Search results

1. ziggy

HELP! My 1st SW tank: Some macro shots..

what is the tank dimension?
  2. ziggy

RSM 250 Extra cooling fan(s) mod?

yes, and there's the relative humidity factor as well. With no AC the higher temperature have higher relative humidity which result in much less evaporative cooling with the fans. With AC the humidity is less so the cooling fans produce a greater cooling effect onto the water as a result of...
  3. ziggy

RSM 250 Extra cooling fan(s) mod?

Kev hit the nail on the head. Evaporative cooling fans become inefficient and almost worthless as the ambient room temperature continues to climb. Sounds like you may need to consider re-doing your fans to not draw air in from the hotter source.
  4. ziggy

What did I do wrong?

did ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels all spike up and then drop to 0, to indicate a completed tank cycle. A week is not enough time to start and complete a tank cycle to me.
  5. ziggy

Kev - Pods vs Filter Socks

Hi Kev - Hoping to pull the trigger on the e series 260 very shortly when available in USA... but wonder what your position/recommendation is on maintaining a healthy population of Pods but still having a full, closed loop water filtration system? I'm assuming any mechanical filtration "road...
  6. ziggy

Two Methodoligies to keep a Reef Tank

Happy Birthday Paul. What's your opinion on perhaps not quarantining nor adding fish directly, but doing a 5 minute fresh water dip to release parasites? Obviously it does not address bacterial issues.
  7. ziggy

Filtering - Ceramic vs Live rock

luckily the side effect of the ceramics, when capturing debris, is mostly higher nitrates.... so if you get higher nitrates, you do a bigger % water change and your tank is back to normal, no harm done. so enjoy it. The only thing you MUST do, is do things slowly!!!! doing slowly lets you...
  8. ziggy

Filtering - Ceramic vs Live rock

Sounds like you kind of want to use the ceramics. So use the ceramics. Because red sea includes them should be an indication that using them is allowed. If you find your habbits are overfeeding fish, and not keeping an immaculate DT, then nitrates may shoot up and then you can remove the...
  9. ziggy

Aqua Euro USA Max Chill 1/10 HP

.....also I should have mentioned...... with a reef it's not the value of the tank temperature that is very important as much as it's the variation in the tank temperature that is very important. A swing of 4 to 5 degrees repeatedly is a much bigger concern for me. Ideally your reef wants...
  10. ziggy

Aqua Euro USA Max Chill 1/10 HP

I think 1/10 may be too small. Also if a small unit is installed, and it runs all the time, it will not last as long. I get a sense most C250 reefers typically get 1/4.
  11. ziggy

Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

Although ammonia crystals are fine to start, they stop delivering ammonia on a regular basis and once stopped, the bacteria that transforms ammonia to nitrites starts reducing their colony size as the bacteria starve and die off. I would start with the crystals, but after a few days add a...
  12. ziggy

First SW Tank

I would put the wavemaker on a side window, pointed to the opposite side diagonal.
  13. ziggy

Red sea max C250 heating issues

what is the temp in the room? any sun or heating vent blowing on the DT?
  14. ziggy

First SW Tank

Welcome. First when starting off with city water, add a de-clorinator to the water before you put the live rock in. do not put the rock in till your water parameters are correct. As far as the anemone... I would not add one until you have a mature tank of about a year old. Keep us posted!
  15. ziggy

CRASH!!!!

I knew it had to be Nigerian spam when I saw the headline/Titlle..... Anyone who adds mud from the beach into his tank regularly, and has such a gorgeous tank.... couldn't crash it if he tried!! Glad your OK Paul!
  16. ziggy

Joe's New RSM S400

I am a firm believer cyano will grow if nitrate amounts are low. There is no problem in keeping nitrates measurable, and they should be kept to ~ 5. Measurable nitrates are the food for the beneficial bacteria colonies associated with LR and sand. minimizing nitrates, and trying hard to...
  17. ziggy

Monique's RSM 130d

great looking tank. I am a believer that Nitrates need to be kept around 5 and that it's not a good thing trying to get them removed. I believe if nitrates are very low cyano takes over. Also, the beneficial bacteria needs to be fed, and nitrates feed those colonies and the colony size will...
  18. ziggy

Just ordered the Max S 650 - the journey begins

are the 10 snails and few shrimp the only CUC you used? Did you dip the corals before putting them in?
  19. ziggy

Does size matter?

Perhaps another way to look at an example of diminishing returns might be using a sponge filter as an example. If you use a 2 inch tall sponge filter (length will always remain the same in this example) and lets say it captures 5 cubic centimeters of dirt. Increasing the size to 4 inches tall...