Search results

1. R

55g Reef beginner

you might want to switch out your filter system. Some carbons can leach phosphate into the water. I don't think it will have an affect on the rock too much (don't quote me on that) but I know coral doesn't like it. Good luck with everything and be patient!! Patience is one of the toughest...
  2. R

aquaeuro ps250 or coralife 220??

Was looking in the 200$ price range. I found a G3 used for 200 or a octo 150 recirc for 150, so I was looking more at those then brand new.
  3. R

The tank is only a 75 gallon, but I have always been told to go with what my budget allows. Plus, I don't plan on having the 75 forever and figured go big now and then when I upgrade the tank I won't have to upgrade the skimmer as well. I could possibly do in sump but would prefer not to, just...
  4. R

anyone have any input?
  5. R

so I've done some more research and have changed my mind completely. I am now looking at one of the octopus recirculating skimmers or have found a used asm g-3 that has the recirc mod, gate valve and mesh mod added to it. I am so confused by all of this. What I do know is the skimmer I have...
  6. R

I have limited my search of skimmers down to these two models and can't decide which one to get. I have found the 250 for 190$ and the 220 for 150$. Can anyone tell me which would be the best skimmer/value. I have a 75g mixed reef, medium bioload. (5 fish, 1 purple tang- 3" 2 clowns 1 gramma...
  7. R

Are these really nassarius snails?

Is Ilyanassa obsoleta or Ilyanassarius obsoleta really considered a nassarius snail? They both burrow and do the whole cleaning of the sand, but will the obsoleta snails be safe in my reef? Does anyone have any experience? Here is a google search on the snail Ilyanassa obsoleta - Google...
  8. R

Ebay aragonite sand?

Has anyone ordered aragonite sand from sellers on ebay? These are the two that I was looking at...
  9. R

DIY LED Lighting... is it worth the effort?

I've been studying the whole LED thing for almost 2 years now. It is not cheap and you have to do it right the first time or you will blow all of the LEDs. My system cost around 900 for a 4 footer and about 60 shipped for all of the parts. If you are really interested in doing this, check out...
  10. R

Great price for koralia 4's $33.99

no problem!
  11. R

Great price for koralia 4's $33.99

Just ordered two. Shipping was 13.99, plus they have a coupon code "TEN" which gave me another 10% off. Koralia Koralia Pump Power Head Aquarium Water Pumps
  12. R

MJ mod 1200 Too much flow??

Does anyone know where I can just get the prop and not the whole kit?
  13. R

I have two koralia 3's in my tank right now. Cant I just pop two of the MJ 1200 propellers in it, instead of getting the whole mod?
  14. R

I was looking at modding to of my MJ 1200's. Does anyone have experience with them on a 4 foot tank? (75 gallons to be exact) I was planning on mounting one on each end of the tank. I am worried that 2000ish gallons flowing from each of them will kick up all of my sand. Its a tiny bit...
  15. R

chicagoland

Do you have pictures of the frogspawn and rose anemones? Also what equipment do you have for sale?
  16. R

home made LED light

I am attempting to do this project again. I have decided to go with luxeon rebel because of there cost. They are much cheaper per led than any of the other ones. If you can surface mount I think its the best way to go, but its not for everyone. I am using one royal blue led to every two...
  17. R

Pinched Mantle question

the clam is under a 400 watt halide
  18. R

Pinched Mantle question

so as of this morning the derasa and gigas have better mantle extension then yesterday. The gigas' mantle looks like the edge of wet paper and the derasa has bleached patches in a few spots. Hoping they will recover. Is there anything that I should do to help theses guys survive? or is it...
  19. R

Pinched Mantle question

yep they are both on the bottom and the crocea is in the middle. the shrimp does not go near the derasa or crocea.
  20. R

Pinched Mantle question

so this is when the clam was healthy. I had to crop it to make it fit on here. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it gets any better. The derasa is looking like hell as well, but the crocea still looks great. I'm really confused as to what is going on because nothing else besides the...