Search results

1. Smoker

Help! I can't grow any algae or corals

SeaChem for the ammonia test is 1.0 & 0.75, the tests at 15 then 30 minutes which they say is more sensitive. API - I got 0.5 right-away then 2.0 after 10 minutes Past history has been a mix of 0.25 and 0.50 all by API which I used because SeaChem was more bothersome. I used to do 10-20% water...
  2. Smoker

Pat --- I never had enough coraline algae to consider it a problem. I like the color. Its just part of shouldn't I at least have some type of algae? My lights have been all LED and whatever I could get cheap. They produce light that should produce algae in the water, no? Right now I have 145W...
  3. Smoker

I started my tank 4 years ago and have never had to clean algae off the glass, rocks, sand, anywhere. I have no coraline algae and when I put rocks in with it, it disappears. I have had unwanted algae like hair and an algae bloom. I can't grow corals either. Xenia and GSP slowly die away...
  4. Smoker

Ring around the coral., what to do?

Thank you very much Dave. So helpful. I haven't done it yet but soon I hope.
  5. Smoker

Ring around the coral., what to do?

The base around my finger leather has been slowly shrinking for months. It hasn't grown any since this ring started. It behaves normally with lights on/off/close/open. I can wipe away the dark outer coating of the ring, exposing a normal looking but thin base, and the dark ring quickly returns...
  6. Smoker

Diffusing LED light?

Is eggcrate a diffuser?
  7. Smoker

Lights for 10g

On my 10 gal. I have been trying a 20W LED floodlight type fixture with soft corals growing well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281591320313?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT He has a variety and you might want a higher wattage for the anemone.
  8. Smoker

What fish, coral, or invert have you most regretted adding to your tank?

Purple Stripe Dottyback Caught it with a bait trap
  9. Smoker

Purple long hair algae!!!!!

You can use a turkey baster to suck/blow it off your rocks and corals.
  10. Smoker

New Hanna Calcium Test Kit review

I tried the Hanna Calcium recently and it was all over the place then got real high even hitting 600 which I think is as high as it goes. The kits seem to be hit or miss according to many reviews I read. I returned it. My API measures calcium the best. I had a near empty tank with Instant...
  11. Smoker

Why is my tank so unstable? (test results)

My pumps were bought at different times and all act the same. They wouldn't make a coral sway and didn't bother sand. When a coral needed high flow I couldn't find an area. Pumps were cleaned bi-monthly because of sediment buildup and algae growing on them. CPR fuge is building a dirt sheet...
  12. Smoker

I have been adding Kent Tech M magnesium for months. It got rid of hair algae so I add it a few times a week. I also started dosing vinegar after I had got to wits end. I got a new Hanna Checker for the last two weeks of dKH readings. I was using Red Sea for the very high tests. I was doing...
  13. Smoker

Ammonia and Nitrite bottles are old and new on the way. NO3, Mg, Ca, dKH, are new and pH is a new meter. Some of the live rock grows stuff even with lights out for days. That's the rock in the front of the tank. I'm going to get rid of it. The rest of the rock is from Reef Cleaners. I'm not...
  14. Smoker

20L running for 1-1/2 years. I thought CO2 had messed things up so I added a scrubber. Test results started to look like they should except for Ammonia and Nitrite. Where does it and nitrate come from? I have 1 fish and don't feed it. I was doing 20% water changes once a week but since...
  15. Smoker

STILL Low Mg....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php Above link shows chart listing ideal parameters for things we commonly test for. Mg = 1250-1350
  16. Smoker

STILL Low Mg....

Kent's directions for using Tech-M takes too long. I lost patience in a few days and started double, then triple then quadruple the recommended dose. It didn't hurt anything. One guy said to dump it all in at once as its a tedious process. Start with the gallon bottle. Maybe you will have some...
  17. Smoker

What do you use to log tank info

ReefCon 2000 is free and seems to have been abandoned by its author. Its available for download all over. It does much more than I use it for.
  18. Smoker

How much weight can the back of a tank support?

Creekview: Thank you for that link. I will hang it up on Monday.
  19. Smoker

The fuge is a CPR 2-1/2 gallon. I have oodles of computer and tank cords all over plus on the floor and I'm afraid if the tank would break. Why is it safe to hang all this stuff on the back wall of a tank? Are they made for this? I plan to fill it with live rock, chaeto and maybe some...
  20. Smoker

Won't the macro algae in the fuge help to decrease what's in the tank?