Search results

1. R

Tangs and Disease

If you look at how we talk about fish on here..................All fish would be in the aquarium. Unless it is just me that never relates things to the fish actually being in the sea. That is why I can take the point that all fish (in aquarium would have ich to some degree. Exporters admit...
  2. R

Tangs and Disease

Not too sure about Foxface being resilient to Ich. The last outbreak I had, the Foxface was one of the fish that kept swimming with its face virtually in the power head so that it was getting a strong flow through its gills.
  3. R

MY 140L piece of paradise

Don't know which fish he is talking about but I bet it is the puffer that I spyed in the tank.
  4. R

Clearing Marine Ich from Empty DT Prior to Restocking

That is just one of the papers. There are others out there and I did come across one before which did cover the subject of an increase in tank temperature to kill the parasite and it was found to be a myth. That was an obvious safe increase for the fish. If you whacked it up to boiling point...
  5. R

There is something I need to say now ...

It is the same with all forums covering the various hobby lists. You get 99% that are frequented by people you would throat punch if they spoke to you like that in person and 1% that are worth joining. This is in the 1%. You couldn't really get at anyone at this hobby unless they had a...
  6. R

MY 140L piece of paradise

Another nice tank out of Oz.
  7. R

Going Rimless....

Rock work looks really nice. That goes for both tanks, actually. The red gorgonians a nice. I had one of those until I moved it and carelessly snapped the stem. Egg crate on the bottom is another debate split into two groups, the same as putting sand or rock in first. The theory with...
  8. R

UV sterilizer in reef tank?

I run one tank with UV and one tank without: Water clarity..........both tanks are just as clear. Algae control, bearing in mind both tanks have readings for the main 4 you would test for........I get a couple of very small patches of GHA now and again in the tank without the UV and none in...
  9. R

Toadstool question

Mine are near the top under AI Hydras and with a good flow (each one is close to an MP40) always extended apart from after dark.
  10. R

Clearing Marine Ich from Empty DT Prior to Restocking

This is one interesting piece on the subject amongst a wealth of educated writings on the subject which are available on the net if you google enough for them. It covers a couple of the points you are asking about. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164
  11. R

New year Tank related resolutions.

Start doing reef chronicles and starting very shortly so I begin with how the tanks are now and document the ongoing progress. Get rid of my Kole Tang from one tank and Naso Tang from the other. Alter rock work in both tanks. Get rid of some corals in preference of new ones of a different...
  12. R

Tangs and Disease

Exactly why I like the ich topics. I read the links as well as many other articles and also research papers about ich, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate effects on fish when I had an outbreak. In fact the threads by Leebca were the first port of call and read over and over again before branching...
  13. R

Cupramine in DT...

Hang on the back will be fine if it is rated for that sized tank. You are right about a filter without carbon.......you don't run carbon when treating with copper. Research into ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will be surprised at what sort of high levels the fish will cope with. Also...
  14. R

Tangs and Disease

That is the massive debate and what makes the topic so interesting though. Especially if you start looking into various research papers on the subject and then delve deeply into the other information which is relevant to treating with copper. Studies on how amonia, nitrite and nitrates affect...
  15. R

Put a bottle in your tank

When I used to go diving in the Maldives you would have to do a test dive first. Normally down to 5M and do some tests, mask off mask on etc etc. Then you would carry on with the rest of the dive. One island I stayed on the test dive was done away from the reef wall. Off the jetty to a buoy...
  16. R

Cupramine in DT...

I can see how the two UV might be an advantage over the single unit. What one misses the other picks up on would probably be the theory on it. In hindsight I wish I had spoken in length with him about it. He had only popped into the shop as he is now retired. The turbulent flow I can...
  17. R

Tangs and Disease

I wouldn't agree with that sentiment especially as the LFS in question was owned by one of the UKs most respected reef keepers and is now run by his son in law who has 40 years under his belt in the shop. Stress spots are also viewed viable by one of the other staff with over 40 years of working...
  18. R

Cupramine in DT...

This may work for you, although I was a bit sceptical about the treatment. The only reason why I deem it to not be a wind up is because it came from one of the UK's leading (all be it retired) reef keepers. He was at the forefront of reef keeping right from the early days and has influenced...
  19. R

Tangs and Disease

They are only ich machines if they have got it! It is prudent in some peoples eyes to treat any new tang with copper whilst in QT. One of my LFS had an Achilles in their reef display tank. It used to come out in white spots on virtually every water change, they would freshwater dip it and...