Search results

1. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

Thanks. I am getting some glass pieces cut to fit the odd shaped gap at the back, and also to minimise the gap when I use a holiday feeder. I don't have any more leave at the moment (from work) so I can't really order any livestock. So for now the shrimp / gobie pair are on hold.
  2. PCDS

My 1st SW tank.4 months old..in progress. Still learning this new hobby...

Beautiful pictures. What camera/ lenses are you using?
  3. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

Thanks. I have asked my local LFS guy as well as looking online, the problem is I want a candy cane/ Randal's pistol shrimp- which is smaller and better suited for a nanocube, vs a tiger pistol shrimp. There is a bit of a supply issue at the moment. I will keep looking.
  4. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

I am very sad to report that my Wheeler's shrimp gobie leapt out of the tank and suicided! :wah: I have a glass cover for the tank, but because of the overflow and the return piping, there is a small gap at the back. I have had a piece of plastic cut to fit this now and will get that cut in...
  5. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

Thanks. I see why you called it Mr Grumpy! I haven't given up on SPS yet, but I will wait till the tank has stabilised a bit more before replacing them. The stylophora were a bit of an after thought rather than my first choice. They seem more hardy than the acropora but I'm not kidding my self...
  6. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

I haven't updated in a while. I have had some losses from the multitude of corals I bought - too many and too soon ! Of the SPS corals, I only have 2 that are not dead or on their way out. On the other hand my golden torch is doing well as are my two Duncan corals ( including the one I rescued...
  7. PCDS

I need to ID an sps thanks in advance

Not sure, looks like an LPS- ?Galaxy coral?
  8. PCDS

Red Sea S-650 - Dave's marine adventure

How often do you feed your fish? I failed with a pair of Anthias in the past, and when I was trying to figure out what I did wrong, I thought they needed feeding several times a day due to short guts or something like that.
  9. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

Unfertilised clownfish eggs.
  10. PCDS

In mourning

I feel for you. I am in mourning for my Kole tang at the moment. I tried a CBB once but my Yellow tang harassed it too much and it too didn't make it. The yellow tang is about 7 years old and gets grumpier each year! I have also had good luck with a fish trap to catch a very skittish naso tang...
  11. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

Thanks everyone. Whilst I really liked this fish I don't think I will replace it. I still have two tangs in my tank and I am aware that three was pushing it. Even with the large sump, the main tank is only 4x2x2 feet. In the future I may add some thing smaller. For the moment just water changes...
  12. PCDS

PCDS -The reef story

I'm due a big delivery today including several different types of algae/seaweed sheets, but unfortunately my yellow eye kole did not make it. I now have loads of algae to clean off the glass! I suspect it was not really a lack of food. It may have developed some sort of parasitic infection. Up...
  13. PCDS

Anybody had a bad/disappointed experience with biopellets?

does this mean what I think it does?!?:hammerhead:
  14. PCDS

dKH advice for SPS novice please

Thanks. You make a good point. 3 weeks is still early days. Problem is everything in the tank is new! o_O My zoas, my Duncan and my blasto look okay. My torch looks alright but I wonder if more expansion could be possible ( the torch in my large tank extends more) I rescued some corals from my...
  15. PCDS

Thanks. That was my intention but I noticed some slight bleaching at the tip of one of the branches that was not there before. (Not visible on this picture. )I was reading another post where some one had some bleaching of an acropora and they were advised to slowly increase the ALK. They were...
  16. PCDS

Anybody had a bad/disappointed experience with biopellets?

Happy Birthday!:birthday:
  17. PCDS

This should be purple/pink This should be blue including the polyps. The rest are similarly more brown than the colours they should be. The SPS corals are at the top level just a few inches below my light. Kessil 150 LED.
  18. PCDS

The drop is about 0.6 - 0.8 (dKH) in a week going from 7.6 down to just below 7. If I gradually increased the ALk to about 9 artificially, would the levels then fluctuate between 9 and about 8.4 with my weekly water changes, or would it just drop right down as soon as I stop supplementing Alk...
  19. PCDS

I've noticed that my Ca stays stable with the water changes but my Alk tends to fall. I have 7 SPS corals and several LPS corals in the tank. Should I consider adding kalkwasser to my topup water container?
  20. PCDS

Am I the only newbie?

Don't worry, when we are having problems we tend to post more often. If you look back a month or so, I was posting loads! Newly set up tanks do go through teething problems. The bacteria numbers needed to handle the bio load is still developing. my coral tank is about 5- 6 months old and I am...