Search results

1. J

Reef Tank Tear Down

Is there a good water testing service that will analyze for chemical & bio as well as the standard elements? I work for an arch firm and do a lot of restaurants, I know for some of our clients we have to take water samples at their future sites for analysis but unfortunately those testing...
  2. J

Reef Tank Tear Down

First off let me clarify the fact that I do not know much about anything so please take someone the advice of someone else before mine. With that said, i spent a tremendous amount of time researching sand beds and if I were in your shoes I would absolutely do a sand change. Especially since...
  3. J

Jongalt's 150 Build Thread

And here is the 'final' layout. The main components are glued in but I left the bulkheads unglued to make it easier to move the display. Jason
  4. J

Here are pics of my mechanical filtration set-up. Polyfilter and a sponge will be installed in the discharge pipe with the intent of changing the poly out on a regular basis. I may have to drill an airhole at the top of the 90 degree elbow. I may opt to drill a 1" hole right in the Tee...
  5. J

Here are build pictures. I painted the interior of the base with Rustoleums appliance epoxy (after sanding the existing finish and a coat of primer). The first coat was sprayed on however it has to cure for one week before a second coat can be added. This due to the solvent in the spray can...
  6. J

Here is the prelim layout for the plumbing on the tank. My install differed from this as I found ways to simplify and make the layout cleaner and less cluttered. Im sure someone is going to look at me funny for the mechanical filtration but here is my thinking: I couldnt fit the theiling...
  7. J

Hi all, how are things? I wanted to document my 150 build thread for my records and your reviews. Feel free to make comments and suggestion. Here is a link to my intro should you wish to have a little background. Tank Type: LPS, Softies and SPS Current Livestock (to be transferred)...
  8. J

rDSB question

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I did the water changes because all of the levels were off the charts and would require dilution just to verify the numbers. I'll definitely soak the new dry dead rock, most likely in rodi though, to measure any leeching. Our water here (downingtown...
  9. J

rDSB question

I've been cooking for about a month now with weekly water changes and the levels are off the chart. I have another 2-4 weeks of time left before i need to use it. I'll be using a lot of the rock from from my current tank and I have a box of dry dead rock as well. I dont mind turning it into...
  10. J

rDSB question

The reasons I didnt want to risk discarding the sand was the cost and more importantly the time it took to rinse the sand. It just occurred to me that petco has the sand at $18 a bag compared to twice that at my LFS... Anyways, i think i'll just plumb it in, temporarily at least. thanks! Jason
  11. J

Hi All

Just wanted to drop in and say hi here. I've been lurking for a couple of years and RS has been a tremendous help in the past with a lot of great information. The RS community is definitely better than some other aquarium forums, i just never got around to posting. Anyways, I've been in the...
  12. J

rDSB question

First off, thanks for the video on curing rock with muriatic. I have some pukani thats taking too long to cook so i'm going to acid wash it. In regards to the DSB I have thought of keeping it online on the new tank for awhile and pulling it off but when I do that then the same situation will...
  13. J

rDSB question

Long time lurker first time poster, hows everyone doing? Anyways, i'm in the process of upgrading my reef tank from a 93 gallon cube to a 150 (and will start over with a FOWLR on the 93) I have a remote deep sand bed, less than 1 year old, attached to my current reef tank and it has been an...