Search results

1. R

What Pump?

Someone please recommend a good return pump for me. I have a 90 gal standard rectangle tank with dual returns going into the tank pointing left and right. Built in overflow, A sump below the tank that the pump will sit in. Maybe 5 feet or so from sump to top of the water surface. Thanks
  2. R

Which fans?

I need to order a couple of 4" canopy fans for my 75 ga. Can anyone recommend a brand that does a good job without a whole lot of noise? And maybe suggest where to buy from? Thanks
  3. R

New Lights

OK, need some input please. I have had T-5 lighting now for about 6 months The lighting is the Current Nova high output T-5' s. Four bulbs consisting of (2ea) 10,000 K and (2ea) of actinic bulbs. Have them for my 75 gal mixed reef and fish. Absoluetly love them. Many softies,leathers,sps etc. a...
  4. R

Calcium at 750

My calcium level is sitting at 750. I know this is high but everything in my mixed reef 75 gal tank is doing well. Should I slowly decrease this level to get it down? By the way, if anyone has heard of this, I have been using the GARF "bullet proof" addition of chemicals for quite some time...
  5. R

Blowing Smoke ?

I have a black long spine urchin that was releasing some white smoke? It stopped after a few minutes, anyone got any idea what this is all about? Thanks, Ron
  6. R

Emaralds Or Not

I have had a green hair algea outbreak ive been fighting for quite some time. Tried just about everything, have my own RO system, all water parameters good , have 2 long black urchins, do one 20 gal water change monthly, have a small refugium, lights on for app. 9 hours daily, tangs that dont...
  7. R

Never had a planted tank!!!

Got a 75 gal freshwater tank, never had live plants. Tough to mantain plants? If someone has a good example of what to start out with, I would sure like to try. Do I put all the plants in all at once or no? Please recommend some types that are easily cared for so I will not kill them. Thanks to...
  8. R

Hair Algae Still

Has anyone had any luck with emarald crabs help with eating hair algae? I heard they eat bubble algae but I have none of that. Thanks, Ron
  9. R

Long Spine Black Urchin

I got my two black long spine urchins a couple of days ago in my 75 gal. tank. But after two days neither has moved whatsoever. Is this normal behavior with these guys? never had one before. Got lots of green hair algea for them to eat. Hopefully they will. Heard some will and some won't. Thanks...
  10. R

Handling my sea urchin

I have ordered 2 long spine sea urchins but don't know how to put these in my 75 aquarium. Can they be handled without gloves ?
  11. R

Long spine black urchin

How well do these long spine black urchins work against green hair algea? I have heard both ways, Yae and nae. I've got alot of corals ( mostly softies). Any chance of these things hurting them ? Hair algea out of control. Need to try something different. Desperate! Can I put 2 in my 75 gal...
  12. R

Lights On Too Long?

On my 75 gal, I have a set up of T-5 lighting. Many softies and montipora. My lights are on about 12 hrs. a day. I am still fighting some green algae. All chem. parameters are good. How's the lighting time seem to ya? Is 12 hrs. sound about right or maybe too long?
  13. R

Acclimation

I will be receiving some small pieces of Montipora next week, but am not sure how to acclimate these guys. Any suggestions? Also ,how far apart, etc. They will be small (about 2" each, 5 total) Also, where should I place these in my 75 gal mixed tank. I have lots of circulation with 2 powerful...
  14. R

ID Please

Bought it, forgot the name. Help :dance:
  15. R

Tds Readings

:turntable I just received my new TDS meter today. Would someone tell me what an acceptable amount of TDS is? The meter is reading 10 PPM after going through my RO system. I've had my RO system for about 6 months using maybe 5 gal every other day with monthly water changes of 25 gals. Never have...
  16. R

Tang Stuff

Can someone tell me how to blanch romaine lettuce for my tangs? How long in the microwave or on the stove,ect. Am feeding them seaweed select but would like to supplement with lettuce. Any suggestions ?I have a blue tang, yellow tang and foxface rabbitfish. Hope its not too many tangs in my 75...
  17. R

To Replace Or Not To Replace

A little help please. I have a Captive Purity 35 gal/day. RO/DI system. I use it everyday. At least 5 gal a day for evaporation and a 30 gal water change monthly. I have had this unit since early July. My tank has developed green hair algea all over the place !!!! Seems like overnight. My...
  18. R

To Cure Or Not To Cure

How about anyone that has experience in curing live rock. I'm about to purchase 50 lbs to add to my existing 75 gal tank (already have about 20 lbs in it). Can someone give me instructions on how to cure this new stuff before adding to my tank?? Thanks, Ron
  19. R

A Little Ball

My small white sabea has rolled up in a tiny ball! What's up with this? Should I be real concerned or is this temporary. I have nothing in my tank that will disturb it He looks so sad. Thanks for any input, Ron
  20. R

Dirty Socks

I am now using a sump sock , can anyone recommend how to clean these things. I have two. Thanks, Ron