Search results

1. TomV

A BUNCH of critters and corals arriving tomorrow.. Acclimation?

That sounds like a neat way of doing the acclimation, Jeremy! It will be interesting to see it in action.
  2. TomV

Well, I just got finished setting up my drip systems... Hopefully everything comes in within the next hour. Gonna be an interesting afternoon! LOL!
  3. TomV

I would think that while the warm water from your tank is dripping, it takes a while for the whole volume to cool down.. I plan to drip for an hour or two. Hopefully that will be enough. Astarea snails have always been tough for me with a lot of die off before because I didn't drip.
  4. TomV

Thanks to my friend Dana (at Dana's Caribbean Critters), I have this list of critters and corals coming in tomorow: 10 Nassarius Snails 10 Turbo Grazer Snails (Astaria) 50 Blue Leg Hermits 1 Serpent Starfish 1 Coral Banded Shrimp 1 Sally Lightfoot Crab 1 Corky Sea Finger Gorgonia 1...
  5. TomV

Finally bringing my reef back from being a messy FOWLR. Questions..

I'll probably end up buying a Un-interruptible Power Supply first and then a Generator sometime in the Fall. Our power outages aren't long in the Spring and Summer if and when they happen. But Winter, if one happens, it's at least a day. So, I would need the extra juice for the Heaters AND the...
  6. TomV

I think I may be able to manage 5 gallons a week for a water change. It may not be perfect. But, it's better than nothing. Right?
  7. TomV

Hi Chris, I have a Python that reaches downstairs. I could buy another length to get it to the bathroom sink, where I plan to hook up a RO/DI system when I eventually get one. So, I could probably send the RO/DI water upstairs from the Python via a pump to a holding tank. There, I could mix the...
  8. TomV

Hey Frankie! Thanks, bud! Varga: How small in a 55g? Something like 2 gallons every other day or something? That would be kind of odd, though because my saltwater evaporates nearly a gallon a day..... I guess I better buy extra RO/DI water till I get my own filter. It's 68 cents a gallon...
  9. TomV

Thanks for the welcome! So, you're saying I don't have to feed the corals anything really? I still have some "Reef Chili" which has lots of vitamins, no phosphates or nitrates, and different kinds of coral foods within. I guess I'll use that. I used it before with good results. My filter...
  10. TomV

Yeah, I know I said this before. I did try to bring the tanks back to life over the Winter... but the power outages killed off my fish and corals again... :(
  11. TomV

After power outages and disasters related to them, I really got burned out and discouraged. It seemed I lost fish every time we had a power outage and they always happened in the middle of Winter! :snow: So, after picking up some battery operated pumps and now that the Spring is here, I've...
  12. TomV

WTB: Shrooms, Shrooms and more Shrooms!

Hi folks.. announcement here. Thanks for the help getting me connected with people with shrooms, but I have to put off the order and the request for now. Yesterday, our car was involved in a side-impact collision. Luckily, our Ford Focus is made really well, because no one got hurt, THANK GOD...
  13. TomV

Wow! Quite a collection in there! Sounds pretty nice! Any recent pics of it?
  14. TomV

I will be buying around the 15th of the month. PM me some pics of what you have or post. This week got tied up with a big Clean Up Crew purchase from a diver friend of mine I know in Florida. She's shipping me a bunch at a huge discount. So, I couldn't pass it up. But, I WILL be buying on...
  15. TomV

My sponges. Can anyone ID the branching one?

Well, I've gone over many web pages on sponges and I still haven't been able to ID the white branching ones.
  16. TomV

Ok, I did a little work on the lens of my camera and got it to come out a bit clearer. Here are the mutated looking Sponges and a pic of the Red Encrusting Sponge with a bunch of Feather Dusters in the same area. If anyone knows what those branching white sponges are, let me...
  17. TomV

I've had these sponges in my 55g for years now. They survived the power outage disaster (4 days without power in the middle of winter) which killed off just about everything else at the time. They are survivors for sure and definitely weird. Please excuse my camera as it has something wrong...
  18. TomV

Allen, I WANT them to become "Weed Like"!! :D If I had a tank that had mostly just varieties of shrooms with a Finger Leather and/or a Colt Coral thrown in for good measure, I would NOT complain. :D :D BTW, your 10g looks amazing! What are your specs? I am slowly bring my 10g Nano back to...
  19. TomV

Hi folks! It's time to rebuild my dream! Some people consider them a nuisance because they multiply so fast. I am madly in love with them. I'm talking Shrooms here! ANY kind ANY color. I would especially love some hairy shrooms if ya got 'em! If you have them, let me know. The more the...