Search results

1. J

Sockless

Well I took the plunge and tossed the sock. I have been running with a filter sock for the last couple years but after reading of so many folks running without it I decided to give it a try. I am all in favor of less work...... First observations after a day... I see more particulate mater...
  2. J

Old School Tanks late 80s

I also had a 29G tank in the early 80s with crushed coral, fluorescant light bulb (marine), large powerful hob filter, with an undergravel filter. I had great success and kept all kinds of fish. Hineocus Butterfly, longnose butterfly, angel, clowns, damsel, and others. We even had an anenome. We...
  3. J

Large Reef Upgrade Decision Making!, Please assist

Tank style is personal preference. But for that size range I would buy a standard 75G reef ready tank. There are many of these around new or used. Many times you can find a great deal on a fairly new tank that someone is upgrading to a larger tank. I like the 75G since it is a good size, not too...
  4. J

MACNA XXII ~ 2010 - Orlando!

Well... count me in. It would be good if we could all meet for a lunch /cocktail or something like that... It is always good to put a face with the name. And thanks for the complement on ORCA.... this club really is an awesome group of enthusiasts. Folks have been engaged for a long time...
  5. J

sump help asap

Great article on flow rates tests... I have not seen that one.
  6. J

MACNA XXII ~ 2010 - Orlando!

Great to see so many folks coming into town. This will be an awesome event! Our local reef club ORCA is the sponsoring club for the event. I plan to be there for most of the event and will be staying at the World Marriott resort. I would love to meet up with everyone. Is there a summary...
  7. J

Sump flow and return pump

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning the same way. Currently I am working to minimize the massive micro bubbles I am seeing with the new pump/sump combo. I am using a sponge material to break the waterfall effect into the last chamber.
  8. J

reef safe foam pad

I also have been looking for something similar. This last week I saw a product that looked good but have not yet tried. It is in home depot in the pumbing section and is called a shower stall liner. It is made of a flexible PVC type product and feels like rubber. It is fairly thin 1/16" but...
  9. J

Sump flow and return pump

I have just upgraded to a 120g three days ago. I am going through allot of new tank setup questions that I learned awhile ago and now re-learning. My new tank has a larger sump and a larger return pump. I have an external Blue Line 40X which cranks out 1270gph. This pump seems way loud...
  10. J

Upgrading to a 120

I just went through this same move this week. 75g to 120g. I reused my sand and added 55 lbs of new sand. I placed the new sand on the bottom and the old sand on top. I would suggest planning your plumbing as much ahead of time as possible. Even pressure test outside if you can. Also have your...
  11. J

Glass Cleaning

Thanks. I do have muratic acid for my pool and use frequently in there so I am familiar with the power of the vapor. I will try again with vinegar a couple more times first since the tank is in the house now and is not the lightest thing to move around. But if not, back outside it will go for...
  12. J

Glass Cleaning

Will the muratic damage the silicon seals?
  13. J

Glass Cleaning

I just bought a new used 120G that was setup for 5 yrs. Prev owner was running SPS with CA reactor so there was allot of dead coraline to cleanup off the overflow etc. I cleanned the glass with a single edge razor blade but noticed after it was dry that the ends still do not look perfectly...
  14. J

I'm getting jealous of pics with beautiful white substrate...How is this done??

I would second the nassarius snails and also a conch. My sand frequently had brown detritus. After adding four nassarius snails it helped alot. They stay completely under the sand and stir it up continuously. When I feed the tank, they come out to get the scraps. However, the biggest...
  15. J

Houdini in the overflow...

Saved his life..... Pulled the overflow tube (glad I did not glue it)..... he did not go down the hole to the sump, but I reached in and scooped him out. He actually looked fatter to me.... I am sure he enjoyed pigging out on all the ampods in the overflow.... Thanks for the responses....
  16. J

So far no jumping back. I did try to stick my hand in to get him off the bottom and scoop him out.... errrrr... no luck. He wraps himself in the tight spot behind the pipe. Maybe tomorrow I will buy a small net and try that and also pull the overflow pipe.
  17. J

Well Houdini (solarensis wrasse) found his way into the mesh covered overflow box. I can't seem to get him out..... Has anyone had any luck with them just jumping back out? I removed the mesh and hope he gets the idea. Other thoughts welcome...
  18. J

Montipora Orange Cap -- Stressed? Dying?

Update: Interesting to note that any piece that was connected to the section that was dieing, it kept spreading until it consumed it all. Any of the good looking pieces that I broke off and moved, all lived fine. Thanks everyone for the replies.
  19. J

Help! Is my Scolymia dying???

Looks good except the one area, maybe injured or stressed from shipping. I would watch your tank inhabitants. I found my tang and wrasse picking at mine, especially when some of the skeleton started showing. If anyone (fish or shrimp) is picking at it, suggest putting a plastic covering on it...
  20. J

Montipora Orange Cap -- Stressed? Dying?

The deed is done.... wow there is some white rock under there. I was able to pull off the whole top section on one colony but the other one broke up into much smaller pieces. Threw out about a few pounds of bleached coral. There still are some white bleached sections that are fused to some of...