Search results

1. Humblefish

Bacterial Tufts & Viral Nodules

Bacterial Tufts So, I borrowed this terminology from Dr. Charlie Gregory: https://www.aquaveterinarian.com It basically refers to white growths on the fish that are bacterial in nature. They oftentimes start out looking like Ich (or sometimes as small as Velvet) and then look more like...
  2. Humblefish

New recommendation for chelated copper

WARNING: The below recommendations are only applicable to chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power, Coppersafe). They DO NOT APPLY to Cupramine or any other forms of copper. Forward: After consulting with a public aquarium and Jeff@FisHotel.com, below are new recommendations for using chelated copper...
  3. Humblefish

The Copper Window

For those who prophylactically treat with copper for ich & velvet in QT, it's an age old question: Do I treat with copper immediately or wait until the fish begins eating? Both options have solid arguments in their favor. Copper can suppress appetite, so it's a good idea to let a finicky eater...
  4. Humblefish

Biodegradation - Are bacteria rendering your quarantine process useless?

Biodegradation is the term given to the breakdown of organic chemicals by the biological action of a living organism. How is this relevant to our aquariums and in particular, a quarantine tank (QT)? Every single medication you dose (EXCEPT COPPER) is susceptible to biodegradation. (Liquid...
  5. Humblefish

How To Euthanize a fish

I wanted to compile several different contributions into one thread, and make it a sticky. You have two options to use for euthanizing a fish: MS-222 or Pure Clove Oil. For MS-222 you can find more detailed information and fish anesthesia + euthanasia dosages here...
  6. Humblefish

The 20 DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

I wrote this several years ago, but wanted to share it here as well... Please list any useful tips you might have in the comments below! Quarantine DOs and DON’Ts The purpose of this write-up is to offer useful tips and point out common mistakes made during quarantine (QT). DON'T ever use a...
  7. Humblefish

How To Pick Out a "good fish"

Once upon a time, most of us actually went into a Local Fish Shop (LFS) to pick out our fish in person. So, this write-up is geared more towards those who still pick out their fish as opposed to just ordering online. Sometimes ordering livestock online is like getting a box of chocolates...
  8. Humblefish

New Ich Fallow Period

First off, I must thank @victoly for bringing this recent study to my attention: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0044848617317544 It has now been peer-reviewed and the findings verified by other scientists. I'd also like to share a couple of other related studies (below)...
  9. Humblefish

Chemoprophylaxis vs. Observational Quarantine

Preface: There has been much controversy over Chemoprophylaxis vs. Observational Quarantine in our hobby. The purpose of this article is to discuss the best practices for implementing both techniques, and to weigh the pros & cons of these two different methods of quarantining saltwater fish...
  10. Humblefish

Medication Dosing Guide

I wanted to compile a quick reference of the most common aquarium medications we use, and provide dosing guidelines/ranges for each. Below you will find information pertaining to both aquarium brand medications and related generics. Generally speaking, using generics (I buy from here) is...
  11. Humblefish

A tribute to Lee Chin Eng!

Back in the 1980s I used to read books/magazines all the time about the marine aquarium hobby. Most of the information was geared towards high powered filtration and keeping everything sterile. Most saltwater tanks were full of dead bleached coral skeletons, coarse sand and a single fluorescent...
  12. Humblefish

Is lack of biodiversity a problem?

I setup my first true reef tank sometime in the 1980s, and used all live rock to do it. (We didn't even realize back then that "dry rock" was an option.) Anyway, I put the LR in my tank, and of course there was die-off, but I think it cured in a few weeks. I knew it was safe to add fish/corals...
  13. Humblefish

Disease eradication vs. Disease management (new)

This article expands upon the Ich eradication vs. Ich management thread I wrote. It takes other diseases - such as Velvet, Brook, Uronema, Flukes, Bacterial Infections - into consideration; and discusses the best strategies for preventing vs. managing all pathogens commonly found in a saltwater...
  14. Humblefish

PSA: PRIME safe to use with COPPER POWER

First, a few disclaimers: This only applies to using Seachem Prime with Copper Power. I have not tested any other ammonia reducers with any other forms of copper. Seachem, for example, states right on their website that it is dangerous to mix any ammonia reducer with their Cupramine copper...
  15. Humblefish

Trichodina

Trichodina What You Need To Know: * Ciliated protozoan parasite that is not usually problematic unless the potential host(s) are weakened, diseased or being housed in a system with poor water quality. * Symptoms are mostly behavioral: Scratching/flashing, clamped fins, heavy breathing. Heavy...
  16. Humblefish

Black Ich

Black Ich (turbellarians) What You Need To Know: * Parasitic flatworm infestation; tangs are most often afflicted. * Primary symptom is small black dots on the fish. (Not to be confused with Clownfish Hyper-Melanization.) * Best chemical treatments for this disease are Praziquantel and...
  17. Humblefish

Go ahead and use sand in QT

I've never liked the bare bottom QT look, and have noticed how some fish seem uncomfortable in that environment. Especially sand burrowing wrasses, gobies and other fish who utilize sand as part of their daily routine. I've also seen tangs, angels, etc. fight their reflection on the bottom...
  18. Humblefish

Dealing with prazi resistant flukes?

It's going to happen sooner or later... You treat with Prazipro (or General Cure), wait 5-7 days, do your 25% water change and dose again. And yet flukes remain on the fish. :eek: One important step you should take when determining when is the best time to administer the second dose is use this...
  19. Humblefish

Bacterial Infections

Why fish get bacterial infections What You Need To Know: * Infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more virulent, and more common in marine fish. * Bacterial infections are often "secondary" to a preexisting parasitic...
  20. Humblefish

Hybrid TTM to treat all parasites!

*** The information contained here is only EXPERIMENTAL at the moment. Use at your own risk!!! *** So, I wanted to start a discussing regarding the use of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) in conjunction with Tank Transfer Method. For those who may not be familiar with TTM read this: Tank Transfer...