Search results

1. Matt spivey

Matt's RSM 130D Reef

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be a fun few weeks from now. Will update soon
  2. Matt spivey

Matt's RSM 130D Reef

Update for anyone here, mandarin is still alive and doing fine. I will be ending my reef chronicle here because my new tank is due to arrive next week!
  3. Matt spivey

How much live rock? Guess!? 4ft 400litre island scape

Hi I want to do 2 Islands in my tank but quite thick ones too or one island and a cove. I haven't got a clue how much rock I need or how much is currently in my 130d. It could be 10-100kg by what I've read! I don't want a huge wall and the 'rule' of whatever kg per litre sounds too much...
  4. Matt spivey

TMC 50gal per day r/o unit, is this slow? (Video)

Oh good! Just wasn't sure what it should look like because today was my first time . I lost my r/o-ginity! Ha it's 190 litres per day so don't know if that 50 gal is uk or us or if that even matters. It's running at 65psi which is ok.
  5. Matt spivey

TMC 50gal per day r/o unit, is this slow? (Video)

https://vimeo.com/102917057
  6. Matt spivey

RockWork

Hi anybody still here? I was gonna post about my new scape idea and how much rock I may need then saw this stickied so thought I'd add it here. I have a 4x2x2 tank and want two seperate island kind of things, two towers I guess. One tall and one slightly smaller. Is there a good way to do...
  7. Matt spivey

Any shark owners here? I need info

No I called my LFS guy and he said they aren't always guaranteed to take 4-6 months to hatch, he had one that hatched after 2 weeks after it came in so I'm waiting till the new tank arrives and cycles. Apparently if you hatch them with small fish in there they are usually okay and feed well...
  8. Matt spivey

TMC v2 pure 50 RO system - assembly confusion

I've added the deionising pod and used some cut off tubing, hope this is right.. I tried to route the Tds meter to go after the deionising pod as you can see with blue tubing. I wanted to measure the Tds post deionisation to let me know when I should replace the DI pod
  9. Matt spivey

TMC v2 pure 50 RO system - assembly confusion

I've got this system here and I don't want to break anything. The instructions aren't too clear, pictures would have helped. I know how to assemble it basically and connect the lines to the right areas but I got the deionising pod with it and there are no connection instructions. There's...
  10. Matt spivey

Stocking my 130 gal reef

Ok I was looking at fresh sand anyway but not "live sand" I want a good cheap aragonite (for buffering capabilities) not sure what grain size to look for but my oolite doesn't blow about too much at the moment. I want a nice bright white sand.
  11. Matt spivey

Stocking my 130 gal reef

Cool thanks for the info, makes sense to me I guess I've got a large skimmer on it too, don't know if that would make a difference. It's a deltec 1450 and if I remember rightly it's big enough for a 6x2x2 tank, whatever water that may hold. Do you think having matured sand and rock would help...
  12. Matt spivey

Stocking my 130 gal reef

Great point on the anthias they really add some life to the display I think. Can't choose between bartlets or lyretails. It's been so long I forgot how to calculate the stocking limit! It's surface area for freshwater isn't it? But with saltwater it's per gallon? I just need a way to pass...
  13. Matt spivey

Stocking my 130 gal reef

Thanks, I checked live aquaria first to see the fish I liked the look of and testimonials. I actually meant my new 130 gallon 4ft long tank. It's due to arrive in about 2 weeks
  14. Matt spivey

Favorite fish

foxface is my fav for the last 6 months I've had him. Such odd personalities, he's the gentle giant in my tank. Good pic here of the fish knowing I'm carrying food! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Matt spivey

Stocking my 130 gal reef

I'm choosing some fish now for after I move a juvenile bamboo shark to the local aquarium. I have a foxface lo (about 3 inch) Ocellaris clown (1.5 inch) Bicolour blenny (2 inch) Green chromis (1 inch) Mandarin dragonet (2inch) These are some fish I like to choose from: Lemon peel angel...
  16. Matt spivey

Anybody use Uk reef controllers?

Hi does anyone in the uk use a reef controller? In the US they have the apex and RKL think we have apex now but I don't know if I need a £550 controller. Anybody have suggestions or use ghl profilux? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Matt spivey

My LFS says they're on his list from TMC most weeks so they're readily available. I'm not sure yet I need to ask him about compatibility first. There are quite a few people on YouTube who have them in 100 gals or just a bit more and housed them with tangs or foxface even some dwarf angels. I...
  18. Matt spivey

To anyone that's still here or cares the sealife emailed me back saying they would be happy to take the juvenile shark off me when the time is right and will help facilitate the move! you don't ask you don't get I guess Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Matt spivey

UK reefers, where do you get your dry sand cheap???

Everyone is telling me to get dry sand because it's cheaper than live but it's exactly the same or sometimes even more expensive. I need 40-60kg for my new 4x2x2 tank I want a 2.5 inch bed. I don't know where to find this cheap sand and if it will actually look nice, I currently have Caribseas...