Search results

1. rebekwl

Equipment for sale in northern Virginia

75 Gallon Sump With 4 real glass baffles and an area for fuge- $85 http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/rebekwl/sump002.jpg ASM G2 Skimmer w/ sedra 3500- $150 http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/rebekwl/tank001.jpg Mag 24 return pump ( this may have 48 hours of use on it) -$90...
  2. rebekwl

Dogface Pufferfish

My husband and I are in the process of setting up a FOWLR, so I bought him a Dogface Pufferfish for V-day because he's wanted one for a LOOONG time. He's currently in our QT waiting for the FOWLR to get done. I am wondering what exaclty to feed him. I know they will eat snails, mussels, and...
  3. rebekwl

Tomini Tang nipping at corals??

We brought home a gorgeous Tomini Tang on Sunday. He's finally getting comfy, but has been caught nipping at our Green Bubble coral and our Candy Cane. I've never heard of a coral eating Tang before, and of course everything I look up says he's reef safe. Is he just picking stuff off of them...
  4. rebekwl

OT: Skimmer Swimming???

Ok, I couldn't get the pics any bigger, so I hope you all can see them... Suddenly the shoreline north of Sydney were transformed into the Cappuccino Coast. Foam swallowed an entire beach and half the nearby buildings, including the local lifeguards' centre, in a freak display of nature at...
  5. rebekwl

Mildew and casualties :(

Well we got back from our 1 week trip to VA today. We were sad to leave, but SO ready to come home at the same time. A friend of ours came by to check on the tank on Saturday, and it had overflowed. The suction cup holding the floatswitch came detatched from the wall, and un-needed water...
  6. rebekwl

Float Switch Issues...HELP!!!

My husband and I bought a float switch from a local reefer. It didn't come with any instructions, and my husband looked it up on the internet, but he cannot get it to work. Here are some pics of the pieces it came with. We are going out of town on Tuesday and should have had this thing hooked...
  7. rebekwl

2 new fish, but 1 had ich!

I went out to the LFS and bought 2 new fish Saturday. I got a tiny Scopas Tang and a Pink Skunk Clown. I examined both thoroughly before purchasing them, but noticed 1 little spot on the Skunk Clowns tail after she was in the tank. Now the Tang, Clarkii, and Fiji Devil all have ich. :(I'm...
  8. rebekwl

Green BTA acting strangely???

My husband and I bought a GBTA last weekend. We brought it home and thought it was splitting, but after looking closer, realized that it's mouth was gaping open, not good!! It settled right in adn I decided to feed it after a couple of days. It's mouth had been alot tighter since then, so...
  9. rebekwl

Auto top off

My husband and I are going out o town from 11/20-11/27, to visit our family in VA. We have not yet set up an auto top off, but we need to get it done FAST so we can have it running for a bit before we leave to ensure that it is working properly. It's really scary leaving because we really...
  10. rebekwl

Carnivorous Snail?

My husband brought this snail home a couple of months ago, and I have recently noticed that everytime I see it, it is eating another snail. I have NO clue what type of snail it is and I rarely see it, except for when it's feeding on one of my Astreas. It has a really weird shell, pointy all...
  11. rebekwl

What on earth is this thing????

This weird squiggly thing is on one of our new mushrooms, and I'm not sure if it's ok to go into the tank. Anyone have any clue as to what it is and if it's safe?
  12. rebekwl

Dive into my 90!!

I never got around to starting a chronicle on my 55 gallon, so I figure I should go ahead and start one now for my new 90 gallon. Bluespotjawfish let us borrow a ton of containers and even tested our water for us. (Thanks Lorraine) Our perameters were WAY off so Lorraine helped us get them...
  13. rebekwl

Upgrade Time!!

On our quest to save money (haha) my husband and I came across a 90 gal tank w/ oak stand and hood on Craig's List for $250. We weren't looking to spend that much, but after extensive research that was the best deal we could find. And the stand isn't made of pressre board, that's a plus!! So...
  14. rebekwl

What to do with new tank!?!?!

Searching Craig's List yesterday, my husband came across an awesome 6 sided (sorry, can't remember what it's called) 55 gal aquarium. It's 20" tall and 36" long, the ends go into a triangle shape. I know pics would explain what I am trying to say, I will have them later this evening, or...
  15. rebekwl

Dead Heads??

I have a Branching Hammer that had a few dead heads on it when I got it. It's doing GREATm but the dead heads are an eye sore. How do I go about removing them? I'm not sure what kind of "tools" I should use. Is there any chance any life could come back or should I go ahead and cut them off...
  16. rebekwl

Flower Pot Coral surprise!

Ok, so I know from my extensive use of the RS forum that Flower Pot corals are very difficult to keep, and only expert reefers should attempt to keep the healthiest of specimens. My husband snuck off to the LFS by himself the other day, guess what he brought home? A FLOWER POT CORAL...
  17. rebekwl

Salt Creep

So I was thinking about how salt doesn't evaporate out of our tanks and was wondering if having alot of salt creep could lower the salinity in our tanks over time? I know I get alot, and am constantly cleaning it up. I have heard that rubbing baby oil on surfaces that salt usually collects on...
  18. rebekwl

What type of anemone is this?

I've had this little guy in my tank for a little bit and was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of anemone it is. It's about the size of a penny when fully open and I think it's really pretty. I'm hoping it will thrive in my tank, as long as it's not bad in some way. Thanks...
  19. rebekwl

Sad Sunday

I noticed yesterday that my Sea Hare had been in the same spot for over 24 hours. I gave it a bit longer and then noticed that it looked lighter in color and smaller than before. So I poked at him a bit and then moved him to see if he was alive. He was a lazy Sea Hare anyways so I thought...
  20. rebekwl

Aquascaping

Does anyone have any expert aquascaping advice? I have a 55 gal with a reg footprint. I have so much rock in there that it touches the back glass as well as the glass on the sides, and it looks so crowded to me! I want to somehow scape it and make it look more open without removing an of the...