Search results

1. jthomps123

keeping a school of green chromis?

Still going strong?
  2. jthomps123

Icecap, Eheim, UV, Books + more for sale!

Icecap 250W Halide Ballast / New - $110 shipped/paypaled Icecap 250W Halide Ballast / Used (about 2 years) - $85 shipped/paypaled Icecap 660 Ballast w/ 4 Icecap Endcaps/Standoffs, wiring harness / Used - $100 shipped/paypaled Eheim 1262 Pump - Used (about 6 mos) / Took a little spill and...
  3. jthomps123

Vortech Mp20 & Mp40 Groupbuy!

Just received my MP40w. Quick and easy transaction! Cant wait to get it home and plugged in! This is fully legit and a great deal! Thanks BIGKAHANA Jason
  4. jthomps123

How many fish can go into a 75 gallon

The whole inches-per-gallon rule doesnt really hold - because some fish (as stated above) like tangs throw those averages out the window. The tangs inches has more to do with swimming room. It also has alot to do with how well you take care of your tank, and how good your waste export is. In...
  5. jthomps123

Xenia

Hmm I had a thriving colony that took a quick 24 hr dive - I subsequently removed it. What Daddio stated could of been what happened to mine, days later I learned my tank had a substantial ALK drop/deficiency.
  6. jthomps123

Smoke and the tank?!?

The nicest reef aquarium i'd ever witnessed in person had 'stuff' in its direct vicinity daily. Cigarettes who knows... Winstons probably ok, Marlboro lights probably just a little less ok. The apparent trend that noone has been able to correlate tobacco smoke with decline in aquarium conditions...
  7. jthomps123

Flatworm - Acoel Planaria

Update on my red/rust flatworms. They still continue to accumulate in my sump in epic proporations, but have been invisible in the display tank. I attribute this to my green mandarin, who is extremely fat.
  8. jthomps123

Looking for overflow suggestions

Thanks for the replys. I have 2x 1" bulkheads I can use for this project. Would 2 - 1" stand pipes have a different flow rate than 2 1" drains in an overflow box? Do you guys think a 2 x 1" overflow drain can handle enough drain for a return pump that will provide all the flow for a 30 gal tank...
  9. jthomps123

Looking for overflow suggestions

I have a 30 gal acrylic im about to reef-out. I'd like to solicit some overflow suggestions. I plan on installing two bulkheads on either side of the tank. Would anyone have any objections to a single standpipe drain L into the bulkhead rather than a full blown overflow? Would I really miss the...
  10. jthomps123

Chubster The New Mandarin

Nice fish, how large is he! Mandarins seem to be pretty hardy provided a good food source. Mine started eating withing seconds also. Good luck!
  11. jthomps123

Would a fresh water dip kill them on any frags sent out of the tank? Jason
  12. jthomps123

Cleaning 55 gallon drums?

I've just acquired 2 - 55gal drums from a car wash. Car wash/wax used to be in them. There are even 'corrosive' labels on them. My questions is how/if i even can clean these for use as an ro/di resevior If not for an ro/di resevoir, how about a resevior to feed the ro filter? Thanks for any...
  13. jthomps123

Cant get calcium up.

Sorry, I meant Reef Complete...
  14. jthomps123

Cant get calcium up.

My calcium has been stuck at around 340 for quite a while now. I just started adding supplements in the last few months to try and get it up. For the past few weeks i've been adding Seachem Reef Builder every couple of days and using Buffer 8.3 periodically to keep my alk around 8. But I still...
  15. jthomps123

I've had red flatworms in my refugium for a couple months now. Just id'ed them. Funny thing is i've never seen on in my display. I've had a mandarin, clown and lmb in there for a while. Either they dont like the flow in the display or the green mandarin is eating any that make their way to the...
  16. jthomps123

my not-sogreen star poylps

I have some star polyps just like that. Just a tinge of green on the tips that shows under actinics. I always thought they were called silver or pink polyps. They are a bit longer/larger than my green polyps, and seem bit hardier. How long have you had them? They will probably all show the...
  17. jthomps123

Gurgle, gurgle's gotta stop

I made a durso/(or maybe the other one) standpipe out of a few bucks worth of PVC for my overflow box. It made a huge differrence. Toilet flushing noise is completely gone. Jason
  18. jthomps123

Lemon Peel Angel

Sorry to hear that, hope they gave you a full refund also.
  19. jthomps123

Reef Octopus EXT 150 - any experience?

Im looking to upgrade my skimmer for a 75 gal. I need a HOB or external skimmer as my sump will not accomodate most in sump skimmers. The skimmer must also be no taller than 25" or so. Im looking at a Reef Octopus EXT 150 Recirc model: Reef Octopus EXT 150Recirculating Needle Wheel Protein...
  20. jthomps123

Dragonet

Nice pics, My green mandarin has also fattened up alot in the two months i've had him. Seems I have a good pod population. Whenever I trim my halimeda in the sump I shake it out up top before throwing it away and he feasts on large ones for a couple days. I know im not in the clear, but I'll...