Search results

1. PEMfish

how important is vacuuming gravel bed?

Its very important in any FW tank. Debris will become trapped and rot in the gravel bed. You need to remove this. Its along the lines of flushing the toilet after your done. Planted tanks should rely on fertilizers for nutrients; you have more control over them, and you wont introduce...
  2. PEMfish

Beginner. Ammonia/nitrite questions, & when do I add plants, start filtering, etc.?

Re: Beginner. Ammonia/nitrite questions, & when do I add plants, start filtering, etc Correct. Wait until the NH3 ( ammonia ) spikes, then start testing. Correct. They should stay at zero permanently. Even a small amount of ammonia is toxic ( 0.03ppm ). You might see trace amount of NO3...
  3. PEMfish

Arowana??

I might be talking out my ass here, but these are my first thoughts; You can get a cheaper heating system than solar. I've even seen house hold water heaters used, but thats not ideal. Pool heaters are what I've heard people have success with. The electricity or gas used with a conventional...
  4. PEMfish

Arowana??

You might be the first person who has taken a judicious approach to keeping one of these. I applaud you. It seems you have a fighting chance here, with the proper water volume and living so far in the south, but these are tropical fish and a cold snap might kill it. You have other fish with...
  5. PEMfish

Who Has Discus for many years in a planted?

True, but even at 5" they are kinda clumsy for a densly planted aquarium.
  6. PEMfish

Who Has Discus for many years in a planted?

Plecos will knock your plants around, and they get big. Discus in a 46g will mean alot of large water changes as stated above. The soil and sand will eventually mix, make your choice now. And sand dose not stop plants from growing, it wont create a boundary. The pot-baskets that plants...
  7. PEMfish

something on my fish!

Its a fungal infection. Treat with Pimafix or other such drug. Fin and tail rot is a bacteria. This is not what you have, you will see the destruction of the fin / tail with the edge bright red. Rasing water temp will lower oxygen levels, be careful with that.
  8. PEMfish

D&D Marine

Is D&D Marine still in business? ( maker of the Termintor II skimmer ) They have not been responding to emails, and there phone lines are disconnected. Anybody know aything? Did they close? New contact inforation?
  9. PEMfish

Water at new house is acidic! Help!

Baking drives off CO2. The PH swing dint kill them, unless it was bigger than you implied. 6.8 will be fine once they adjust, a bit on the low side sure, but you want a stable tank, not a perfect one. The swings in ph you will induce by adding ph+ or sodium bicarbonate will be worse for the...
  10. PEMfish

A fresh light forum

You might wind up pulling your hair out with a good four bulb set up. Balencing out that system will be a pain. It seems to me that most planted pros go with two bulbs for ease of maint. but growth rates suffer.
  11. PEMfish

TINY koi pond filter?

Right. But what ever you do put in that tub the fluval U series filters would be suitable.
  12. PEMfish

PEMs Freshwater Planted 65G build

Hourly. I trim the cabomba every week, and thats as long of an interval as I can get away with on it. The Giant Hygro and Red Wendtii about every two weeks. Recently ( in th last few months ) I realized I had to much light. If you remeber when I built it I put 6 39w T5 HO's over it. I cut...
  13. PEMfish

Neon tetra in trouble?

Lack of oxygen?
  14. PEMfish

Hybrid paludarium

Is the stand MDF?
  15. PEMfish

Hybrid paludarium

Cool. A 36"x24"x24" would be 90g. You'll lose length but gain volume and width. A couple good plants to keep an eye out for are green hedge, and brazilian sword ( peaclily ). Both bog plants, good for your needs. And keep in mind that any leaves that grew above water cannot deal with being...
  16. PEMfish

Sucker fish

About all of them will if there hungry enough.
  17. PEMfish

Drilling a 210 gallon Acrylic tank

Depends on the size of pipe you plan to use.
  18. PEMfish

PH and RO/DI Unit

How long after mixing the salt are you testing?
  19. PEMfish

Shallow Rimless Build

:goofy: