Search results

1. Big Pete

New Pump

Sorry about the misspelt name, that's spell check for you and me not reading it through before pressing post
  2. Big Pete

New Pump

Yes Seagrams, I have just replaced both of mine on my Max 250 I changed them to Sicce, you are correct they are the same footprint, I believe that Sicce manufacture them for Red Sea FYI my tank is now a touch quieter now Cheers Big Pete
  3. Big Pete

New member and new to reefing

Hi Terry I am with Pat on this if you have the Bucks go 650, I have to say I would love either systems but I think the 650 just edges it Welcome to the forum and enjoy MACNA Cheers Big Pete
  4. Big Pete

Current Red Sea Tanks Question

Hi Pat I think you are correct, they seem to be going down the open top reefer look at the moment, I am sure with a bit of research you find what you want. Just as a matter of interest how big where you thinking ? I would love to upgrade but even the mention of this to my wife may bring a...
  5. Big Pete

RS Members Full Tank Shots

Hi guys There you go I hope you enjoy it Thanks Big Pete
  6. Big Pete

HELP! Red Sea Refractometer Calibration

Hi SPR I have the same issue with the Red Sea Refractometer, I leave mine out the box overnight then test with RO water , calibrate as it always needs to be calibrated , I make sure the RO Water is at 25 degrees , after that I first check the tank water then check the newly mixed salt water. I...
  7. Big Pete

My new Max E260

Hi DT, I am also based in Dubai , I am currently running an RSM250 , like you I was told to use tap water but this failed for me, on testing it throughly I realised it was full of phosphate, I now use RO water which I purchase from The Pet Store at DIP. Dave K makes a great point about the LFS...
  8. Big Pete

Maximum Short Term Water Temperature For Reef Tank?

Hi SPR Your corals will eventually bleach if the water temp were to continue in the 30c range, for the few days that it is hot in the UK i think you will be okay. hopefully Dave K will chime in and offer you some expert advice on this, failing that there is loads of information on the internet...
  9. Big Pete

New to forum

Hi Crem Welcome to the forum, good luck with the new tank
  10. Big Pete

WWYD - to sump or not to sump?

Hi Bling Fish i currently run a RSM 250 using the built in sump and it works fine, i also have removed the hood and dont feel that the tank is noisy in day to day situations, you certainly here some noise when i get ready to go to bed at night but again its nothing too drastic. Personally i...
  11. Big Pete

LIFE ON THE REEF

Hi Glenn what a great post, really enjoyed that cheers Big Pete
  12. Big Pete

maintaining alkalinity

Hi Rostervandross i am at the same stage as you with my Alk, i put 1 teaspoon of kalk in to my 5 gallon ATO container as i though, well you need to start somewhere, after about a week i still have the alk swings. i tested yesterday and my Alk was at 7.39 from 8.45, my CA was at 535 from 375...
  13. Big Pete

Hanna vs. Red Sea

Hi JJB103 i think a third test kit will certainly ease your worries over this, i use the Hanna test kit and the Salifert KH kit and i have the same issues, the Salifert reads higher, so when my Hanna tells me i am in the right parameters i know all is well. Both Dave K and Oxy make good points...
  14. Big Pete

Red Sea max 130/130D rimless mod

It has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the tank, when you start to remove it you will understand it a bit better.
  15. Big Pete

Hi Desmond i removed the glass rim the runs across the front of the tank, it was really easy, its attached with black mastic just slip a blade between it and the glass and you are good to go.
  16. Big Pete

Hi Desmond it takes some nuts my friend but its worth it, you tank looks greats well done. cheers Big Pete
  17. Big Pete

I know what you mean, I never mentioned it to my wife, I had several attempts over a few days, I would cut down the side then think no this is stupid. Even when I removed it I expected to get up next Morning and see a floor full of water even although I had researched it for weeks, I done all...
  18. Big Pete

So Jonny McC Your balls are big enough, it looks great, i see you have the same set up as me, you are using a Deltec MC500 skimmer, i also noticed that you have removed the flap from the original hood, it really tidy's up the rear section of the tank. did the top rim come off easy, i found...
  19. Big Pete

HELP! Best All in one tank on the market?

Hi Lochinvar Personally I would start with the Max 250, as a newbie it may be a good idea to cut your teeth on something smaller, get a feel for what salt water is all about and ultimately make the mistakes that all us reefers have made, if after a while you feel yeah this is for me then invest...