Search results

1. SPR

Galapagos - Adventures of an English “Marine Aquarist”!

So with my 50th birthday looming on the horizon, it was time to plan something a little special. I really didn’t have any idea what I could do, but having just finished watching one of the latest David Attenborough documentaries, I was overcome by an idea of adventure. I mentioned visiting the...
  2. SPR

Water Changes - How do you do it ?

@Pat24601 I started this because I didn’t want to hijack the other thread. So your fed up of lugging 5 gallons water buckets around. So was I! There are many easier ways and what I have done is firstly I mix 120 litres of fresh saltwater (this is the size of my sump) in a large container...
  3. SPR

Mesh V Felt Filter Socks ?

I’ve always used the Red Sea mesh 225 micron filter socks and am getting fed up of washing them, and since I can’t buy disposable ones from anywhere on earth I need to look at options. And I don’t want to make them either before anyone suggests the great thread on this, as I prefer drinking...
  4. SPR

Views gone crazy?

Has something gone wrong with the number of views on here as they gone crazy upwards? Either that or site has become even more popular! Looks like something’s been tampering with it or cyber robots viewing or something
  5. SPR

How to move water ?

im looking at setting up a simple system to move new salt water from a large container in my garage through around 15-20metres of tube into my sump as part of a water change. Now I tried it today with a Eheim 1000litre/ph pump I had laying around and it didn't move the water at all So I am...
  6. SPR

Blue Throat Triggers Spawning Caught On Video?

Im no expert on fish behaviour, but I think my Triggers have been spawning and I happen to catch it on video. I've posted the videos on my build thread which is as follows if any of you fish experts have any thoughts ...
  7. SPR

Brightwell Aquatics Xport NO3 Brick ?

I was just wondering if anybody has tried this ? My LFS has started selling them and i have read the info on their web site and it looks quiet good as an alternative to the Marine Pure Blocks which I was originally going to try for some additional Nitrate removal.
  8. SPR

HELP! Red Sea Refractometer Arm 'Stiff'

After just over a year of use the 'flip' arm joint has got quiet stiff and clumsy were it attaches to the body. Anyone got any tips on how to loosen/lubricate it ? I assume it's caused by salt creep into the joint over a period. Although mine is the Red Sea I assume they are all similar design.
  9. SPR

NoPox with Rowaphos?

i have been dosing NoPox for around 6 months in my Max S 650 litre and around a month ago I reduced the dosage from 12ml to 6 ml per day as the nitrate was around 1.5ppm and phosphate around 0.8 and indeed these are roughly the current levels although the phosphate has crept up to around...
  10. SPR

Marine Pure Blocks

Hi Guys Anybody tried these and are they any use to add to reef tank dosing NoPox for a bit of additional help for nitrates/phosphate / filtration in sump of Max S 650? My nitrates are around 1-1.5 and phosphate around 0.08 to 0.12 so around parameters for the accelerated growth I have...
  11. SPR

Apex system - what exactly can you do with it?

I set up my Red Sea Max S 650 in June 2016 and am now looking at maybe setting the Apex system up but I am new to the hobby and just wondered exactly what you can do with it ? I have the following: Main pump C Skim 1800 HYdra 26 LEDs Kamoer 4 channel dosing pump UVC steriliser Heaters and...
  12. SPR

Bubbles in Dosing Pump Tubes?

I have just set up a 4 channel Kamoer dosing pump and am using TMC dosing containers (the ones with the round hole in the top with a blue lid). When I prime the tubes there are no bubbles and the liquid flows through fine. However over the period of a few days I start to see air pockets in the...
  13. SPR

Mesh or Felt Filters for Max S ?

I am currently running the Red Sea 225 micron mesh Filters in my Max S 650 but seem to be getting quiet a lot of debris in the sump. I haven't tried the felt ones but from what I've read they seem to be a lot harder to clean (they aren't going in washing machine!!) than mesh I was also...
  14. SPR

Red Sea Max S 650 etc and 2 weeks holidays ??

Hi Guys I am do to go away in the new year and although I have someone who can top of the ATO and feed, I am weary as last time I was away i had a few issues with the skimmer being turned down, water quality suffering badly which I assume was food and the reduced skimmer, which I think led to...
  15. SPR

HELP! dinoflagellates??

Hi Guys Over the last month or so i have has some brown algae patches appear as per photo below Originally i thought this was hair algae but i am now thinking its dinoflagellates PICTURES UPDATED 19/09/16
  16. SPR

Additional Auto Top Off for Max S Series

I go away many times throughout the year and the built in top off in my S 650 only lasts for around 4-6 days safely depending on heat conditions etc Early next year I go away for 2 weeks and although I have someone with no aquarium knowledge to check things I am trying to make the system...
  17. SPR

Copepods & Rotifers?

Ok guys as the next stage in my Marine adventure can you point me in the direction of the needs of my tank for these and how many and how often?? I don't want to breed them I would sooner buy and get delivered and they come in pouches from around 100ml upwards. Do I need to dump a load in to...
  18. SPR

Auto Dosing & Balling Method

I have been using the Red Sea NoPoX for months and also been activiely using the Red Sea Foundations A B & C for around 10 weeks and things are looking good. I am looking to get the Kamoer 4 channel doser (thanks to much advice on here) as I do go away for around a week every month so am...
  19. SPR

System Water Volume Calculation?

I am just trying to get a more accurate guess of my system water volume in my Max S 650 for dosing calculations etc. The system I believe holds 650 litres and specs as per Red Sea web site When I built it I think I roughly added 573 litres of water (with around 70kg Rock/20kg sand at the time...
  20. SPR

Sand Sifting Goby that doesnt throw sand everywhere?

I was just looking for thoughts in a Goby for my Red Sea 650 I had i think a diamond goby in my smaller tank but he threw sand all over including corals etc so i wanted one that cleans the sand but doesn't throw it everywhere?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk