnest....so far.... Under microscope:
  11. Varga

Microscopic creatures in the reef tank

It has been eye opening. A single drop with a speck of detritus has about 30-40 little guys running around. I have stopped using filter socks. It was catching thousands of these creatures every day.
  12. Varga

Mercedes log in a drop of tank water. Anyone know what this is? There is 1-2 of them in every drop of detritus I've looked at.
  13. Varga

A drop of Phytoplankton under microscope
  14. Varga

Mistakes to learn from

You could experiment by removing some rock, and placing the rest in the center of the tank; allowing your tang to circle the pile
  15. Varga

Cycling w/ Dry Rock Question

It worked for me. I did not try their cycle product, just the test to see if the initial cycle is completed. Added pure ammonia up to 4ppm, tested in 24 hours; ammonia and nitrites were both zero. Did that two times before I was convinced tank was ready for the first fish.
  16. Varga

sump or no sump??

In my opinion sump is a must. There are befinitial tiny creatures in your reef that otherwise fall victim to your fish.
  17. Varga

Cycling w/ Dry Rock Question

You can always test your water by bringing ammonia up to 3ppm (using pure ammonia from ACE), and see if your tank can bring it down to zero in 24 hours. Dr. Tim explains this pretty well The Process: Day 1 – dose ammonia to 3 ppm ammonia-nitrogen [NH3-N] max. Day 2 – do nothing. Days 3...