Search results

1. DrHank

"Dead" live rock.

Dead live rock is often referred to as base rock. Yes, you can buy it add live rock to it to seed it. I would recommend that you look for at least 25lbs of live rock. This is one area where more is better. As far as sand goes, it depends on how deep a sand bed you want. I'd start with 60lbs or...
  2. DrHank

Can you run a reef tank with a canister filter

Your primary biological filter is your live rock and fortunately you have plenty to do the job. The canister filter adds some mechanical filtration but at the expense of producing nitrate. Since you had a wet/dry at one time (as long as you still have it) you have a sump. My recommendation...
  3. DrHank

Hogfish for sale!

Nice looking but I think you will find that it's a Porkfish, not a hogfish! Porkfish
  4. DrHank

New to the game

:welcomera I would recommend that you gradually add live rock to bring your total up to 1 1/2 to 2lbs per gallon. Keep an eye on your parameters. I agree that your tank is undoubtedly still cycling. Try to make sure that the live rock you add is already cured of you'll wind up with a mini...
  5. DrHank

test kits

For your basic tests API or Red Sea work for me. I use Salifert for Ca, Mg & PO4. Stay away from test strips.
  6. DrHank

Torch coral disappearing please help

I'm really sorry to hear of your problem. I don't know if it will be of any help but I wonder how the lighting on your larger tank compares to the smaller tank? I've had several of my corals prefer one type to another. You might want to consider temporarily running either carbon or a poly bio...
  7. DrHank

Green vine that has fern-like leaves

Sounds like it to me too.
  8. DrHank

Id This Coral Please!!

I stand corrected. I wish my white bubble was a wall hammer. The skeleton on mine is nearly identical. Good luck with it. It really looks nice.
  9. DrHank

Anemone sucked up into k3. what do i do

Sorry to hear your situation. Sounds like your anem is a goner. If the foot was injured death is almost certain. I'd recommend removing and disposing of all the pieces you can. You may get a surge in ammonia. I'd also recommend a large water change. Good luck.
  10. DrHank

Bad Chemistry

When you make the water, test the water, etc., you are in complete control. Also, if you need 30gallons of saltwater on a Sunday morning where will you get it? I think that if you enjoy and stay with the hobby, you will want to. The key to a successful tank is water chemistry and stability...
  11. DrHank

skimmer trouble

Seaclone's are notorious for this. You will most likely have to reduce the air going into the reaction chamber in order to reduce this problem. Seriously, you may wish to consider a different skimmer. Research completely before you change. I've had one Seaclone in the past and would never repeat...
  12. DrHank

Bad Chemistry

My first question would be what is the salinity of the water? What test kits are you using and are the reagents old or expired? Your pH should be around 8.2 give or take .1 and your salinity 1.023 - 1.025. Any measure of ammonia or nitrite indicates that your tank is still in the process of...
  13. DrHank

Please Help! -- Something has to be wrong!

If you can add more light, you may find it beneficial. Frogspawn loves light. You might find that 4-55W T5's will help quite a bit. The photo's aren't quite clear enough to really tell about the black spots. Hopefully someone with more clownfish experience will chime in. If not, I'd PM...
  14. DrHank

Id This Coral Please!!

I think it's more like a green bubble coral nearly fully retracted. I have a white that looks very much like it. Left alone with excellent light it should do well. A very slow grower.
  15. DrHank

Diamond Goby

The reason that they recommend a larger tank is because the fish can grow quite large. You also need to be aware that they are notorious jumpers. You'll need to cover the top of your tank with egg crate (plastic lighting diffuser) or 1/4" mesh netting to keep the critter in. If you don't, you...
  16. DrHank

Feeding while away from home

Your tank should be fine without feeding for 3 days. You may come home and find that it looks even better than when you left. I've left my tank for a week without any losses.
  17. DrHank

Soooooo frustrated!

Time and water changes are the key. I wouldn't add anything else right now. Let things balance out for the next few months and then proceed slowly. I find that the less I do (except for periodic water changes) the better my tank gets. There is no need to rush, your tank is forever (if you choose).
  18. DrHank

purple long tentacle

Don't panic! Anem's will do this to expel waste products. As long as it doesn't look like it's falling apart or turning to jelly, it should be fine. They will sometimes remain in a deflated condition for a day but seem to always bounce back. As long as your tank is well established and stable...
  19. DrHank

power consumption t5 vs MH

Have to agree with DaveK. LED's are very nice but too expensive right now. Hopefully the cost will come down in the years to come.