Search results

1. pablomay28

Max 250 Skimmer Options

I tried different mods but never really got it to skimm like I wanted it to. I ended up putting some live rock in the chamber and ran the aquamaxx. It skimmed better and ran cooler than the stock skimmer.
  2. pablomay28

Max 250 Skimmer Options

I know you dont want an hob but look at the one I had on my 250. It worked better than any tunze would. This was before they made the internal model. If you get the ws model just make a stand out of egg crate.
  3. pablomay28

RLSS vs LIFE REEF

For those of you thinking of a new skimmer. So far the RLSS is winning but I will wait till the LIFE REEF starts producing.
  4. pablomay28

Is Red Sea salt really worth it

I made a video a while back comparing some of the most popular salts. I also used reef crystals for a while and dealt with the brown film. The only reason I changed was because of inconsistencies when testing for Alk, Mg, and Ca. On the test I performed Red Sea was closest to what is advertised...
  5. pablomay28

HELP! Almost lost my REFER 450!!!

I did. Baby snails end up getting caught in the gate valve and I have to open it for them to fall through then adjust the valve again. I will have to put some sort of mesh around the intake so that the snails dont get stuck in the valve.
  6. pablomay28

Srkd's RSR 450

No I have not raised it. The valve is the long tube turn it to the right until you get the water level you want. The higher the water level the wetter the skim and the lower the dryer. If you look under the water outlet you will see the wedge pipe
  7. pablomay28

Srkd's RSR 450

hope these pics help
  8. pablomay28

Srkd's RSR 450

I just recently started running mine at full power and opened the valve to produce a dryer skimm
  9. pablomay28

Timmons Reefer 525 Build

In regards to sand stay away from any of the black sands as they contain metals and will scratch your glass as mine did. I have the reefer 450 and the RLSS R6i works perfect. I would reccomend the RLSS R8i or RLSS DB8 they are both dc skimmers with waveline pumps. If you want to save money they...
  10. pablomay28

Bad DI cartridge from Abundant Flow Water

I ordered the RODI reef filter kit $67 about a month ago and now both DI cartridges have failed. TDS after membrane is about 20. TDS after 2 DI cartridges is 80-100. I inspected the cartridges and the resin is loose. I had to order a new DI cartridge from Marine depot since it will get here in a...
  11. pablomay28

HW marinemix

DaveK, That is so true. The reason I did the test was because the inconsistencies in the salt I had been using for years. Any salt will do to be honest either you end up supplementing with additives via dosing or making larger water changes. I personally dose with BRS 2 part to keep my reef...
  12. pablomay28

HW marinemix

I got the white chalk like residue on my pump. I honestly got the salt because it was on sale. In my opinion it is overly priced. I made some videos on youtube testing other salts. Red sea coral pro did best. I might mix in some tropic marine to get the alk a bit lower
  13. pablomay28

HW marinemix

HW Marine = white chalky residue Reef Crystals = brown residue Seachem Reef Salt = film on top of water Red Sea Coral Pro = clear Tropic Marin Pro Reef = clear I got the same special from BRS and got 4 boxes. When done I will go to Red Sea Coral Pro.
  14. pablomay28

An interesting fix for an undersized top off

That is strange. The nano ran perfectly in my 250 and still runs perfectly in my 450
  15. pablomay28

My RODI system is not working correctly

My system uses 1 micron sediment and carbon. Some of the bargain brands are 5 micron sediment and carbon. My water is at about the same TDS as yours and my system pushes it through a 1 micron sediment filter, 1 micron carbon block, 100 gpd membrane, di, another inline di, then uv sterilizer (not...
  16. pablomay28

My RODI system is not working correctly

Make sure your unit is assembled correctly. The water should go into the unit through 1 the sediment filter 2 the carbon block 3 membrane 4 di resin anything after 4 can be optional be it another di resin or carbon block or both. One thing to consider is the micron size of your sediment filter...
  17. pablomay28

My easy cheap mixing/storage area.

I would recommend you start getting your own RODI system. Never trust the LFS their salt will always be low. I have tested a few local ones here in San Diego and they have been low 1.021-1.022. If you have fish only I guess its not that bad. It is better to have control and mix the salt brand...
  18. pablomay28

Will do. The reason for the 2 containers is that I also fill up my top off jug about twice a week. Also when I mix I can adjust the salinity up by adding salt and down by adding rodi water. I like having clean rodi water and extra salt water in case of emergency.
  19. pablomay28

4 Popular Salt Test Results

Here are the videos of the test being done.
  20. pablomay28

Here is a video of my mixing storage area. I got the shelving unit at home depot $80, not pictured WeMo switch (wifi power outlet) $40, mag 18 pump. I run 30' of 3/4 vinyl tube to my tank from the garage for the water changes.