Search results

1. dwall174

Planted freshwater tank with prefilter/sump set-up?

Well if they were easy everyone would do it! My main concern is being able to leave the tank some-what unatended for close to a week at a time. I'm a truck driver & I was running over the road (out two weeks at a time) for the last few years, Recently swiched companies & now I'm home a lot...
  2. dwall174

Not surprising since it's probably over 15yrs. old, It's not been in use for the past 6yrs. But it ran good back then. Yeah I understand the process, And agree that a refugium would not work well in a planted set-up. Probably would work good in a FW fish only tank thou! That's what I'll...
  3. dwall174

I'm planning on using a substrate like flourite or Miracle Mud (freshwater) I also seen a way to make your own substrate from Bentonite clay (cat-litter) & several other items. Yeah I realize that a refugium would be counter productive on a FW set-up, But mine worked great on my SW system...
  4. dwall174

Yeah I miss the hobby, Hopefully with the changes to my work schedual I'll be able to get my feet wet again. My old SW set-up with a auto top off system & auto feeder could be left alone for about 5 days, But after that levels started to change pretty quickly. With the newer electronic...
  5. dwall174

I have a Ice-Cap 430 ballast that I used to run my actinics off of. My plans are for a 90gal. tank, So that should be good for starting off with! Yeah from what I have read it sounds like a C02 system is the way to go! But as you pointed out, The sump set-up will degas things faster. Seeing...
  6. dwall174

Hello All I've been out of the hobby for several years now due to beeing out of town & on the road a lot. Changes with my work schedual now give me more time at home so I'm looking into setting up a planted freshwater tank for now. I still have my RO/DI unit, storage tank & a...
  7. dwall174

Soap Dish Escape artist

Given the slow nature of a turtle & the territorial aspects of crabs I don't think I would try it! Crabs in general are scavengers and usually eat dead or injured fish, but given the chance he may go after the turtle.
  8. dwall174

Soap Dish Escape artist

The color & markings of your crab is "Cool" & different from the ones I have seen before. I was refering to your crab's body shape & style being like the Cardisoma armatum family which would make it Amphibious. Just an idea! Maybe you can build him an enclosure on top of your tank, out of...
  9. dwall174

Checking Back In

Thanks! I have some more pics of the tank it self but their on floppy discs & my new computer (laptop) doesn't have a floppy drive. Next time I get over to my brothers house I'm going to have him transfer all my floppy discs to DVD. Thanks! I orignaly planed to sell just the livestock &...
  10. dwall174

Checking Back In

Thanks for the Welcomes everyone!
  11. dwall174

Soap Dish Escape artist

Your crab looks like a Cardisoma Armatum Also known as Patriot, Rainbow, or soap box crab. Anyway they are amphibians & need dry land! They normaly stay at the waters edge near tide pools & "Brackish Water" they will do ok in either water but the brackish water helps in their molt cycle...
  12. dwall174

Checking Back In

Yea I'm hoping it will get better soon! I never had a problem with water changes, check This Post of my old system.
  13. dwall174

CRACK! Is it done for?

Looking at your pic. I notice the side is curved! Is this an acrylic tank? If so you can use some Weld-On Adhesive, Prob. # 3 which is water thin. Just let it run into the crack.
  14. dwall174

Checking Back In

Not new to the forum or the hobby! But do to my job & work keeping me away from home a lot I had to tare my system down almost two years ago. Thanks to this Automotive mess-up we have here in Southeast MI. I now have more time than I know what to do with. No money but a lot of time! Anyway...
  15. dwall174

AGA website?

This Link Has some good information on the process of tempered glass! At the bottom of the page it explains how to use Polarized glasses to view the glass.
  16. dwall174

Storing Live Rock

How long does the normal cooking process take? I’m looking at probably two months before I’ll be ready to set-up the tank! Thanks! I have 4 large pieces that weigh 12~18lbs each & one that’s 28lbs! There all covered in nice pink & purple coralline that I would hate to loose completely!
  17. dwall174

Storing Live Rock

Basically just the coralline! Yea I may end up doing that! But from what I have read I would lose all the coralline? I will be in & out a lot & not able to keep an eye on it. A friend of mine will let me set up a simple Rubbermaid tub with a light, powerhead, & heater in his basement, But I...
  18. dwall174

Storing Live Rock

Looks like I will be moving this spring, Probably into an apartment so I’m not sure what size tank I’ll have room for. I’m going to be taking my corals to a LFS for a store credit, But I would like to save some of my larger pieces of LR if possible! What would be the least amount of light &...
  19. dwall174

Brass & Dumb Mistake?

Thanks Everyone! That’s kind of what I had thought also! :(
  20. dwall174

Brass & Dumb Mistake?

I know there’s copper in the composition of brass but how much I’m not sure of. I’ve seen RO/DI systems that use solenoids valves & pressure gauges after the RO Membrane that have internal brass parts & they haven’t had any ill effects? I would just hate to waste 55 gallons of RO/DI water & Reef...