Search results

1. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

Hey Sully, the last several months have been challenging. All this time I've been battling what I think are dinos. Herbivors cannot survive in the tank. Everything that eats this algae dies. Snails mainly. I thought I had to whip this algae to progress. So I cut feedings. I replaced the...
  2. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

Time for an update: I lost the stylo. I think I just made it suffer too many parameter fluctuations caused by me being new. But acro crab seems to be thriving! He lives inside the rocks. At feeding time he cautiously sneaks out just far enough to grab himself a good piece of food and darts...
  3. AFrederick

Steves LEDs - Settings Help

I bet only 2 channels actually control your lights - a channel for blues and a channel for whites. You can drag them all to zero and then one at a time try each channel to see which controls the blues, the whites, or nothing at all. 24% is probably a good place to start. These things seem...
  4. AFrederick

Steves LEDs - Settings Help

I have Steve's LEDs in my RSM C-130. Do you have the Typhon controller that Steve's sells? On that controller, channel one is the whites, channel 2 is the blues, and channels 3 and 4 don't control anything. So if you bump up channels 1 and 2 at the same rate, intensity will increase but the...
  5. AFrederick

In mourning

Sorry MNRAM.
  6. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

Things are looking up. The clowns look great. The two brains and the monti are showing good color and new growth. The hammer seems happy but no growth. The stylo, sadly seems on its way out - but it still has some purple flesh and some polyps. I had an acro crab in the stylo and he bailed...
  7. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

I had some issues balancing Ca and Alk a month or so ago, so since about 3/26/16 I have been changing one gallon each day to try and keep the chemistry stable. It's a 34 gallon tank. I use a 6-stage 75 gpd BRS RO/DI system with a built-in TDS meter (tests after RO, after 1st DI, and after 2nd...
  8. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

I am beginning to think the algae in my tank is more than just ugly. I think it might be toxic. I have read dinos are toxic to snails and maybe other things. Now I am thinking several previously unexplained deaths in the tank are from this algae. First, when this algae started covering the...
  9. AFrederick

HELP! Leopard Wrasse

@Coraljunkie : I don't know anything about wrasses but I looked yours up on liveaquaria. It is a very pretty fish! Good luck.
  10. AFrederick

HELP! Leopard Wrasse

@mahtay Get a refractometer to help you keep the salinity in check. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-with-calibration-fluid.html?gclid=CLCnr4WIhMwCFVQ2gQodDoEEEw This one is $40. I have it and it seems to be very accurate. It probably costs less than your wrasses.
  11. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

I think flow is part of the solution too, Oxy. Now, I have a single mp10, along with the stock return for flow. I keep telling myself that should be sufficient for such a small tank, mainly because I am dreading the aesthetic effect of sticking another powerhead to the opposite side of the...
  12. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

Thanks again Oxy! I have learned a lot from your tank thread. I have Steve's LEDs. Right now I have them at 60% on blue and 37% on whites. I will crank them up a little. I will also turn up the mp10 a little. It's at about 60% on reef crest mode at the moment but I will turn it up a bit and...
  13. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

Hey Oxy! Thanks for the info. I saw your post after I submitted mine because I started it last night but didn't finish until just now. I have read a couple of those first few articles you cited and they and the Randy Holmes-Farley one on balancing Ca, Alk, and Mg and were very helplful. I...
  14. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

Hey Sully! Thanks for asking. Things are going all right. Clowns are great. Corals are ranging from very good to struggling. Here are a couple FTSs: Sorry they are so blue. These were taken near the end of the tank's sunset last night. As I mentioned in my post on 3/25, I think...
  15. AFrederick

Giving advice

MNRAM, I kind of know how you feel watching your animals not doing well and not knowing how to help. It is frustrating. I'm having trouble with my corals right now too. One didn't look good and I thought my Ca and Alk were off so I started supplementing. Then my others didn't look good. I...
  16. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

A little bit of tank chemistry trouble to report... On 3/10 I measured Ca at 355 ppm and Alk at 7.7 KH. The stylophora did not seem happy (half of its polyps were partially or completely retracted). While I didn't think KH was too low, the Ca did seem too low. So I ordered Red Sea Calcium...
  17. AFrederick

pump malfunction?

The issue seems to be resolved. I do not know if this solved it but I noticed that after I removed the black sponge from the return chamber, the bursts of bubbles stopped. The sponge was filthy. Maybe bits of junk were coming out of the sponge and getting caught in the pump? Anyhow, I...
  18. AFrederick

pump malfunction?

Thanks Dave, Frisbee, and CMOD. This one has me stumped. The water level is where it has been for months. It is right at the black line where Red Sea says is "optimum" and the ATO is keeping the level steady. The water level is a good foot above the top of the return pump. I turned the...
  19. AFrederick

pump malfunction?

The water level is good. I use a Tunze Osmolator 3155.
  20. AFrederick

pump malfunction?

I have an RSM C130. About every 30 seconds but with no discernable pattern, my return is shooting out bursts of micro-bubbles. The first thing I did to attempt diagnosis was shut off the skimmer. The random bursts of micro-bubbles persisted. What do you think is happening and how do I fix it?