Search results

1. S

A discussion on Immunity

For certain the article validates what you say about gut cavity bacteria enhancing fish immune system. Ever since I followed your advice and started going to the HEB live seafood counter for mussels & oysters, my reef tanks have come alive. Of recent, since I have learned some of the...
  2. S

Feeding Mandarin

Uncle, If your pod populations are mature you may already have the food webs necessary to sustain adequate populations.. As a rule, amphipods are herbivores and copepods are detrivores. Your porous rock may well provide enough food for your mandarin. They live in substrate as well.
  3. S

Fantastic Whiteworms

Neat. Why do you say that these worms are more nutritious than pods. I thought that marine algae’s supplied complex omega enzymes to increase nutritional value of pods. I am raising silver mollies that graze on marine algae. I feel that their nutritional value is enhanced by what they eat.
  4. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, You and I are doing a new build at about the same time. Because 90lbs of uncured diver collected rock from the GOM is curing in outside 150G Rubbermade tanks, I need speed my project up so as not to incur winter heating requirements. I agree with you on the sponges and three months ago...
  5. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, Thank you for making my day more rosy. Next week, I am setting up a 120G new build. As I am interested in producing live food with larvae from sand bed detrivores, I planned on using < 2” of CaribSea “Special Reef Grade” aroggonite with a reverse flow undergravel filter. What depth and...
  6. S

Tank turned 49 this year

I have overflowed complete systems due to snails in piping.
  7. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, just being the person that you are helps. It was only after a divorce from a 38 year marriage that I realized, I can’t fix everything. I am not sure I can fix myself anymore, much less someone else. Keep on trucking my brother. You inspire many people. I am in the middle of reading...
  8. S

Tank turned 49 this year

I copied the reverse flow ug filter on some 40G breeder tanks, it worked, but was not set up long enough to prove anything. For long term operation of a sand bed deeper than 1”, reverse flow prevents detritus from sinking deep and clogging sandbed. With certain facultative bacteria, there most...
  9. S

Fish are Smarter than we are

While working on a drilling rig in the days without satellite tv, we would talk after the work day in the galley. Be sure, iron sharpeth iron. In one discussion, I thought I had the Barge Engineer on the ropes when I told him that God had appointed me as steward of the earth and as such I was...
  10. S

Copepods?

As a as a back up food source of live food, including pods, set up largest HOB box that you can get as a refugium. No light necessary. Just throw in rubble and seed with live pods to quick start.
  11. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, What size tank? Details like reverse flow under gravel.
  12. S

That thing about fish changing sex, I recall a specific scenario with Clown Fish. In Clown fish hierarchy most are immature males, then there rises a super male. There is only one female in the tribe. When she dies, the “super male” morphs into a female.
  13. S

Paul, you are unique. I laugh too much when I read your stuff. After getting into your thoughts, it reminds me of how I sometimes thought after an LSD trip. Remember, I was raised in the sixties.
  14. S

A discussion on Immunity

Paul, I seem to remember a post you made about the symptoms for MS going away when your wife was pregnant. I found that very interesting that symptoms would go away during pregnancy, yet return after baby is born. I think that is in the realm of “Intelligent Design”.
  15. S

Fighting ich with kick-ich / garlic & vitamin c

Even after doing this for 45 yrs, I still have fun. However, the intricacies of how nature works all its details fascinates me. Nothing happens in a vacume. A reef tank is an eco system that is holistic in nature. Different components of the biological filtration system are interconnected...
  16. S

Fighting ich with kick-ich / garlic & vitamin c

Uncle, After PaulB first started talking about fish immune system, it was related to HTLL disease. As he pointed out, it was not a disease but a symptom of being in captivity, most likely related to substandard nutrition. It was an easy enough fix to get live mussels from the seafood market at...
  17. S

Aquarium Technologies Originally Used in Other Industries

Very interesting. For those with dsb, anaerobic digesters also came from the waste water industry.
  18. S

If you think urchins only eat algae,think again

Paul, Perhaps you should switch your cuc to blue point crabs. You can eat them after they do their job. Manatee are too rubbery. I like pods in my cuc. Some years back, I was posting about eating Red Ogo straight out of my refugium. A chef in Kansas City asked me how I cleaned the Ogo of...
  19. S

HELP! Clean up Crew recommendation ?

Reef cleaners has much information. For macro algae info, I recommend Russ Kronwetter at Gulf Coast EcoSystem. At his website, click on free info for the most pragmatic comprehensive coverage of macro algae available anywhere. I think his site is live-plants.com
  20. S

How I Feel you can run a natural, immune tank for over 40years

Interesting. You have a unique way to blend science, art and sarcasm heavy with humor. Keep it up.