Search results

1. G

snails eating it clean..too clean?

My fighting conch always stayed in the sand, with just every once in a while eating at the edge of the glass. I doubt the snails eat off of the sand? I used to throw in an algae wafer every once in a while for my conch. Sometimes he would eat on it (guess that's the right word?) and other times...
  2. G

Finding a dead snail

Your snail is probably still alive in there somewhere. I would not worry too much about him. You have snails in the sand bed, maybe worms, etc, too (?), then I would not worry about stirring up the sand bed. Let them do their job. 5 gallon water changes once a week (for a 20 gal tank) is...
  3. G

Frozen Food

I see that you have only a ten gal. tank and only one fish. I would hesitate to put a whole cube into your tank at once. I think that would be way too much food. Of course, I may be misreading/misunderstanding the posts. I would slice off a small portion and swirl/swish it in the aquarium...
  4. G

Next Step?

Get reef safe hermits. Most people suggest "scarlett" hermits as being the least aggressive of the hermits, with blue legs, red (different than scarletts) legs, zebras, etc, being somewhat more aggressive to other snails, crabs. I have 2 or 3 scarletts, 1 or 2 blue legs, and a recent addition of...
  5. G

Killer Damsel?

I have always read that Dominoes were extra mean damsels. Hopefully they will get along now. Frank
  6. G

substrate; play sand/sand blasting sand

I use sandblasting sand for my dsb. It is grayish in color and I used the 60 grit (smallest). That does pack pretty good. This is my second go around with this tank/sand. I just replaced my old sandblasting sand with new sandblasting sand which had been in my tank for about 4-5 years. Mine is...
  7. G

Fish on hold at the LFS!

I had one 3-4 years ago with a perc clown and a lemonpeel. I didn't see any aggressiveness on his part. He was always going in and out of the rocks. I thought he was a good fish. Didn't seem to bother anything. My perc and the lemonpeel I used to have had no problems with him. He came up missing...
  8. G

Many A Question...grab a beer!

jk, how is the gramma doing? If he's doing fine, why change? Anyway, do you have live rock? If so, that will be your bacteria filter; therefore, you would not need the sponge filter for a bacteria filter. But, the sponge filter can still be used for a mechanical filter. And the power filter...
  9. G

Just so I got this right.

Sounds good. Just where did you get it and under what name? I couldn't find any thing like that up here in Flag. Sounds like you did good to me. Frank
  10. G

Snails Dying - Looking for Some Advice

Well, I certainly understand the desire to want/do more. Yesterday, I also went to the lfs. I was planning on adding another fish. The one I had been looking at seems to be doing great (Cherub angel). Swims around picking at the rocks, etc. It came up to me a couple of times looking at me. That...
  11. G

Cowrei or conch?

Kenny, not sure what kind mine is. It is very shiny. It is hard for me to describe it, it kind of spotty, but not normal even type of spots, darkish brown color, I think. Not real sure, it stays hidden pretty much during the day, although every once in a while I can spot it hidden among the...
  12. G

Kenny, how is the tank coming along now? Are things starting to improve? I hope so. Again, I think I would let things settle down for awhile. Give the tank a chance to stabilize some. 8 weeks is not very long for the tank to stabilize. It is still going through its stages of cycling/curing. I am...
  13. G

Question on members only substrate, sand if you will!

music, I am not really sure what kind of sand you are talking about. And don't know if I am even close here, buuuttt. There is a place in Utah (used to have it bookmarked but can't find it now) that mines something similar to what you are talking about, I think. It's been so long now, I can't...
  14. G

Cleaning the sandbed

I think a fighting conch would be good for the sand bed. See if you can crush the clumps with your hands or maybe get a butter knife and slice through the sandbed to try and break it up. I forget what causes the clumping? Since you stir the sand bed up anyway and get the particles into the water...
  15. G

No RO/DI Available for Water Changes

Matthew, sounds like your tank is doing good. The brown algae is pretty standard stuff for any new tank, I think. Give it a little while and hopefully, with your snails, it will diminish/go away. If you are concerned about the phosphate readings, then using phos-zorb or similar probably would...
  16. G

Cowrei or conch?

A fighting conch would be a nice addition to a tank with a dsb. I used to have one and really liked him. I will get me another one if my lfs ever gets one in. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a cowry from my lfs. This one is an unknown type. The lfs got 3 of them in and knew little to nothing...
  17. G

cc and clown questions

kimber, I have a percula clown and he acts just as yours does and always has. I have had him 6-7 yrs now. He stays motionless for long periods of time on the bottom (even now, I sometimes wonder if something is wrong, but he has always done it), and then he will swim to the top at other times...
  18. G

Feeding Royal Gramma

I have a royal gramma, perc clown and "sunrise" dottyback. I generally feed once a day and sometimes 2-3 times a day (rarely) because I like to watch them feed. The r.g. eats about anything I put in the tank as does the dottyback. The perc mostly eats just frozen "formula 1" (the reddish cube)...
  19. G

I think you should follow your own advice that you said in post one. Your tank has only been set up for about 7 weeks and you did show a little ammonia in your readings (still going thru cycle stages?). Maybe I should not say anything because I am not sure exactly what an "aquapod" is? I...
  20. G

Algae Outbreak

I'd throw a few more snails in there. Margaritas maybe? Frank