Search results

1. Melanie

Lots of New Photos!

Click the pic to see my latest slideshow... (Photos taken today.)
  2. Melanie

North East Coral

I received my first order from North East Coral a few days ago. WOW! Their specimens are beyond compare...healthy, gorgeous, and full. If it's possible, even more beautiful than the photos. The colors are otherworldly. Sometimes shipping in the winter can be a concern, but in this case...
  3. Melanie

Ever Seen This New Nano?

Does anyone have this nanotank? Or know anything about it? I saw it in the LFS and I'm in LOVE. It has a built in skimmer and ATO. It's rimless and has a pendant MH light. Apparently it's new and LFS guy said he saw it at a trade show and had to have it.
  4. Melanie

Surprise!!! Thank you Drew!

A few months ago I started a thread for an RS Community Tank/Friend Frag Project. My good friend ScubaDrew received a shipment with some free zoas. He didn't like the zoas at all so I told him to share them with me for my project. His reply "I'm not sure how I feel about being remembered...
  5. Melanie

Live Rock & Base Rock FS $1 per lb.

**$1 per lb, fully cured live and base rock.** Must go. Houseguests coming and hubby is tired of second tank holding nothing but LR. It 75+ lbs. primarily Fiji, with some Hawaiian waterfall, birdsnest, and Bamboni rock. Has been curing for about 4 months because I was going to help a...
  6. Melanie

!HELP! Fish in the Overflow

My six line wrasse is in my overflow. What do I do now??????
  7. Melanie

Advice Needed - Feeding a Kole Tang

I just purchased a new Kole Tang. My other tank residents are a lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, oscellaris clown, and six line wrasse. I have a good bit of hair algae in the tank. I feed 1/4 of a mysis cube once a day or 1/4 of a cube of cyclops once a day (mix it up). The Kole...
  8. Melanie

It's ALIVE!

I bought a gorgeous colony of purple zoas. I didn't notice the red "tubes" on the rock until they opened and closed! Nothing comes out in the day or night and they look hollow. But they DO open and close periodically. What is it?? (Top right of the photo is the colony on the rock.)...
  9. Melanie

Octopus to control aptaisia?

While browsing ebay today I came across this interesting listing. live coral,1 Octopus briareus. med size.saltwater - (eBay item 220174244258 end time Nov-26-07 07:14:07 PST) Interesting quote from his listing.
  10. Melanie

My First Customer!

My skunk cleaner shrimp finally got his first customer today (besides me...he loves to jump on my hand any time it's in the tank.) "Hey...this guy looks like he could use a good cleaning." "Here, let me get this little spot on your back." "If you would just roll over a...
  11. Melanie

Once...twice...three times a fraggie

OMG! Today was such a super special day. I had the most wonderful surprise this afternoon. I guess I should start at the beginning. My first friend on RS was lcstorc. Lynn (lcstorc) cheered me on when I was successful, comforted me when I had a set back, informed me when I had a question...
  12. Melanie

What Are Tyree Corals?

I've seen many listings for Tyree Corals and wondered if someone can tell me the origin of this name. Maybe you know of a website that explains it?
  13. Melanie

Zoas Make Me Sick

I was doing a water change and tank cleaning this morning. I knocked over my mother colony of zoas and without thinking I grabbed it with my bare hand. I cursed a little and put it back and finished siphoning. About 20 min. later I remembered because my hand started tingling. I thoroughly...
  14. Melanie

Just Pics - New Corals and Ol' Faithfuls

and a bonus of my new lawnmower blenny!!
  15. Melanie

Fraggies are Here Part Deux!

Some of you may be familiar with my RS Friend Frag project. Scott (Dentoid) was first to help me along. Fraggies are Here! Victor (Vdituri) kindly said he wanted to be a part of my project too! So when I got the call from our receptionist on Friday, "Melanie, you have a FRAGILE package up...
  16. Melanie

OT: Anybody Use Flickr for their Tank Shots?

My girlfriend introduced me to Flickr.com when she saw some of my reef tank shots. I love that you can comment on peoples photos and also order all kinds of neat things made of your pictures (like posters, note cards, business cards, magnets, pins, postage stamps, books, the list is...
  17. Melanie

What is THIS?

My blastos never really took off and I barely ever look at them. Over the past few days though I've noticed a bunch of polyps of a different kind overtaking the blasto skeleton. They remind me of xenia but they don't pulse at all. They are almost perfectly maroon and match the skeleton so...
  18. Melanie

Close, Closer, Closest

My yellow fiji leather doesn't often open ALL of his polyps so I took the opportunity to snap these pics. He really is stunning and probably the showpiece of my reef. Notice the change in color as I got closer? It is just the camera and not the coral. Weird.
  19. Melanie

Put the camera down and step away from the tank

In case you aren't sick of my many many photos yet.... Clam? Nope, just my Fiji Leather pretending.... Little Legs... Free feather dusters live forever...purchased ones die. Snails are pretty too! The little frag that could... Some stuff glows in the dark!
  20. Melanie

Fun with Macros!

Just having some fun with my camera again. Thought I'd share... Hope you guys aren't sick of seeing all the same corals every week!