Search results

1. TomV

A BUNCH of critters and corals arriving tomorrow.. Acclimation?

Thanks to my friend Dana (at Dana's Caribbean Critters), I have this list of critters and corals coming in tomorow: 10 Nassarius Snails 10 Turbo Grazer Snails (Astaria) 50 Blue Leg Hermits 1 Serpent Starfish 1 Coral Banded Shrimp 1 Sally Lightfoot Crab 1 Corky Sea Finger Gorgonia 1...
  2. TomV

Finally bringing my reef back from being a messy FOWLR. Questions..

After power outages and disasters related to them, I really got burned out and discouraged. It seemed I lost fish every time we had a power outage and they always happened in the middle of Winter! :snow: So, after picking up some battery operated pumps and now that the Spring is here, I've...
  3. TomV

My sponges. Can anyone ID the branching one?

I've had these sponges in my 55g for years now. They survived the power outage disaster (4 days without power in the middle of winter) which killed off just about everything else at the time. They are survivors for sure and definitely weird. Please excuse my camera as it has something wrong...
  4. TomV

WTB: Shrooms, Shrooms and more Shrooms!

Hi folks! It's time to rebuild my dream! Some people consider them a nuisance because they multiply so fast. I am madly in love with them. I'm talking Shrooms here! ANY kind ANY color. I would especially love some hairy shrooms if ya got 'em! If you have them, let me know. The more the...
  5. TomV

Hi folks! Been a long time. Big decisions ahead...

Hi folks. It's been ages since I posted here. I've been kinda flatlining about my reefkeeping hobby for the past year. It has been so disappointing for me. Now, if you don't want to read my approaching whiny post, stop reading right now. ;) But, if you're a glutton for punishment or would...
  6. TomV

Condy Update......(for those who were concerned)

Well, when I first got my big Condy Anemone from the LFS, some of you felt it was way too bleached. Well, I can say that after feeding it regularly, and it being hosted by a nutty Clarkii Clown, it seems to have colored up a bit! It eats with no help as well. It was weird watching it send...
  7. TomV

My Clarkii Clownfish broke the rules!!!

I got a Condy Anemone recently. It was white at first, but after feeding it a little, it started to color up. Now, it seems my Clarkii Clown has taken to hosting it! I've been watching for signs of stress, shrinking, etc. But it seems to have colored up even more now with the clown! It's weird...
  8. TomV

Coral and Invert Experts, do these look like they're doing ok?

I just got my new Metal Halide 175w 14k light yesterday. I love it! Finally using Metal Halide after all this time! :D :D I am acclimating the tank to the new light by hanging it higher than I would and then lowering it an inch a week (as was suggested to me). I went out and picked up a...
  9. TomV

My AC500 Fuge is only 4 days old and is LOADED with life!!

Hi folks! Before you ask, I don't have any pics because something is wrong with my motherboard's USB. I gotta get a new motherboard of the same type in a couple weeks and then I'll be able to post pics of the fuge in action. Well, I made an AC500 Fuge from the instructions here...
  10. TomV

The 10g Upgrade.... Need advice.....

Reefing geniuses!!! I need your advice about what to do. I am definitely going to be upgrading my 10g Nano to a bigger tank (20g or so). Here are the ways I can go and the costs involved. My budget for the project is $250 - $300. Here are the 2 options I am weighing. - First...
  11. TomV

Nano Cube Questions

I'm planning to change out my 10g standard tank to a 12g Nano Cube. I plan to use all the rock and half of the water from the 10g when I do the switch. I will use most, if not all the Live Sand substrate and will supplement with the Southdown that I've had on hand for a while. I think this will...
  12. TomV

Coral road trip tomorrow

Well, I'm heading out on another coral buying trip to a LFS an hour and a half away tomorrow. I am planning on seeing if they have any Shrooms because I badly want some more in the tank. There's only 3 and an Orange Ric in my tank right now. My brown button polyps haven't been opening up all...
  13. TomV

Finally gonna go Metal Halide... Lighting advice needed...

Well, after all these years, I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and go Metal Halide. I am tired of the look of straight power compacts and I really want my corals to take off. I am thinking of keeping the new lights that are arriving tomorrow (130watt PC 50/50 48") and adding one or two Metal...
  14. TomV

Coral ID? Colt Coral?

Hi folks! I picked this coral up a week ago. It looked to me like a Colt, but I'm not sure. Looking at the way the polyps and branches are branched off of 2 big thick stalks on the bottom, could this be a colt? The Coral is about an inch and a half high. If it's a colt, then someone must...
  15. TomV

Hi folks! Just some updated pics of the 55g's inhabitants! (56k beware!)

Hi Folks! Just wanted to update on my 55g which is nearly 1 year into it's recovery from the horrible disaster it endured due to a winter storm in Feb 06. I picked up some corals the other day to supplement a little. My apologies for anything out of focus, etc. Here's a rock with a bunch...
  16. TomV

Hi folks! Been a long time. Need rebuilding advice!

:hallo: Hi folks! It's been ages since I posted here. Well, I am rebuilding my tanks up after just coasting with my reef tanks for the past year or so since the horrible power outage loss fest. :look: So, what I need to know is where to get some good corals online or local to me. I don't...
  17. TomV

More critters for the 55g (Reeftopia)--56k beware...

Well, my Reeftopia order arrived today! The Serpent Star took off for points unknown and evertthing else has been digging around the rocks... Here are 3 pics of some stuff that is still visible, and one pic if a bizarre orange-banded hermit that I got as a hitchhiker from the LFS yesterday...
  18. TomV

55 Gallon Rebirth Continued---Fish....(56K Beware!!)

Well, here are some good pics of the fish who are doing very well in the 55g. Just to sum up: We lost power in a freak winter windstorm which happened the beginning of Feb. Lost all fish and 95% of my corals. A couple of small Ricordea and my Yellow Gorgonian survived. The tank still has a...
  19. TomV

The 10g Nano shall rise from the ashes.....

While my once glorious 10g Nano sat under the 55g and holds a ton of Chaeto, I was unsure of what to do with it. I finally decided to bring it back to life. It was a great tank in it's day and easy to maintain. When I ordered my base rock, they sent me a big boulder with the smaller pieces...
  20. TomV

My Coral plans--- now that everything is back to life...

This is from a MS Word file where I have laid out my plans. I am debating whether to make the second part be 2 whole parts--just minus the Xenia. Here's the text of the file. Coral Plans for 55g Pacific East Aquaculture (Dr. Mac’s) (First Shipment) 4/15 Zooanthid Colony - $60 Pulsing...