Search results

1. Gyr

T5 light spread (long-axis) question

I have recently upgraded to a 125 gallon tank. It is 72 inches long. I have been thinking about switching to T5 set up, and I like the ATI fixtures, but they don't come in a 72 inch fixture. If I center their 60 inch fixture over my tank, would the light spread out enough to cover the 6 extra...
  2. Gyr

WTB Lumenarc mini III reflectors

I am looking to buy three Luminarc mini III reflectors (and CoralVue ballasts) for my new tank. PM me if you are looking to unload one. Kurt
  3. Gyr

Is my RBTA sick, or just lonely?

I have had an RBTA for about 11 months now. It has been steadily growing and was about 10-12 inches across when fully expanded. About 5 days ago it only expanded to half it's normal size and since then, it spends most of the day only slightly open. Here is a photo of the tank about 6 weeks...
  4. Gyr

Can you ID this Acropora?

I recently bought this acro from one of my LFS's, but they didn't know what it was called. I've browsed a few internet retailer sites and am wondering if it is an ORA Verde acropora. In the short time it has been in my tank the green coloration has gotten more prominant. Thanks in...
  5. Gyr

Gyr's 125 gallon upgrade

I'm excited to be starting a new tank. A little nervous, too. I am not an expert reef keeper, by any means, but my current 55 gal has some limitations and I feel it is time to try a bigger tank. My main concerns with my current tank are that it is acrylic (its scratchability is driving me...
  6. Gyr

Do you add trace mineral supplements?

Just wondering... I bought a bottle of Kent Marine Essential Elements quite a while ago, used it for a short while, then stopped. I have been using IO's Reef Crystals salt mix and do 10 % water changes every 7-10 days, and all my livestock (SPS, LPS, BTA, Clam, fish) are healthy and growing...
  7. Gyr

Coral War, can my digi take it?

The rock I epoxied my green M. digitata to several months ago had a few green button polyps on it. The button polyps have since spread over the whole rock and are touching the base of the digi. The digi's polyps have died where the button polyps brush against it. I kind of like the look of...
  8. Gyr

Should I 'tip' my Slimer?

I would like some advice on what can be done to stimulate growth of my Bali Green Slimer. Should I move it (again)? No matter where I put it, it doesn't seem to want to grow. I got it with a few other acropora last August. It was quite pale and had no apparant actively growing terminal...
  9. Gyr

First time Fragging (SPS) Angst

I am hoping to get advice about fragging a Montipora Capricornus. I have never (intentionally) fragged any of my SPS corals, but I want to frag my green M.cap. I epoxied it too high on my rock work when it was a wee frag, and now it is casting too much shade. Since I can't remove it from the...
  10. Gyr

Lighting for Surf & Turf (acropora loisettae)?

I just picked up a beautiful Surf and Turf frag from my LFS. It is mostly green with light blue tips. I really like the dark green teal color and I am wondering if anyone has advice for best lighting placement to keep the green color. I put a recently aquired ORA Blue Iris frag (it, too had...
  11. Gyr

Please help save Bird's Nest

I had to drain my tank 5 days ago and the corals were high and dry for about 25-30 minutes (lights were off throughout). The Fox coral, acropora, stylophora, pavona and montipora species all handled the dry spell well. The Bird's Nest, however has developed several bare patches on it where the...
  12. Gyr

Help, DIY overflow not draining well.

Help! My DIY overflow sucks. Wanting to add a sump to my 55 gal acrylic tank, I tried to convert the wet-dry filter chambers built into the back of my tank into an overflow chamber. Being afraid to drill a hole in the bottom, I drilled and installed a 1 inch bulkhead about 4 inches down from...
  13. Gyr

Is this Pavona?

Saw this coral in my LFS, thought it was cool. Guy there told me its a Pavona, which I've heard are pretty hardy, so I brought it home. That was about 2 months ago, and it's doing well, but it doesn't really look like any pavona I can find pictures of. I haven't stumbled across any other...
  14. Gyr

Reef Compatable Fish

Hiho, I tried a quick forum search for a list of reef-compatable fish, but couldn't find one. I must not have put in the right combo of key search words, as I suspect there must be at least one such list on this forum. Could someone point me in the right direction/provide a link. If there is...
  15. Gyr

shy BTA

I’m a dope. Three weeks ago I was agonizing about getting an anemone, afraid it would wander around the tank too much, stinging corals. Now I want to know if there is a safe way to get one to move. I added a beautiful little rose BTA (about 2 1/2 inches across) to my tank a couple of...
  16. Gyr

Should I 'feed' SPS in a mature live rock tank?

I am slowly adding SPS corals to my 55 gal reef tank, which has been mostly a live rock (about 70 lbs) only tank for a few years. The tank is loaded with mysis shrimp and has a healthy number of bristle worms in it, too. I would assume the shrimp reproduce by eggs/larvae and I am wondering if...
  17. Gyr

Drop In Chillers

I'm thinking about getting a chiller for my 55 gallon tank. Right now I am using fans for evaporative cooling, set on the same timer as my Sunpod metal halide lighting system. They work okay, but I would like a cooling system that has a tighter control and I am worried about how well the fans...
  18. Gyr

question about online livestock purchases

I think I am ready to add some livestock to my 55 gal tank. It's been up and running (mostly as a live rock only tank) for over 2 years, but I didn't upgrade to metal halides (two 250 watt 48" Sunpod) until about 2 months ago. I think the water flow in my tank is pretty good with a SQWD for...
  19. Gyr

BTA vs SPS, who to introduce first?

I have been sitting on a Live Rock Only tank (OK, it's had a few actinodiscus corals, too) for a few years now and I up-graded to metal halides two months ago. I have added 2 M cap frags, a captive bred percula clown and coral beauty, and then had to cool my jets for a while till a nitrate bump...
  20. Gyr

overflow box vs. drilling hole in tank

I have a 55 gallon acrylic tank (0.25 inch thick walls) that is designed with an overflow built in the back. The water from the overflow chamber then spills over into a wet/dry filter area, then fills a return chamber from the bottom up. I am able to keep a few small balls of chaeto in the...