Search results

1. silver97

Silver97's Official tank chronicle

FINAL UPDATE Yes, it is done. I had a thread up in the last month or so seeing if anyone on here wanted my fish, but no one answered. Not a problem though, the LFS took them right away. Definitely a bittersweet weekend. Had all of the fish out yesterday, but still a bunch of nasty algae and...
  2. silver97

Taking down the tank...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Just an update, no one on here has contacted me about anything yet, which is fine, but in case you were on the fence all fish and corals are still available and healthy. Don't be afraid to ask! I still plan on having most of my stuff gone within the next 2-3...
  3. silver97

Taking down the tank...

I have come to the realization that I'm not able to adequately care for my tank anymore. I haven't done maintenance to it in a while and it looks terrible, with cyano basically covering everything. The whole system I have going is inefficient at clearing out contaminants and I have had enough of...
  4. silver97

Long time since last post, need some advice!

I've wanted Blue Hypnea for a while, that stuff is beautiful. Maybe it can crowd out the hair algae in my tank currently. Competition!
  5. silver97

BioCube owners, need some input

PARTICLE BOARD! I couldn't remember the name of it. I've had particle board fall apart on other tables and stuff in my house before so I don't know if I am going to trust it to hold a tank necessarily... I'll look around to see if there is a good solid wood stand I can get cheap somewhere, and...
  6. silver97

BioCube owners, need some input

I am looking at potentially buying a BioCube 32 LED soon and have a question about the stand that comes with it in some bundles. I think Coralife makes the stand themselves? Whatever the case, to me it looks cheap. Like I would find something similar at Ikea and it would work just as well if not...
  7. silver97

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah I'm thinking FOWLR is the way to go for me right now. I know that I definitely need to upgrade my filter system, as I still don't have a skimmer (never had the room for it, even with the sump upgrade) and I think that is a big part of it. Other part is...
  8. silver97

It has been a while since my last post (August i think) and I just need a little advice moving forward right now. My tank has been having some issues as of late, (40g breeder w/10g sump) and its really been stressing me out. Hair algae has taken over, along with bubble algae. Almost all of the...
  9. silver97

Sorry for the long wait on the reply, but I will do that to the return line soon. Thanks for confirming what I thought I had to do! Well the one thing I thought wouldn't happen happened. I got off work late last night and was chilling in my room. It was about 1 AM and I still wasn't very tired...
  10. silver97

Forgot to mention that all of the fish are healthy and active. My sixline wrasse gave me a scare a few weeks ago, I think he got scared when he was sleeping and scraped himself up on the rocks pretty bad. His whole left side was damaged and his fin was shredded. Really though I would have lost...
  11. silver97

I do have a programmable timer on the lights, the problem is the timer that is already built into the light is the thing that switches the lights off or to the night time setting when its not supposed to. So since my last update I have been way busier than expected, but I did complete the sump...
  12. silver97

Suggestions for new LED's

Thanks for the info. The $400 limit I listed was just a hopeful guesstimate. I really could buy the aqua illuminations if I wanted to, and I might just go that route. What I might do now is just wait another month till I get a few more paychecks. Now I know the Hydra 26's, if i got those, I...
  13. silver97

Suggestions for new LED's

So I am at that point where I finally have some more money and have the ability to upgrade to some new LED lighting. Problem is I don't want to spend a fortune and while I have a general idea of what I want, I would appreciate others' thoughts on this since a lot of the users here have more...
  14. silver97

So last time I said I was hoping to start that week on getting everything assembled....hahahaha Like usual, stuff came up and I was packed with loads of last minute school stuff along with a kind of hectic work schedule, leaving me little time to do much with the tank. At least school is over...
  15. silver97

Ok, so everything has come in that I ordered online. I have been adjusting to working again and dealing with school at the same time, so I haven't had any time to really play with all the stuff , but I think I have a general layout ready for the sump body itself. Also I still have to buy the...
  16. silver97

The time has finally come. I bought all of the stuff needed for the sump! (except the piping, but that's coming soon) I am doing the 10 gallon plan that I have mentioned before. I am only going to run chaeto in the refugium, and plan on having a grow bulb on it at all times (unless I see a...
  17. silver97

Quick update on the tank Everything is going mostly well. I've been really busy the last few months and haven't had as much time to keep up with water changes as much as I'd like to. I finally got a new job so I will hopefully have the funds to implement the mini sump I was planning in the near...
  18. silver97

This is the acan, it has 2 polyps right now but will hopefully grow out when I move it. I want it on a rock so it covers more area, not a fan of when people just give it a ceramic disc to grow into a ball shape. I was originally going to upload photos from my phone but the resolution was too...
  19. silver97

Now it has been a long while since my last post and a few things have changed. for the better. As far as my battle with hair algae goes it has had its ups and downs, I'd say this is an area in the middle right now. The majority of the rocks that were treated with the H2O2 have remained clear...
  20. silver97

Been a while since my last post, not much has changed really. I am still refining the plan for the 10 gallon sump. I haven't moved anywhere with it, but it still seems to be my best plan. I am just biding my time until I have an idea of what's going to happen in the next few months. Also have...