Search results

1. O

ID my worm, please

Found this worm in a filter sock today. It's soft. Color = dull pink. Is it a Bristle Worm ? As you can see in the photo, it's about 0.5 inches when coiled. When uncoiled, it's approximately 1.0 inch long. I've never seen anything like this in my tank. Most recent additions: Conch on...
  2. O

Brittle Star - On The Move

We added a Brittle Star about four months ago. For the first few weeks, it made a home in a specific section of rock and pretty much hid all day. At night, we could see one or more legs sticking out, moving around, etc. At about the 4 week mark, it disappeared. We thought it headed deeper...
  3. O

Red Sea Reef Foundation A, B ?

Thanks Patrick ! I'll begin dosing CA tomorrow. Thanks for the Mg article, I'll be re-reading that a few times for better understanding. I do have Coralline algae in many spots on my rocks, and about 40% of the back glass is covered in it (almost 400 square inches). I do not have any SPS...
  4. O

I'm back with another observation . . . Alk is holding fairly steady for 10 days within a range of 2.94 meq/l (8.2 dKH) to 3.12 meq/l (8.7 dKH). I'm dosing Red Sea Reef Foundation B (Alk) at 10ml, once per day. I'm noticing that Calc is declining (440 to 380 in a week). Mag has also...
  5. O

Patrick, thank you Very Much for the detailed reply. I'll be considering my options carefully as I head down the 'dosing path'. ---Frank
  6. O

Thanks Patrick ! I'll continue along the path I've described above. Any thoughts on the need to shake / stir additives fairly regularly ? I'm concerned that as the bottle sits, the 'good stuff' settles to the bottom and would cause unexpected issues (spikes or drops in levels) with an...
  7. O

Just re-tested this on Saturday January 30th: Tropic Marin Bio Actif Made 19 Gallons, using RO/DI water, mixed at 77 degrees SG = 1.026 / 35 Ca = 450 Alk = 3.02 Mg = 1400
  8. O

So after 19 months, I'm just getting into a little bit of dosing. I'm trying to keep Alk stable. I've been testing, and manually adding a little Red Sea Reef Foundation B to my sump. Started with Alk at 2.0 meq/l (5.6 dKH). Used a daily dose of 35ml for 6 days, and got up to 3.12 meq/l (8.7...
  9. O

Evaporation vs Salinity Stability

Thanks Dave. Following your advice. Salinity is slowly increasing.
  10. O

Evaporation vs Salinity Stability

I'm having an issue with maintaining my Salinity at a stable level. I know that evaporation has increased in the past two weeks. I believe that this is due to using more central heating in the house (winter has finally arrived in NJ). I've got a Tunze ATO in the sump that keeps the water...
  11. O

Crab ID ??

Thanks Oxy ! He's already been moved to my "crab zone" - a special area in my sump where 9 hermits and 1 emerald live. They have it pretty good there with rocks to explore and twice-weekly feedings. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. O

Crab ID ??

Thanks Dave ! To the sump he goes . . .
  13. O

Crab ID ??

I found this little crab (about a 1/4 of an inch) climbing a small Acropora today. It has fuzzy legs. It appeared to be feeding off whatever is on the Acropora, but did not seem to be causing any damage. I think it's a tiny Emerald Crab. There are 3 much larger Emerald Crabs (approx 1 inch)...
  14. O

MACNA

It was such a pleasure meeting fellow RS members. Special thanks to @Oxylebius for coordinating, and frags (doing very well). This was my first MACNA and I was very impressed with the educational aspects of the conference. I hope to make it to San Diego next September. Congrats on that awesome...
  15. O

At MACNA on Friday ?

Anyone at MACNA today, Friday September 4th ??? I'm here today & tomorrow only. Starting out today with the Neptune Apex User's Group Meet at 8am. Hope to meet some fellow RS members ! ---Frank
  16. O

DianaKay's RSM 250

@Oxylebius Is a One Spot Foxface a good algae muncher ? I'm interested in the One Spot because of their smaller adult size. I'm thinking that a Foxface Lo, or Magnificent Foxface might grow a bit too large for my 120Gal (4 foot long) environment. Sorry about the slight hijack, @DianaKay...
  17. O

DianaKay's RSM 250

Diana, You've got an awesome urchin ! We love ours - always finding new things to wear, and appearing in the strangest places. ---Frank
  18. O

My 120 Gallon Project - First Timer !

Thank you, Glenn !
  19. O

Live Video: Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Here's a live look at our newest addition: https://video.nest.com/live/9sdBbr Yellow Eye Kole Tang, in QT since Saturday June 27th. Eating well. Nothing unusual. We'll QT for 4 weeks, then move to our 120G DT. ---Frank
  20. O

My 120 Gallon Project - First Timer !

Update Time: June 28, 2015 - ONE YEAR OLD ! Hard to believe that in just two more days, my tank will be one year old. Yes, still a baby compared to many tanks documented here. But it's a major milestone for me. We've come a long way from what began as a glass box full of salty water, to...