Search results

1. A

24K Gold Molly

Anyone know anything about this type of molly? When I try to research online I see pics of it being yelllow and other pics being orange. Exactly what color is it? Also is there any place online that you know about that would have this fish? Thanks!! AJ
  2. A

Worm? Parasite?

Question. With my freshwater tank, I notice what looked like a small eyelash on the glass....then I saw another and both looked like they were moving. I thought it was just a piece of dirt and the movement was from the water current. But then I took a magnifying glass and it looked like a...
  3. A

Buying Fish Online

Besides liveaquaria, anyone know a good, reputable site to buy fish online. For my smaller tank Im looking for some fancy guppies...but COLORFUL ones. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!!
  4. A

Lighting Question....T4 vs T5 bulb

This is thebulb I currently have for my wall aquarium: T4 bulb - 12 watt 6400K It looks to be 18 inches in length. Would this T5 fit? https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CU02142.html Current USA 18 Inch 20W T5HO 10,000K Daylight SlimPaq Bulb How about this one...
  5. A

I got a male boesemani

I saw one at the lfs which is definitely male so I bought him. I put him in the tank and he has thebest coloration but not very intense which could be because he is new and a little stressed. 1.) Heres the question...I have 2 AUSTRALIAN rainbowfish in the same tank and BOTH are male. Is it...
  6. A

My 5 rainbow fish

Well I have 2 Australians and they are both definitely males...one is definitely more dominant than the other. Its the 3 boesemani Im wondering about. NONE of them are showing the blue in the front half, yellow in the back half. Based on shape and fin colors, I would tend to think that at...
  7. A

Spectrastone

I changed my gravel toEstes Spectrastone. I really like it...it looks very real as opposed to the colored gravel. Im just disappointed with the boesemani. Maybe theyre still juvies and Im impatient, but I want to see the intense colors. Im pretty sure at least 2 if not 3 are male...is it...
  8. A

Medication question....extra dose?

I treated my tank with fungus cure which helped. Then I started treatment with tetracycline as I believed there was also a bacterial infection going on. I followed the directions and the final dose was given last night. The fish have vastly improved, are swimming and still eating very well...
  9. A

Preference of substrate for freshwater tank

You all like those realistic stones or different shapes and sizes? Or you prefer that colored gravel - like all blue or green or red, etc? I know its all personal preference, but would like your opinions. :)
  10. A

Changing Gravel

I was never loving my gravel. It started out white, since medicating the tank, many of the stones turned green and Im not sure that will go away. When I change gravel can I just do so in one full swoop? I mean, the beneficial bacteria is in the filter media, so this shouldnt disturb...
  11. A

Activated Carbon

Following the fungus cure, which turned the water green, I did a partial water change and put the activated carbon into the filter after treatment was complete. How long does it take for the carbon to absorb the chemicals and for the water to be clear again...approximately? thanks.
  12. A

Fungus Cure

At the lfs they recommended this product called Fungus Cure. I put it in the tank and it turned the water green. I figured if anything it would be blue - unless Im thinking of super ick or clout. Any of you hear of Fungus Cure? All the fish are swimming around and all of them are...
  13. A

Euthanizing Fish

With the recent tank problems I have been having, Im wondering if this is any humane way of euthanizing a sick fish that isnt going to make it. I medicate and let nature take its course until the fish either gets better or dies on its own, but Im wondering if this is the wrong thing to do...
  14. A

Sick Fish

One of my rainbows looked slightly thinner than normal and I noticed he was darting back and forth. I looked closer and his back half looked a little reddish - like maybe he was bleeding. I removed him from the tank. The other fish look ok are swimming and eating, etc. But looking very...
  15. A

Im done with cardinals!

Well Ive added 3 separate batches of cardinals to my tank. The first and second batch have long since died. The third batch consisted of 18. One died the next day and one died the second day so it wasnt too bad - because I did expect some not to make it. Now its day 3 and this morning I...
  16. A

T4 bulb - 12 watt 6400K

One of my aquariums is very smalla dn I have this T4, 12 watt 6400K lightbulb - I guess about 18 inches in length. The thing is, the light is very white....for this exact size is there something else I could get with more "blue"/actinic lighting...you know, a combo of the white and actinic...
  17. A

Live rock in a freshwater tank?

This may be a stupid question, but can you put live rock in a freshwater tank? Or will it become 'dead' rock? lol Im wondering if the rock would have the same effect and grow all that beneficial bacteria on all that surface area. Also, the rock looks great in a tank with all those holes and...
  18. A

Can Cardinal Tetras be mixed with Rainbowfish?

I ask because even though both species are peaceful, the cardinals prefer SOFT water and I think the rainbow prefer HARD water. The rainbows seem to be doing well and they are eating a lot when I feed them. However, whenever Ihad cardinals, they never seem to survive....does this have to do...
  19. A

Gravel

I have a blackbackground with white gravel...I like it but since my rainbowfish are still juvies and not showing off their intense colors, the white gravel looks, eh. I also hear a darker substrate brings out the colors in all fish. WHat color would you recommend to go with the black...
  20. A

Rainbowfish - how to tell the gender?

I have some rainbowfish in my tank. Not very colorful yet so I asked the peeps at the lfs if they were male and if so, when will the colors intensify. Here is what I was told: 1.) They cant always guarantee when they get these fish, but they are sure a few are most probably male...