Search results

1. framerguy

Nikon D40

As long as you can still get the card for that camera it should be fine. Nikon is the best IMO. I use the D70 and love it. I have a nikon 60mm 2.8 lens and it takes fabulous photos. Get good glass. If you go with an aftermarket lens go with Tamron, otherwise get a Nikon lens and get one as fast...
  2. framerguy

In Need of Guidance and Knowledge with MH Lighting

I use the Icecap ballast and have had no issues at all with it. It works flawlessly.
  3. framerguy

Tanks look good pretty today

Beautiful corals! You are definitely doing sumpin' right!!
  4. framerguy

My new sump/fuge combo, comments welcome

Sump looks much better. Far more effective I think. I like your aquascaping a lot.
  5. framerguy

Hello from Land o Lakes!

Welcome to RS!!
  6. framerguy

Cyanobacteria Treatment

Way to go! Stay the course....steady as she goes.
  7. framerguy

Metal Halide Light Brands

Buy from a reputable site. They will most likely carry quality products. I have XM at the moment and like them. Look at this page...all these brands are good IMO... Metal Halide Lamps - Single Ended - 250 Watt
  8. framerguy

Periwinkle Snails

Mine climbed out and died on top of my tank also. IDK, leave them in the ocean I think.
  9. framerguy

Coming Soon, Billyr98's 90g tank!! He's BACK!!!

Way to go Billy! I am glad you started back.
  10. framerguy

can i keep a clam with this lighting?

I don't think that is enough but someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Clams need lots of intense light and I know it can be done with T5's but I don't think you have enough of them. If you had six bulbs I would say yes for sure. With four...it's iffy.
  11. framerguy

need help picking out t5 lights

I agree, go with reputable light bulbs. I have gone the ebay way and was completely dissatisfied.
  12. framerguy

questions on water quality

A Turboflotor is a good skimmer at a very affordable price. Unless they changed the design it can be used either in sump or hang on. I used one and was very pleased with it. (I got a much larger tank and had to upgrade) Aqua Medic Turboflotor T1000 Protein Skimmer
  13. framerguy

No brown jelly, but Frogspawn is disappearing

It's hard to say for sure. They need lots of light so move it higher may help. They like flow, but not to much flow. Situate it so it is waving, but not being blown to bits. I don't have my links to iodine dipping on this computer so maybe someone else will help there.
  14. framerguy

can this be done (make your own T5 light fixture)

It looks like you have all the parts. Ballast, endcaps, wires, a fan and a canopy to hold it all. I would ditch the LED's. unless you just like to look at the tank at night. The fish don't need it. There really isn't anything to building the light system. I bought mine from Premium Aquatics |...
  15. framerguy

Varga's 94 Gallon Cube

Man, those pics are so cool. They hardly look real
  16. framerguy

questions on water quality

barring getting a good skimmer (which I highly recommend) then the next best option is the bucket filter. IME...and I have tried the bucket...there is NO substitute for a quality skimmer and I will never be without one again. Using carbon 24/7 is a good idea at all times. It's a simple thing...
  17. framerguy

Cyanobacteria Treatment

Turn your lights off for three days. Cover the tank so that no stray light gets in. The corals will be fine and so will the fish. The cyano will be gone and the battle will be easier to win. It WILL come back unless the cause is found, but you will have a handle on it. PO4 is usually the cause...
  18. framerguy

think i have a mantis...:(

I have one living in my tank. No problems so far. What problem do you foresee other than losing an occasional snail? Find it and put food out for it and enjoy the diversity of life in your tank. I doubt it will do much damage if you keep it fat and happy. They are slaves to their stomach. Keep...
  19. framerguy

What should I do about this red algae???

use a small diameter hose and suck out what you can from the rock. Leave the coral in there but get the cyano off of it. It siphons off easily. You may have to do this often until the problem is fixed.
  20. framerguy

Ice Cap ballast question

I don't know. Check out their website and contact them for a definite answer. Home