Search results

1. N

What is this?

I was wondering if someone could help with this? I have about 25-30 of these on my glass usually when my lights are out or first thing in the morning, what are they? Are they harmful and if I wanted to is there a way to rid them from my tank? A few would be ok however they seem to be...
  2. N

LED Balance

I know it's probably a lot personal preference but at what level do you set your blues vs whites? What should I be looking for as I want to do what's best for the corals and at the same time have the tank be aesthetically pleasing. Thanks, Steve
  3. N

Steve's LEDS-Typhoon Controller Help

I just installed my retrofit kit for my 130D today...whew, what a job! (glad it's done and I made it through it) however i have questions regarding programming the Typhoon. I am looking for someone that can assist me with this? The first questions I have are as follows: 1. Do I program...
  4. N

Firefish Goby-Help!

I just purchased a Firefish Goby for my reef. Within a couple of hours of his acclimation into my tank he was attacked by my female Percula Clownfish and now has lost part of his tail fin and a few nips out of his dorsal fin. My question is will it grow back? If so, how long does it take and is...
  5. N

Need your help!

My Long Tentacle Plate coral has developed this split in its green skin and has not fully opened in weeks. What could be causing this and is there something I can do to save it? Will the skin grow back? Is this a disease, flow, lighting or placement issue? Please let me know what you think...
  6. N

Bulbs

I purchased my 130D in May and set it up on Memorial Day. I have noticed that when my main lights turn on it takes a few minutes before the bulbs seem to be at full intensity. Is this normal with the power compacts? How long should they last before I need to replace them? Thanks, Steve Sent...
  7. N

Cyano Question

As you can see in the picture I am starting to see a cyano outbreak in my tank that is showing up in a few spots on my substrate and a small area on one of my live rock. Is this spotty outbreak caused mostly by dead areas with no flow? I am running chemi pure elite, purigen, phos guard and...
  8. N

Is this hair algae?

I noticed this outbreak this morning in my tank and I'm concerned, if this is hair algae what do I need to do to get rid of it? I am running filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure elite in my media rack and running my main lights 8 hours per day. Please help as I want to get this taken care of...
  9. N

Calcium Levels

About three weeks ago I changed from using IO to Reef Crystals and have now completed two partial WC in my 130D. After my first WC I checked my Ca and it was 400, now one week after my 2nd WC my Ca was at 360. I was thinking that by switching to Reef Crystals I wouldn't need to dose Ca, am I...
  10. N

Food

I came across a frozen product today called Rod's Food. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this and what if any thoughts you might have on the quality and use? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. N

Conflicted

As many others have at times I got some bad advice from my LFS when setting up my tank. I was sold CC for my substrate and now I am regretting this decision. Based on what I have read a Argonite substrate is best. My tank has now been setup for 2 months and is for the most part stable and I'm...
  12. N

Surface Film

I am experiencing a light film on my surface in a 130D. I have the Tunze 9002 and media basket upgrade and also a Hydor flow pump that is aimed across my tank at approx. 1/4 way down from the top of my tank. I have adjusted the return flow many different angles and heights and just can't seem to...
  13. N

Duncan Issues

I have had this Duncan in my tank for the last 2 months with no problems and then 2 days ago I did a 10% WC however changed from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals, now my Duncan has been closed ever since and it's got me worried. All my parameters are in order and I use RO/DI as well so any ideas...
  14. N

Long Tentacle Plate

Thought I would post a picture of my newest addition! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. N

ID if you can??

Anyone have an idea what this is hitchhiking a ride on the back of one of my hermit crabs? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. N

Coral Questions

What is the preferred method to remove corals from their plugs? I have a Candy Cane, Star Polyp and Pagoda Coral I was thinking of removing and attaching to my live rock. Also I came across some Fluval Marine Epoxy, is this the best product to use for attaching the corals to my live rock?
  17. N

Salt Choice

When I first setup my tank 2 months ago the LFS sold me regular IO salt. They said it would be fine for my reef and corals, now that I have progressed further and researched a little bit it seems most reef tanks don't use just the basic salt so my question is, should I change to a better salt...
  18. N

ID Please!

Noticed this on my glass a few mornings ago, any ideas? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. N

Steve's RSM130D

Hello all! I am returning to reefing after a hiatus of 20 years and am very excited to be back! I have a RSM 130D with upgraded Tunze 9002 skimmer w/cup and In-Tank Media Rack. I have also added a 17" blue LED light bar to the inside of the hood and have added an additional timer to simulate...
  20. N

New Setup

Hello all! I am returning to reefing after a hiatus of 20 years and am very excited to be back! I have a RSM 130D with upgraded Tunze 9002 skimmer w/cup and In-Tank Media Rack. I have also added a 17" blue LED light bar to the inside of the hood and have added an additional timer to simulate...