Search results

1. T

Do I want an SW aquarium?

You could do like we did and go with a 40g hex to start with and about the same size as a 20g just taller plus a hex tank is cool looking. We started out slow than moved up to a 120 still have all the stuff we started with in the basement. Hope this help you out some. Tim
  2. T

Do I want an SW aquarium?

:welcomera I agree go for the reef tank I think you'll like it more, me and the wife did. Tim
  3. T

HELP! Eel attacking Eel

IMO you need to remove one of them sooner or later the big one will kill the little one.
  4. T

Need some help identifying this

It's a sponge I have them in my tank too. I think their cool.
  5. T

mp40 vortech pump

I love them wouldn't trade them for anything. I have 2 MP40WES's in my 120 these replaced 5 PH's beat_dead_horse and the flow is GREAT. They are not 100% silent but even at full speed they are not that loud. Tim
  6. T

Octopus DNW 110 or ASM G-2?

I would NOT recommend the ASM to anyone just from my experience for 1.5-2 years it was a constance headache. The octopus I think would be a much better skimmer than the ASM. Is there no way to get the SWC to work in your sump maybe remove a baffle or something or a different sump? if you haven't...
  7. T

I set my tank up in June 07' it is 120 gallon with a 40B as sump/ref TWV about 140 gallons w/heavy bio load 20 plus fish. I bought the G-2 as it was recommended as a good cheap skimmer on most of the forums I read both good and bad. I had it running for about 6 months very little skim mate if I...
  8. T

I would go with the DNW 110 the ASM G-2 I had never really work very good. They use cheap material build is ok. Some people love them I had one and didn't.
  9. T

Vortech

I have the same size tank 4'x2'x2' with 2 MP40W ES 1 on each end in NTM and this seems to be working just fine so far tank looks happy.
  10. T

new skimmer

Thank you all for your input i am still on the fence about what to do. I did read on another forum, RC i think that a NW skimmers output will drop if the neck gets dirty, something about oily build up i think. I'll clean the skimmer really good inside, instead of just wiping down the neck see if...
  11. T

new skimmer

I am thinking of buying a lifereef skimmer SVS3-24 or VS3-30 to put in my sump. Does anyone know about these skimmers or lifereef products at all? Everything i've read puts them up there with the best on the market.
  12. T

starfish melting

It looks like things are better no more deaths things seem to be fine. Stuff that looked dead is now moving feather dusters i mean. Looks like the starfish and snails are that died.
  13. T

starfish melting

OK did a WC about 35 gallons put 2 socks of carbon in today. Hopefully this will help bring the tank back. Will do about 50 gallons this weekend if things don't look better.
  14. T

starfish melting

no air fresheners or bug bomb in the house. I did put a few pieces of coral a friend got off the beach in Mexico about 2 weeks ago:bugout: . The coral didn't smell bad and there was no oily feel to it I have already pulled it out. Men i hope this doesn't kill the tank the fish and shrimp all...
  15. T

starfish melting

Your right 1.022 -1.024. But could i have something else going on today most of the feather duster are dead or dieing and most of the snails are dead. These starfish and the cleaning crew have been in this tank for 8 mos or more why would they die now? What else could cause a die off like this...
  16. T

starfish melting

All 3 starfish have died. salinity is 1.0022 - 1.0024 with Refractometer. I have to add about 1 to 1.5 gals every day when i get home from work. I pour it in the ref maybe too much too fast . Been doing it this way since i set the tank up back in June of 07. Starfish were put in around Oct of...
  17. DSCN0012

DSCN0012

18. T

starfish melting

Got home today and 2 of my bristles are melting. The top of the center disk is gone the 3rd is fine so far. PH-8.2, Ammonia-0, Nitrate-0, Nitrite-0. What could have done this???[http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/14151/size/big]. Is something maybe attacking them???If you...
  19. DSCN0008

DSCN0008

20. T

Zebra striped worm with teeth!

Looks like the peanut worms i have in my tank. I am told they are harmless