Search results

1. ReefSparky

Multiple Tangs In A Reef Tank

I'm picking my prospective lineup for new fishes. I have a 90G tank. Yesterday I purchased a new pair of banggai cardinals and a kole (yellow eye) tang. The banggais replace the two killed by my percula who got uncharacteristically violent in a 2 day period. Currently the percula is in a...
  2. ReefSparky

Chubster The New Mandarin--Dead.

Well, I have no clue what the problem was. As some of you have read; Chubster was a brand new spotted mandarin addition. He was purchased on Feb. 15. He was eating great at the store, and in my tank too. Within 15 seconds of adding him to the tank, he was wolfing down 'pods. The...
  3. ReefSparky

Chubster The New Mandarin

Here's my new mandarin. I've waited months after creation of a 'fuge, and now since I can see a preponderance of pods, I thought the time was right. I went to my LFS and looked over the 3 they had, (not including the cigar-sized fat boys in the coral tank which aren't for sale). I observed...
  4. ReefSparky

Pictures of 'Pods

OK--the last time I created a post "Never thought I'd get a pic of a 'pod" the nice educated folks here let me know that they weren't pods, but hydroids. Now I have some pods, and I'd like to show them off. I told them if they reproduced copiously I'd take them out to dinner. Well...
  5. ReefSparky

Just Goes To Show Ya. Testing For Calcium.

I've been testing for Ca since I decided to go reef Nov 1st. I could never get Ca into the 400s, and I decided to buy a 2-part solution. After adding it as the instructions say, Ca elevation was negligible. I was convinced it would be weeks before I saw an accumulation of Ca sufficient to show a...
  6. ReefSparky

Made the leap--own two corals now

Well, all. After much preparation, I purchased two hardy corals. Here they are, a green polyp (what I think is a zoanthus) and a rock with a few purple/blue mushrooms. I'm happy to report that they both look fuller and happier/healthier in my tank after 24 hours than they did in the...
  7. ReefSparky

Kent Marine Tech CB 2 Part Calcium Buffer

I've gone with Kent's Tech CB. It says on the label "Now Stronger 56,000 ppm on part A, and Now Stronger 7840 dKH on part B. The instructions state to use no more than 1/2 ml per gallon per 12 hours. As instructed I dose just that, when I leave for work at 6 am, and before dinner at 6pm...
  8. ReefSparky

Never thought I could get a pic of a 'pod

But I did. I held my loupe/magnifying glass (10x) to the glass, focused on what I wanted to get; put my camera on optical zoom and clicked macro as "close" as I could get, and to my amazement, I could make out the subjects! Here they are. The first two remind me of snowflakes. The last...
  9. ReefSparky

RO/DI setup for reef and drinking

I currently have a below-sink 2 stage water filtration system with its own mini faucet for drinking water. I'm about to purchase an RO/DI system for my tank, which will replace the 2 stage filter. I plan on using the 1/4" tubing that's feeding my current filter system, for my RO/DI. I'd...
  10. ReefSparky

Layer of Film, Scum

I've had this layer of scum before. Last time the duration was about 6 days. It went away on its own. This time it's been over 10 days, and shows no signs of abatement. From what I've read, it's not uncommon, but it's unsightly. My protein skimmer is working as it usually does, with the...
  11. ReefSparky

RIP, my clownfish.

My tomato clow's life ended miserably. As some of you might know, I'm about to go reef. I'm getting my lights (Aquactinics TX5) next week. I've had my tomato for about 5 years. He was about 4 inches long. The only life he ever attacked was mine. He got along fine with my 2 recently added...
  12. ReefSparky

vortech wireless wavemaker and questioning my priorities

In preparation for going reef I have ditched the bioballs for more LR, pitched the CC substrate for carbonate-based sand; I've built a decent 'fuge with chaeto using a 10g tank, and upgraded my protein skimmer. For the first time in a true 20 years, I seem to have algae growth under control...
  13. ReefSparky

Board Usage Tips, Please

I would think there's an easier way to accomplish this but. . . When I sign on, I usually want to see (in this order): 1. responses to posts I've created, and 2. the responses of others in threads in which I've participated. That's about all of us, right? LOL Well, what I do is hit...
  14. ReefSparky

Are Copepods Visible?

When I purchased chaeto for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it was green and bright, looking almost like green plastic monofilament fishing line. It's in my newly made refugium, under a spiral compact flourescent daylight bulb. The light is lit overnight when the main tank's light is...
  15. ReefSparky

RO/DI question

I'm about to purchase an RO/DI system, and plan on using it exclusively for my tank, and perhaps the pre-DI, RO water for drinking. I will not use 100 gal/day. From my reading, it seems that a 50 or 75gpd RO membrane will yield higher quality water with a lower TDS. Here's where...
  16. ReefSparky

I think I've decided on my lighting.

Well, all. I think it's going to be the Aquactinics TX5 with 5 bulbs for right now. This should fare well for a 21" high 55 gal tank. I can't fit 6 bulbs, so it's going to be 5. I think it's going to be 3 bulbs @11K or 12K, and 2 actinic. Unless it would be wiser to go with 3 actinic and 2...
  17. ReefSparky

Geissman or Aquactinics

For my relatively shallow 55 gal tank, I decided to go with a T5 setup. I discovered in my reading that individual reflectors are a must--which leaves out the less expensive names like Current's Nova Extreme and a few others which can be had for arount $200-$300 hundred bucks. I was about...
  18. ReefSparky

Creation of the fuge pic thread

I'm creating a fuge so I can grow some chaeto under full light 24/7. I've got limited space under my 55 gal tank, so I'm making this fuge out of a 10 gal tank. (Don't flame me, I've given this thought, and forgive me this small experiment before I go to a 120 gal tank; then my 55 will be the...
  19. ReefSparky

Kent PhosReactor filter mod

I don't know about anyone else, but these darn filter disks never stay where they're supposed to in my reactor. I suppose it takes a reef tank to make a man sew!! It works great now. Cleaning the disks is easy, too. When it's time to change media, I just hold the assembly under cool...