Search results

1. C

Asking for help once again!! PH problems.

So my ph meter has been reading 7.7-7.8 a couple weeks ago. I started dosing with Kent marine dkh/ph super buffer. I got my ph meter up to 7.9 but now my Kh is 13. I did a water change today & tested my water. Results as followed with salifert kits Salinity--1.025 (refractometer)...
  2. C

Interesting find with a flashlight. GOOD or BAD??

So before I went to bed I decided to get the flashlight out & go explore my tank in the dark. Much to my surprise I discovered this crab hanging out in a hole in the rock just under my montipora. Seems to be a little bit bigger than a quarter, looks like it has fuzzy legs that are striped...
  3. C

Apology & cyno question?

Hello all. Wanted to start by apologizing that I don't reply to many conversations because I know there are much more experienced reefers that could give more accurate information than myself. I know it seems that all I do is ask stupid questions from time to time but I read a lot of threads...
  4. C

Purple tang nipping at brain coral...suggestions

Hello all. I have this nice folded brain coral that I usually have to keep covered with a plastic cup because my purple tang likes the way he tastes, I guess. Was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to get him to stop. I use algae strips & marine grazing discs everyday & he eats like a pig...
  5. C

Old tank water after a WC

Hello everyone. Hope uall r ready for the holidays!! :). I was just curious to see what some folks do with their water they take out of their tanks after a WC. I live with a septic tank so for as long as I have been in this hobby, I've always just dumped it out in a field. With winter...
  6. C

Just another bump in the road!!

Hello everyone. Well I finally got the GHA under control in my tank. I can actually see the rock work again!! :) the bad thing is, is that for the last 2 days I've seen signs of a cyno bloom happening on my sand bed. My tank has been up & running now for a little over a year now. Though I've...
  7. C

GHA has me irritated. Don't know what to do. Ughhhh!!!

Well as uall know I have been battling GHA in my tank for quite some time now. It doesn't matter what I do, it just doesn't go away. I've never had this problem b4 & now I'm at the point of exhaustion & don't know what to do... I've installed a GFO/carbon reactor( BRS), I changed over to...
  8. C

Sea hare---safe or not???

Hello. I have been battle GHA in my tank. With doing a bunch of weekly water changes & adding a GFO/carbon reactor, i finnaly got my phosphates down. I was wondering if it would be ok to introduce a sea hare in my tank to let him eat the algea. I have heard they ate great for that but have...
  9. C

Lighting??? Keep my MH or jump ship & go to LED's

Hello again. First off, just wanna say that macna was a great experience. I'm glad I was able to enjoy it in my own backyard, persay!!! :) Ok, down to business. I have had my Hamilton tech light fixture for about 10 years or so now. It has 3-250 watt MH & 2-5' t12vho actinics...
  10. C

Water tanks

Was looking for some information on cleaning an old water container for future use. I have a 100 gal water tank that I used when I moved my aquarium 4 years ago. Well evidently I didn't get it cleaned out & dried out very well before storing it & when I looked at it over the weekend, it smells...
  11. C

Food???

Hello again. There was a discussion on here somewhere about Rods food & Larry's reef food. Lookin at their websites & reading what uall have said, it sounds like they are both good food. My question I guess is that I'm battling GHA in a few spots in my tank, should I wait to get it taken...
  12. C

Chillers???

I have never used a chiller before so I had a few questions & was hoping I could get some advice. What brand of chiller would some of you all recommend? What size would it take to maintain a 220 gal DT with a 40 gal sump ? How hard are they to install? Do they run by a separate pump...
  13. C

Cleaner wrasse... Safe or not?

I've done some research & talked to some lfs's & I get a lot of mixed information about these fish. Some say they r great & others say they do more harm to the fish in aquariums than they do good. I was just wondering what some of the experienced fellow reefers on this site has had with them...
  14. C

CUC's

Has anybody used reef cleaners.org to purchase their stuff. Is it a good company? How is their livestock? I'm looking to add to my CUC & was just curious. Thanks. CD
  15. C

Live rock...

I set my tank up in November 2013, I used my old live rock that was from my previous set up. The rock has been dried out & sitting in my garage for about 3 years. (Now dead/base rock). I cycled the rock in a separate container with a skimmer & pumps running for ammonia purposes before setting...
  16. C

Quarantine tanks.

This is my first quarantine tank & this might be a dumb question? Lol. What is the best & less stressful way to catch the new fish after the quarantine period? Fish net, trap, etc... After the fish is caught then you have to acclimate to the DT before introducing them, right. Thanks. CD
  17. C

Clint's 220 mixed reef

Hello. My name is Clint & kinda new to RS. I have a 220 gal DT with a 50 gal sump, SSS 5000 reef octopus skimmer & 20 gal refugium. Hamilton technology light fixture with 3-250 watt halides & 2 fluorescent blue atinics. Spectra-pure RO-DI unit on float system for evaporation. I'm trying...
  18. C

Lights???

Hello everyone, I was just looking for some helpful advise from some fellow reefers!! It's time fur me to replace the light bulbs in my fixture & was wondering what uall recommended. I am going fir a mixed reef and I have a Hamilton technology fixture with 3-250 watt halides with 2 blue...
  19. C

Tired of empty tank!!! :)

Here I go again. My 220 gal tank has been sitting fallow for over 3 months now after a bad ich outbreak that wiped out my tank. Been running my UV sterilizer 24/7. All my inverts are still doing good. Gonna do a 50 gal water change this weekend & double check all my water parameters &...
  20. C

Will worms die off in a fallow tank?

Hello, I think my female perc clownfish might have worms. I post a pic yesturday of something on the glass I've never seen before ( wondering if it's worms ). My tank is now starting it's fallow stage due to a MI outbreak for atleast. 8-10 weeks. If it was some sort of worm on my glass do I...