Search results

1. Shawntay

my first tank

I believe I cycled before the LFS got involved. The guy at the store said it looked like it did. I don't have any Nitrites and my last Nitrates look like now. I posted a pic of my test strip from today. I haven't really thought too hard about what I want to populate the tank with. I do know at...
  2. Shawntay

my first tank

it has been quite sometime since I have posted about my tank. I kept saying I was gonna get my cleaner crew but since I was so confused about my water readings I decided to talk to my LFS. They have done water tests and made suggestions and then I went on vacation. I figured I didn't want to put...
  3. Shawntay

my first tank

That is so awesome. Congratulations.
  4. Shawntay

my first tank

I haven't posted about my tank in about a month. It was a bit of a back burner while finishing up my Master's thesis. I figured since the tank was empty I could just monitor my levels to see when the tank cycles while working on the paper. Well I have no idea what I'm looking at. I was doing the...
  5. Shawntay

Is this normal

[emoji50][emoji33][emoji1419][emoji1417] whew ok. Off to read more about algae Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. Shawntay

Is this normal

Ok. So this stuff is now everywhere Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Shawntay

Is this normal

Thanks for the info. Is it ok to keep the lf that's in there now and what about the stuff on the rock, tank, and sand? Is this a cleaning crew issue ?
  8. Shawntay

Is this normal

the ro/di was first. then i took it our and now it's sw.
  9. Shawntay

Is this normal

Hi so I'm still a bit new to saltwater tanks and I want to see if I'm going in the right direction. Here is the back story for those that aren't following my tank thread. So I'm in the process of probably killing this tank. I added my sand, 70lbs of dry rock, and about 10lbs of live rock I...
  10. Shawntay

my first tank

For those that are following along, here is what my two pieces of live rock look like right now. Also, I think, in the last picture, that is a clam. Can anyone confirm? It was on one of the LR. it was closed a few days ago but I noticed it open last night. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  11. Shawntay

my first tank

Thanks so much for the information. One other question. Where did you get those graphs? Is there a good program I can log my tank parameters?
  12. Shawntay

my first tank

Here is where we are now... I may need more live rock. I'll have to post a close up of the live rock I have in there now but I don't know if I screwed up the tank or not when I had the RO/DI water in the tank. It was there for a couple of days before I could make new RO/DI water and mix it...
  13. Shawntay

Moving water

Thank you for the advice. I had to get a different pump and right now there is water in the tank. There will be new pics to my build thread coming later b Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Shawntay

my first tank

This is the picture from two nights ago. I was able to start putting water in but after about 50 gallon realized that I hadn't added the salt. Then I was having trouble figuring out which outlet was which on the Apex. The used Vortech said it had an update so I tried to do that and now its...
  15. Shawntay

Moving water

Wow. Thanks. I need that emoji that shows my head exploding from an awesome idea. This is exactly why I love this forum. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. Shawntay

Moving water

Hello, I am working on my first tank and made the mistake (well it feels like one to me) of making my first 32gallon batch of RO/DI water in my basement. I figured the 50ft siphon would be fine to get the water up to my living room where my tank is located. well....nope. i have to siphon some...
  17. Shawntay

my first tank

3/28 update. Over the weekend there were 5 trips to Home Depot, 4 trips to my lfs, 1 to lowes, and 3 to petco. While dealing with the plumbing to my reef tank I set my daughters up with a 40g tank for Glo fish. Their tank was up and running with 5 Glo fish within 3 hours. My tank....still...
  18. Shawntay

Vortech advice

And I did. Thanks for all the advice. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. Shawntay

New girl on the block

Hi ChristinaJ. Sorry to hear about your fish. I am new to both the reef and the site so I can't offer any advice but it's nice to meet other ladies in the hobby.
  20. Shawntay

Vortech advice

Hi all. I am looking for a bit of advice about getting a used Vortech MP40wES. I have the opportunity to get two for $200. I was about to go online to order just 1 for my 75 gallon tank. According to the flow calculator from Ecotech's site my tank really only needs 1 mp40 and I could possibly...